Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do I need to take the carbs off in order to clean them (cleaning "in situ")? If I were to use a cleaner like Seafoam or the Yamaha Carb Cleaner, is it recommended to add this directly to the fuel?

How do I access the carb bowls w/o removing the carbs?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I you clean the outside of the carbs while on the bike, there's a really, really good chance you'll eat some paint somewhere. The bowls are on the bottom of the carb, and obviously cannot be accessed without removing the carbs. Like changing a tire without taking the wheel off the bike.

Just grin and bare it, and you'll be wiser for the experience.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

you can un hook the fuel line from the tank and pump it through into the carbs... mix it with gasoline when you do this

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

sorry to ask what may be obvious to those here, but how would one "pump" the fuel and cleaner mixture through the fuel line?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

sorry. unhook from the tank side of the fuel pump... hook up a fuel hose that you put into the gas/cleaner mixture... the fuel pump will pump this into the carbs

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I did this just last night - I took the fuel line off right below the tank switch (turn the switch to off first), I put stuck a small one-dollar plastic funnel right in the line without adding any lines. I filled up the funnel with Sea Foam then started the motor with throttle half way open. The funnel will be drained pretty quickly as the pump (on the other side of the bike from the switch, hanging off and taking power from what looks like one of the cam shafts) pulls it through. I did this until it made it to the pistons which was pretty close to the 1/3 pint recommended on the bottle. When it started smoking I let it sit while I finished up other stuff (loosening rust-welded screws!!). After half an hour or so I reconnected the gas line to the switch, started it again and throttled it (it wouldn't just idle while running on sea foam without gas mixed in) until the smoke stop coming out, which signaled regular gas had made it back into the system.

I'm no expert but it worked for me.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Well done. I usually mix carb cleaner with my petrol during the winter months when I ride the 1200 less. It probably stops the carbs getting gummed up.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Just for fun I decided to try randakks method of cleaning carbs without removing them on a 81 1100 I am working on. I already planned to remove and clean the carbs anyway, but wanted to put it to the test. He states he did it with a set of carbs that sat for 3 or 4 years and had fuel left in them when parked. This bike has been done the same way for about the same time over 3 years. I mixed the yamaha carb cleaner as stated and did what he said and repeated 4 times, left if overnight 2 times. I will say it would barely run when I got it, it did improve some each time I added the cleaner, but it never did smooth out enough to idle good. It did run very good after 2500-3000 rpms. I tried to move the pilot screws before removing the carbs but they were stuck, plus with the limiters I would not have been able to remove and spray them anyway,this is one place the 1100 carbs can not be done exactly like the 1000 carbs, he states he takes the pilot needles out and sprays through the passage ways. I think it could have made a big difference in the way this 1100 runs if I could have done it. But there was stillstopped up tubes and passageways and some small particles in the carbs including the jelled stuff. No way it would have ever got all that out.

I believe water had gotten in there some time or another to form the opaque jell. Itdoes not suprise me that another mechanic in a bottle did not work, I just wanted to test it. Test FAILED. It might do good on carbs that just need a little cleaning and ones you can remove the pilot needles without taking carbs off.

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
sorry. unhook from the tank side of the fuel pump... hook up a fuel hose that you put into the gas/cleaner mixture... the fuel pump will pump this into the carbs
:clapper:NICE!:clapper::clapper:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.