Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For this tactic I have been called brilliant and a heartless fiend. When I reached financial stability in my 30's, I realized that I could buy (just about) every motorcycle that I had lusted over in my youth. I used this tactic for several years and accumulated many nice bikes. Some I still have.

Things are different now because of the Internet. Sellers have a much larger audience so this may not work like it used to.

I will now share with you my evil/genius. See what you think.

I would save all of the want adds from every newspaper and shopper every week for the whole year. Then, one week before Christmas, I would call up the seller and ask if they still had the motorcycle for sale. If the wife answered the phone I would have to hold the receiver away from my ear for the typical scream of "YES WE DO!" I would then, upon viewing the motorcycle, make a ridiculously low offer. If I got a 'no", I would thank him for his time, turnand walk for the door. I usually did not make it to the door.

The ones I did not get to by Christmas weren't a problem either. In Wisconsin, the first installment (1/2) of property tax is due by January 15th, so anytime from the middle of December to the middle of January worked just fine.

So what's the verdict? Genius, or pure evil?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i figure it this way

1. pay cash no credit
2. pray to god its maintaince free "that way the wife cant find a reason to grip more"
3. drive the H outta it
4. sell it for more than what you bought it for after a gazillion miles and memories
5. repeat step 1-5

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Buying bikes around here is easy. The internet helps BIG, because the only place I look is on Craigslist. There are a LOT of desperate sellers on there, trying to get what they can out of their bikes to feed their families or make the house payment. We have the highest unemployment rate in the nation, and the banks have foreclosed on tens of thousands of houses. Most people have very little in the way of job prospects. I'm lucky, because I just happen to be in an occupation that there is no shortage of customers for A/C repair/replacement.

One of the reasons I have so many bikes is because of what I have bought off Craigslist during the past 3 years, and that includes the Goldwing. I knew it had some problems, but got it ridiculously cheap. I just should have out more thought into buying a fuel injected bike, and found something else. But I will make it work.

The flip side to that is, it is almost impossible to sell a bike without almost giving it away. As cheap as I got them, I would loose money selling my bikes. People here just don't have any money. I got my Yamaha XT225 a couple of years ago, for $300, from a guy desperate for money to buy his kids Christmas presents. It was probably worth around $1500. I felt bad about it, but at least he was able to get his kids something for Christmas. I got a bike AND got my kids something for Christmas.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

I'm not comfortable with gaining by taking advantage of someone elses misfortune. I'll leave that for those that need to. I'm pretty fortunate right now to be (at least currently) beyond buying used. I also realise that I may some day be the unfortunate one and don't like the thought of being bent over, or forced to settle for an unfair deal simply because I am over the coals. So... I try to make the world I want to live in.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

MichiganWing wrote:
I'm not comfortable with gaining by taking advantage of someone elses misfortune. I'll leave that for those that need to. I'm pretty fortunate right now to be (at least currently) beyond buying used. I also realise that I may some day be the unfortunate one and don't like the thought of being bent over, or forced to settle for an unfair deal simply because I am over the coals. So... I try to make the world I want to live in.
I'm not either, but he had it on there for a week before I bought it. He seemed to be happy about it. Buying used is now my only option, the cost of new bikes is simply absurd. The Honda NV700 costs as much as a Smart car, and the top of the line 2012 Goldwing costs 2 1/2 times as much. About the only bike I could afford to buy brand new anymore would be a Honda Rebel, and I already have one.

I make decent money, but that HUGE bill you get when you have your A/C worked on or replaced, well, the owner of the company gets most of that. I am paid by the hour.

Not that long ago, there were great deals on discontinued leftover models. I got my '09 Ninja 500 in late '09 for $4599 OTD. MSRP was $5499, normal OTD would have been about $6599. But all the leftovers have now been sold, and there are no more reasonably priced bikes out there. Add to that the fact that most new bikes are coming with electronic fuel injection, catalytic exhausts, and antilock brakes, and I don't want them anyway. I'm an old guy, and I want "real" motorcycles. So used it is.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

I have a personal limit of $1 per cc for bikes. Obviously, I never buy new, or go into debt on them. The only time I ever did was when I took over payments on my brother-in-law's Sportster because he was moving and couldn't take it. I had to sell it to my best friend the day before the repo man came looking for it.

I usually get one and ride it until it isn't worth fixing anymore, and then sell it or trade it for ???

Right now, in this area, prices are stupidly high on Craigslist. Many of them are 2 or 3 times what they're worth, just because of the season. They drop back to reasonable close to the winter and early spring seasons.

Strangely, older Goldwings are the most reasonably priced bikes around here. They're probably the best bargain that you can find considering their long life. I've actually been considering picking up another one.
:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

MichiganWing wrote:
For the seller the brutal truth is it's worth what you get for it. Selling a personal item isn't really much different than selling a stock. When no one wants it the price drops.

The hardest part is when the seller owes more than he is being offered, the curse of the low down payment. Even in that case selling and still owing a bitat least improves his cash flow. He pays on thedifference between what was owed and what he gotbut that will be less than before. Also no insurance or storage fees.

Regardless of the market I tend to base an offer on what the item is worth to me. I am very happy with my 1500 so if someone wanted to sell me a late model 1800 my offer would beextremely low. I don't have room for a second bike so my offer on another 1500 would be an insult.

However if something happened to my present 1500 I would seriously loosen the purse strings.

I saw a picture of a 1000 that sold up here a couple of years ago and it was such asweet looking bikeI would seriously open the vault for itandI would make space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.