Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I knew that would pull you in here! :ROFL:Well the old girl is getting ready for repainting and I am appalled at how much dirt is all over the guts. While it's really tempting to pull out the power washer and have a go at it, I know that would probably do more harm than good with all of the electrics. My airplane background tells me to use Varsol as that evaporates fairly quickly. Problem is that I have no Varsol or solvent gun. What would you do?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Here is another view of her stripped down. I'm not sure how to post multiple photos. Sorry about the bump...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I think I would use a regular water hose to wash her down....At least that is what I am thinking on doing to mine before I put her clothes back on.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

You're right :sadguy:, it got me in.

Anywho, I'd put a plastic bag over the intake inlets, take out the batteryand hose it down, then give it about 24hrs + to dry out before reinstalling the battery.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

First... let me say that I cannot tear my eyes away from those trees in the background of your second image.... from here in the drought parched, wildfire burning wastelands of Texas... those trees look awfully inviting. And what's that? Is that window behind your bike OPEN??? Surely not! There is no occasion ever here in Texas that would warrant opening a window and allowing the air conditioning to escape into the atmosphere. That would just NOT happen... ever... ever, ever!

An open window is a totally foreign concept to me...

Okay... about your question. I have done similar things to my bike. Cover what needs to be covered. Hose lightly. (operative word here is "lightly") Spray full strength Simple Green on where you need it. Go at it with a 2" sash paint brush. (Buy a cheap one from Walmart.) Rinse... lightly. Repeat as necessary... address detail areas. Stay with it.

Wipe, wipe, wipe... and then wipe some more. Use cotton swabs and a rag covered screwdriver to address corners, crooks and cannies. Lift the carcass... and wipe wipe wipe some more... then rinse... the wipe more...

Then just when it starts to look good... do the whole thing over and wipe some more...

Believe me... it's worth it. Later it makes the bike much easier to work on... AND you will find minor problems before they become major problems.

Dirt = Wear
Clean = Care

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Actually we are in a terrible drought also. My ranch is parched and burnt dirt. (see pic)
The window is open on my old motorcycle shed as it's nice and cool today for a change. I've sold nearly all of my cows and things are looking pretty bleak on the ranching end of things around here.

Anyway, the simple green idea sounds good and I may try that. Thanks for the tips folks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Spray all the electrics with wd-40 first. Buy three cans of cheap engine wash. Autozone or similar brand. Smells like diesel. Aerosol, foams a bit. Use the proper brushes. Doesn't evaporate quickly so you can take your time. Your average garden hose with a nozzle washes it all off nicely but even better with a pressure washer. Use the leaf blower to dry it. Compressed air in all the connectors. I've done it that way many times and will do it to a generator on the morrow. Three bucks for the stuff and a brush and you get oily and stinky but you have a clean bike.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I had mine stripped down farther than that. I had the whole rear end out of it, except for the swingarm. Had both shocks, rear wheel, and final drive removed, as well as the bag and trunk support brackets and complete fairing. Also had the passenger floorboards removed. I used a lot of gasoline, SuperTech degreaser and Supertech carb cleaner from Wallymart, as well as a product called Castrol Superclean. Be careful with that one, it can damage aluminum, paint, and even clearcoat. But it sure does remove dirt well. I used several brushes, from paint brushes to toothbrushed, and one really stiff round parts cleaning brush. I used a spray nozzle on a garden hose, no pressure washer. I covered the air filter, exhaust pipe ends, and removed the battery. I figure I have over 10 hours worth of work, and close to $100 worth of cleaning chemicals into it. It's still not perfect, but close. After all the cleaning, I sprayed the entire bike down with WD-40, which I buy in one gallon cans, and put into a trigger sprayer, let it sit overnight, then went over it lightly with a fine mist spray the next day. Some of the WD-40 came off, but not all of it, it still left a coating, avoiding that dull dry look.

Obviously after such a cleaning you have a lot of lubricating to do. I changed the oil, just in case some water might have found it's way into the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I use compressed air to blow off the dust, then use one of those garden spray jugs that you pump full of air to spray her down lightly, then scrub with various brushes dipped in a cleaning solution (simple green works well, as well as dawn dish soap). Then I spray again and wipe/dry. then repeat as much as necessary. :) I haven't had much of the tupperware off though so... Maybe a project for spring time.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

My deep clean method is to pour some degreaser in a plastic bucket, and buy a pack of cheap chip brushes. I use the brushes to scrub the dirt off everything I can reach, then I use bottle brushes I got from Harbor Freight. These help me get most of the nooks and crannies. To rinse, I use my thumb over the end of the garden hose, and rinse her down. I then use air to blow off water where I can, and stay away from electronics/connectors. After she sits for a while, and is good and dry, I spray pure silicone that dries quickly. GM sells some great silicone spray. It makes everything nice and supple again, and don't leave oil all over the place. By the way, I really like Rustolium black for frames. I would NOT use silicone or anything untill after you paint! It'll fisheye like crazy if you try to paint over silicone! Good luck with your project! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
imported post

Had our 84 apart like you, for a good cleaning. Lots of different brushes and WD, didn't plan on painting. But I like or prefer a leaf blower. Removes most of the water and help with the drying. But I know I spent a good couple of days at it. Clean brush dry, find more clean brush dry etc
Electric blower worked better than our gas one, easy off and on.
Finally washed with Dawn dish soap, really cleans off oil and grease.
Maybe that could be a commercial for Dawn? Naw most people wouldn't have a clue :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

why not, they show them cleaning ducks with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.