Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

HI,
Is there any way to determine if an ODO has been rolled over?
I've an '82 Aspencade that has been rescued( the last time by myself). It had been sitting, so I'm told, outdoors for something like seven years. That's going by the last time it was insured. I put about 5 or 6 k on it before I parked it.
I'm currently working on un-pickling her now after about 5 years. I've ran it on occasion but haven't put any klicks on it.
So if I do the math, 27 years old - 12 years idle = 15 years ridden. 37000 / 15 = approx. 2,466 /year. Same assumptions but at 137000 = 9133 /year.
Neither are particularly outlandish.
I'm not all that worried about it.....Just a mystery I'd like to solve.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

Well, historically motorcycles are usually a toy and not ridden properly to keep them in good condition.

I am opting for the lessor of the two.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

How clean is the engine overall. Does it have alot of grease, oil, and diet caked on it especially underneath. If it does then chances are it is 137,000 if not and it's just dirty, and rustywith years of sitting then you probabaly located an actual 37,00 mile engine.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

That's kind of tough, without a title search. I've got an '86 Aspy with near 90k on it that's clean as a pin, and a 1500 with 64k that looks like hell.

One thing you could look at is the wheels.Those tires shouldhave only been changed 2 or 3 times. If the wheels are all scarred up, that might be a clue.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

thanks for your reply
When I first got the bike, It was relatively gunk free exterior engine wise.. bike had that weathered look you would expect from sitting out in the elements, but aside from the windscreen being cloudy and scratched up,mostly cosmetic. Everything works(well now anyway) and nothing was missing. Shocks and forks leak but that could be from sitting as well I suspect.
The exact numbers escape me, but a compression test showed 3 cylinders within a couple of pounds of each other and number 4 being 15# lower. Injecting oil into #4 didn't really seem to make much difference. Valves? I never could get 4 to sync with 1 using a mercury tube thingy, and syncing 1 & 4 to 2 & 3 was an exercise in frustration!
Even at that the bike seemed to run fine.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

I ran into this also , 39,000 or 139,000 on an 85 . From the car insurance clan i had some ideas , the wheel being marked up from tire changes is a good one . How about the seat wear ? Foot peg rubbers ? hand grips ? items that would show a lot of wear with the high mileage or little where from the low mileage . I concluded mine was 39,000 . No proof but very likely based on logic .

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Although Baby looks like she only has 79000kms, I now realize that she has to have179000 as my mech told me on my last visit ( new belts , oil & brakes) that if I ever have any electrical problems, I should look @ the harrness first off as he saiys it is quite cracked and old looking. Even suggested that if i could find one, it would be to my advantage to replace the entire wiring harness. So with that I do now believe that Baby has 179000 kms on her. But she still runs like a dream & I love her.:clapper::clapper::clapper::action::action::action::action::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Good points all. Seat is perfect, foot peg rubbers don't show much wear, so all things being equal perhaps it is only 37 k. ah it don't really matter anyway still a sweet ride!
Thanks for your input, folks.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I guess if anyone ever asks me (my 78 is NOT for sale) I'll just have to show them my log book with tvery tank of gas for 123K

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I was parked on Canada st. in Lake George at Amercade a few yrs ago and at the time my 81 wing had 107k and change on her and the crowd was mingeling through the streets checking out the bikes. Acouple guys were taking a close look at my wing and one said to the other, Wow! this bike looks like new and it's only got 7k on it, must be the owner never rides it. I was leaning up against a light pole near by and I said try 107k on it and they said no way, I siad way. So in a nut shell it could have 7k on it and look like crap or it could have 107k on it and looks like a peach ya never know.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Rotor ware is another indicator. Not just one rotor or the other but look at all three. Just an indicator an not full proof ..... can look for rock pittingon the bottom of the engine and center standin conjuntion with what was previously mentioned. You could talk to previous owners also...

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

wingd wrote:
So in a nut shell it could have 7k on it and look like crap or it could have 107k on it and looks like a peach ya never know.

Looking thru the forum photo gallery will confirm this ......:blowingup:

Some look pretty bad with only a few miles on them and some look pretty good with a lot of miles on them.

only 44,000 miles .....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Far more likely the bike has the 37,000 on it. Most of the old 'Wings I've refurbished and put back on the road when I had my shop were below 70,000 miles. Several were below 30k. A lot of people buy a bike, ride it a bit and then decide that isn't their thing. They let sit around long enough to get scruffy and sell it to someone else who rides it a bit and then has something go wrong and park it for ages. That kind of thing doesn't run up a lot of miles over time. If I were buying an older bike I'd be happier to find one that had a lot of miles on it, miles of use don't hurt one nearly as much as sitting around unused for years.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the other thing with the really early wings.... the real riders often moved up when the interstates and then aspencades came out.... so a lot of 1000's had milage put on early, and then were replaced and were used less and less by the newer owners

the one in my avatar has 123K

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

The brake rotors are a great indication. The look a little gouged at 60+ K miles.

The seat and exhaust is another place to look.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

Another good point. The break rotors look really good actually. Wear marks certainly but no gouging at all. Pretty smooth in fact. The exhaust was quite pitted with surface rust and the left one was kinda squashed near the head. I have since replaced them with a set of macs I got cheap.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
The brake rotors are a great indication. The look a little gouged at 60+ K miles.

The seat and exhaust is another place to look.
I never thought of that and my 81 wing has 118+k on it and the rear rotor is original and is worn a bit. The two front ones have 70k on them and are in decent shape. But my pipes are near mint and they are the originals. I've always kept her in a garage since day one,nice and dry and clean, that's why thay last.

Here she is!

Notice the 83 wheels ? did the swap 20 yrs ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.