Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm no carb expert. My spark plugs are always black and have been for the past year and a half since I had the carbs out. I have not checked compression yet, it could be leaking rings or whatever causing the black soot. The bike runs fine, I get OK mileage, not really any problems now.

What things are possible to do to 'lean' the carb system. I don't remember how many turns out on the idle mixture screws, but I could easily change that. The float heights were triple checked, I know they are dead on. I have never seen any nice brown plugs, always black. I have the normal NGKs in there, just put in a new set a couple weeks ago.

I could just leave it alone if it works, but I would like to know what if any adjustments I can do. I don't mind tweaking a little?

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

Try turning the idle mix screws in 1/2 turn and run it then check the plugs again. Make sure your air filter is clean and the choke is opening all the way.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

One way to check to see if the rich mixture is at idle or at high speed is to take the bike out for a fast highway run then kill the engine and coast to a stop. Pull a plug and have a look. If it's black, it's not just a rich idle mixture.

Q

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.