Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey everyone..i just bought my first goldwing aspencade 1200. so far i love it but how the heck do i get it on the center stand..LOL i tried it this evening and couldn't budge it..is there a trick to it or just bruit strength..i'm 61 and i dont have the stringth i once had..any help will be appreciated..mustache

·
Registered
106 Posts
imported post

I ride a '78 Gl1000 and it took me a while to figure out how to put het on the center stand. Till then I would put a short (12" long) 1x6 behind the rear tire the push her back on to the board. That extra inch makes going up very easy.

Someone finally showed me how to get her up. Its all in the push down with your foot while rocking back with the bike ( if that makes any since).

Hope this helps

PS; the board trick is really easy

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from Florida.

Do a search and you should be able to find a ton of information on it. I promise, it'll get better after you do it a couple times.

My trick is,,,,

#1 Leave the side stand down just in case.

#2 Grab the left grip with your left hand.

#3 Grab the bar at your passenger seat with your right hand.

#4 With your foot, get the center stand on the ground, and make sure the bike is balanced on it.

Then,,, with a rocking motion to the rear, push down hard with your foot, lift hard with your right hand and kinda pull to the rear with your left hand on the left grip.

The rocking motion is almost like a bouncing effect.

Some people suggest using a board cut like a V to roll the back tire up on as you put her on the stand.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks for the quick response. that's some good information..thanks again

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Make sure your tires and suspension are properly aired up; that makes a difference too.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

First grab the reargrip and the handle bar.

Get it balanced on the center stand with your foot putting pressure on it , slightly rock the bike side to side to get itbalanced on both legs of the stand, then bend your knees. Straighten your legs fast to sorta jump on the center stand while still holding pressure on it,while pulling the rear grip up. It will come right up.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:

Do a search and you should be able to find a ton of information on it. I promise, it'll get better after you do it a couple times.

My trick is,,,,

#4 With your foot, get the center stand on the ground, and make sure the bike is balanced on it.

Then,,, with a rocking motion to the rear, push down hard with your foot, lift hard with your right hand and kinda pull to the rear with your left hand on the left grip.

Some people suggest using a board cut like a V to roll the back tire up on as you put her on the stand.
Just to add to this method. As you rock the bike backwards and pull at the same time, try standing straight up on the right foot that's on the center stand. You'll be amazed at how easy this makes getting the bike on the center stand.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum! I feel giddy knowing exactly how to help you. I've had so much help from this forum that it's great to be able to give back.:cool: If you're like me and need a visual to get the message I have just the answer: Youtube. The first link is a front view, the second is from the rear and the 3rd is from the left side. I know the bike isn't fully loaded but the technique is the same.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0YSieDJMbuY&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=siJeVBF-Q9E&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8hem08a355w&feature=related

Notice how he turns the wheel slightly away from him so that any tendency for the bike to lean is toward him, not away. Lots of scratches on bikes from guys missing that slight detail. Also notice that the arm and leg motion are in opposition to each other: leg pushes down (straightens) while the arm pulls up and back. You'll also want to make sure to keep the back as straight as possible so as not to join the list of members who will remain nameless (E.B.) who have recently tweaked there backs.

And the previous posters are right. Practice is required to perfect the procedure.

Good luck :goofygrin:.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One thing that matters is level ground. If your garage or driveway has a slope you need the bike facing uphill when putting it on the centerstand. If it's facing down even a slight downgrade it will take King Kong to get it on the stand. Also it's a LOT easier to get up on the stand if you have the bike moving rearward just slightly when you put your whole weight on the stand extension.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

all great advice, dont let age worry you, I'm 62 11 stone dripping wet, and have no trouble pulling my 86 aspy up with luggage.

Its a knack, and a bit of practice will make it all pretty ho hum after a while.

all the very best with your ride,

good luck,

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Ya, I have no problem :cheeky1::cheeky1: I couldn't resist, it's the devil in me.:behead:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

I got close to death trying to put my 1500 on the stand so I went to Cyclemax and got a ride on,ride off stand. Worth every cent. I:m only 32.

Nah 63....

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:

My trick is,,,,

thats how i do the LTD:action:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I would recommend taking the time to watch the videos that were posted by wpgfire....I'm 51 and until I watched the video, I couldn't get mine up on the center stand without help... Now, it's just second nature...

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Great advice given so far!

My Wing is actually easier to put on the center stand than my 75 CB 500 twin and that bike weighs almost half what the Wing weighs!

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Lots of people recommending rocking and jumping and so on - I don't do any of that, and I'm only 160 lbs.

I think I've written this message about 4 times here, but I'm too lazy to try to search and find it, so here I go again:

I put it on the side stand. Then with my right foot, I push down the center stand until it contacts the ground. With left hand on left handlebar grip and right hand on left passenger grab bar, I gently push the bike upright while maintaining pressure on the center stand with my left foot, so that when the bike gets perfectly upright, the center stand holds it there.

Next, I stand up on the center stand with my right foot, while at the same time pulling up on the passenger grab bar. The bike will roll back and pop right up onto the center stand, every time, with a minimum of effort.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's what I meant by rearward motion but didn't say it well. The point is that once you start the bike moving back and up onto the stand you can't hesitate. It's got to be one smooth continuous motion or it can't be done. Kinda like pulling up the landing gear on an old armstron Mooney. You either got them up in one smooth motion or you had to drop them back down and try again.

·
Premium Member
12,778 Posts
imported post

I was having a hard time getting up ....oops wrong subject :D

Seriously , Its not hard once you have the knack sorted out . It does help if the pivot on the stand is lubricated . That might require the stand be removed to clean and grease . There was a noticable difference when I lubed the stand on my 1100.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

hey all thanks a million..i got home from work today and tryed it out it came right up..the trick to me was getting it balanced on both pegs.when i did that it came right up..i really appreciate all this feedback....THANKS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.