Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Over the years I've had five Goldwings. My present model is an 86 Goldwing 1200. It's fine, I like it and it likes me, and the honeymoon is still on, but with most bikes, there's always something that bugs you. With my BMW, it was the indicator switches. I had no problem with them myself, but it didn't make sense that they were perverse, one on each side and a hidden turn off switch... With my wife's Suzuki Madura 700, it's the impossible to reach, ( unless you've got fingers like ET ) bolts on the carb covers. With my Goldwing, it was the screen. I'm five foot ten, but I couldn't see over the screen. OK, it does a good job, so I put up with it. However, despite my best cleaning efforts, in the rain, it was a nightmare. Rain stuck to it like glue, ( yes, I know, your going to recommend several rain dispersal products,but I swear, my screen was possessed, and nothing would work. ) I was coming back from Derbyshire last week, in the rain, and on three or four occasions, I went into a tree lined bend, and I couldn't see a thing, I rode in there blind... Enough, this was stupid. I didn't want to, but I had no choice, I cut the screen down so I can see over the top. Not only did I do a good job, the difference is amazing ! It's changed the way I ride in the wet, bring it on ! Coming back from the Stockport Motorcycle Show today, in the rain, I could actually see clearly. I felt much more comfortable and relaxed, I even had time to feel the heat rising from the engine, which kept me snug and warm and comfortable, something I hadn't felt in the past because I was struggling to see where I was going. I even appreciated my waterproof gloves, that didn't let a drop or rain in. What a different trip....

Just a little thing, but what a big difference.

Kev

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Good move.

My 1200 had a Tulsa tall windshield on it when I bought it. I didn't know any better at the timebut I hated it. Same reason, I couldn't see in the rain, and on cold evenings it would be all fogged up until I had moved about 3-4 miles.

It didn't take me long to figure out I needed a windshield I could see over.

I bought a stock windshield and I was soooooo much happier.

I was prepared to cut it down shorter, but I didn't need to.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I've been thinking of lowering my windshield as well. I have the stock windshield up to where I can still look over it, but I'm finding I prefer most of my riding with a better view over the top.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I have my windshield set at a height that I can look over it, yet duck behind it in the rain if I want to. Usually will just lower the visor on my helmet and keep looking over the top of the shield. I can see better that way.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's why I can't understand how folks like the extra tall windshields. I don't like any bike windshield that I can't see over or one that I have to stretch up to see over. I cut my brand new Cee Bailey down a good inch from stock height to get it where I want it. At the time I lived in an area that has weather somewhat similar to the UK, lots of light rain, sometimes not so light. Nothing worse than having a truck spray your screen with a load of dirty water or have your windshield suddenly fog over in the mountains. I like to be able to see the ground about 50-60' ahead of me over the top of the windshield sitting in the normal position on the bike. That actually gives me as good of weather protection as when the windshield was 2" taller. I can always raise it up a couple inches if there should be some reason but so far after several years the occasion hasn't arrived.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

well here is my deal... when i got my bike it had belonged to a REALLY short person who had cut it so far that the wind buffets me directly mid helmet.... I have a new one coming and HOPE its much higher because I ride in the elements at will and I need more protection

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

I went on a GOLDWING ride with our local GWRRA this week-end and found that in the the rain my visibility was hindered by the windshield. If I sat up straight and tall I could see over the windshield, but it really was not all that comfortable. I went on the computer to see what kind of seat pad I could get to raise me up about an inch so I could see over the windshield and I found a link for one from WAL-Mart. It is $20.00 and I bought the last one, so you are on your own. I recommend this seat pad. It fits PERFECT on the 1500. You will find the link on this site. It is the BEST $20.00 I have spent so far on the goldwing. It will form fit the Goldwing seat perfectly as if it were custom made for it. Play with it for a few and you will see exactly what I mean. If you do not believe it is a custom fit then you either are not placing it correctly on the seat (Try again, this time sliding it back further) or you already have a custom seat. Trust me you will NOT return this to wal-mart. It will easily pack in any of your bags, and will be a God Send when it is raining. I am 5'8" tall and with the Stock Windshield at it's lowest setting the seat pad places me right where I need to be for looking over the windshield.

FerrariMX5

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Looking over the windshield is the main riding position I like. The stock windshield was a little to short in the all down position (too much buffeting for me). But I liked seeing over it and in the up position it was used just to keep out of weather. I got the Kuryakin windshield which is 2" taller and 3" wider on each side and it is better for me.

Now I always ride with it in lowest position. It is right where if strong winds and rain start I can just sort of crouch down behind it. Otherwise I sit up and can see clear over it. It also has a little curvature up at the to so it throws the air bibble up a bit - making it easier to get out of the slipstream if I want.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Well, I guess so far I'm the only one that likes the tall windshield. Mine is a Tulsa and is 3 1/2" over. I like sitting behind it. Before the trike I had a shorter one that I could see over the top, didn't like it. Have you ever seen a rock coming at you at about twice your speed. It's really awesome, but so dangerous. Here where I live it is mostly sunny, it is tinted and really helps with the glare.

I would not change it for any short one. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I've always looked over. A rain spattered windshield plus a rain spattered faceshield adds up to a blind rider.

I bought an FJR1300 a few years ago and fell in love with the electric windshield. I'm AMAZED honda has yet to bring this feature to the GL as it is the best single improvement in motorcycling I've experienced in 37 years of riding..

There is an aftermarket electric version available for the GL1500. Last time I checked it was almost $700.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,505 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Well, I guess so far I'm the only one that likes the tall windshield. Mine is a Tulsa and is 3 1/2" over. I like sitting behind it.
Note quite, Bob.

I had my windscreen 2" above my line of sight. IF there was a real need to look over it, I could by just stretching up a bit.

For me, I hate stones coming at you like guided missiles. I can't count the number of them on the freeway to work/back. It is always under construction and is always littered with chipped stones that fling up out of the truck tire treads.

I have never had a problem with seeing through it in rain. The stuff just beads up and runs off. If I get into a fog and can't see through it, I just stop and wait it out. I don't want to be on a foggy road battling other stuff you can't see.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I have a Tulsa windshield on mine and love. Put some Rain-ex on it and you will not have a problem with the rain. Beads right off.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

I've been sruggling with this all summer. I took off my tall wraparound shield and installed a stock height. That drove me nuts because the height was right in my line of sight. So I cut a good 2-3 inches off, and now the wind buffeting is unbearable. I'm going to try cutting off another 2-3 inches to see if that helps. Soon as it gets alittle colder I'm going back to the tall shield. G

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Ricksawacs wrote:
I have a Tulsa windshield on mine and love. Put some Rain-ex on it and you will not have a problem with the rain. Beads right off.
I didn't know you could use rain-ex on plastic shields . . . no problems?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
imported post

i have not tried rain ex but i have used lemon pledge. woorks good in the rain and makes it easier to clean off the bug guts that you get up here.

just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

I have a Slip Streamer that is taller and wraps around on my 1100. Had the stock height on it when I bought and had the problem of the top getting in my line of sight. Love the taller sheild. Like Azgl1500 said, all I have to do is stretch up a bit to see over. At 6'2" that's not hard to do at all.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Hello KevS!

My 1986 Gold Wing 1200 is a carbon copy of yours that is pictured!!! I love mine and I ride it every day on my 52 mile round trip commute to work. I get an honest 43 mpg. I'll take that over my 17.9 on my Jeep any day! I am6 6' 5" so I can see over my screen but what a great idea you had!!! Just wanted to comment on it!!! Keep dry and keep ridin'!!

Big Swede

Lexington, N.C. USA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.