Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decide to clean my hazard button. Was a nightmare to get it out after turning it on. I have gone through few treads yesterday but didn't find a proper one. So decide to do it my self for others. After all this job my button works as new.

Firs need to open 2 screws to open/separate a switch box:

Heat Flame Auto part Gas Metal

Separate 2 units, open a screw holding wire bracket and beside it is a body of hazard switch. 1 screw holding it:

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Fuel line Carburetor

Open it and gently pull the switch out. Be patience as there is 3 small springs and 2 little contacts in the body that can get missing if body will open by forcing it out. :

Electronics Technology Auto part Electronic component Electronic device

Now you have to take extra care: take top white plastic cover (is only contact insulation), release one side of black wired body with screwdriver and slowly open it (3 springs and 2 contacts are inside that part).
Here you are separating wired contact plate, black button handle with 2 spring pushed contact and spring in a back, white cover with key (so if you push ones locks in is push twice it releases). That were is all the greasy muck:

Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronic component Sensor

Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory Electronic component

And some left on wired part:

Bicycle part Auto part Brake Vehicle Vehicle brake

You have to clean it well. I didn't have any other solution so used a rag and petrol. Then dried it and lubricated with WD40. You can use electronic dust cleaner or any other solution that are able to dissolve grease/oil. For lubricant can be used any thin oil or silicone. Just a little bit. As all dust and muck easy sticks to it. And possibly after few years have to do same again. :

Sand

Now everything goes backwards. I slide black button body into white frame cover with key in it, then load 2 spring, slide 2 contacts on the top, got release spring in the back. All this slowly cared to wired contact part and lock it in a place:

Auto part Engine Technology Electrical wiring Vehicle

Orange Auto part Technology Automotive lighting Electronic device

Then slide the button in a hole, lock a nut, tide cables with metal plate, join 2 switch body part on a handle bar and lock with the 2 screws I got out at first. DONE :claps::

Auto part Photography Cameras & optics Camera accessory

I got it done in an hour. If you take your time, be patience, don't loose any parts and it pays of. Here is video of hazard switch operating after I done the job:

http://youtu.be/lhks3yycdYk

:):claps:

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Nice post. Well done

·
Honda Guru
2,086 Posts
VERY well done!! I also can't emphasize enough how careful you have to be to do this job.

Great photography!!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,982 Posts
Excellent job and photography is great.

Made the Index to Forum list :claps:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,439 Posts
Great how-to.
It should be noted that the same techniques can be used on most of the switches on these bikes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great how-to.
It should be noted that the same techniques can be used on most of the switches on these bikes.
That is great. I did liked to "say" thanks with hazard lights to other that let me go. And I couldn't use it for a year. And it's back now :) Need to do start switch now and I'm laughing.

Hope will be a good help to others :readit:

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I've heard that a plastic bag put over the switch and then take it apart also helps so you don't loose any small pieces. Has anybody ever done it this way? Also, instead of taking the switch apart how about drilling a small hole in the white plastic cover and then spraying contact cleaner in the hole to force the crud out? (Just a thought).

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Concerning the starter/reverse switch, it would depend on weather the starter switch was just sticking and not popping back out or if it was not making good electrical contact to activate the starter relay.

If it is just sticking, spray might work. If not making good electrical contact to activate the starter relay, then it needs to be disassembled and cleaned. BTDT...!

I've heard that a plastic bag put over the switch and then take it apart also helps so you don't loose any small pieces. Has anybody ever done it this way? Also, instead of taking the switch apart how about drilling a small hole in the white plastic cover and then spraying contact cleaner in the hole to force the crud out? (Just a thought).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plastic bag it's a great idea :claps: Would keep all the parts inside. The hole.... No I wouldn't do that. Its a very sticky muck inside. And if you checked my pictures or have seen it yourself the biggest build up is in grooves where springs and contacts sit. You will not get in there. It didn't wash away with a petrol, I have to rub a cloth to clean it. So I don't think I would drill a hole. It just may work for short while and I guess will be worst afterwards. I do like to do and forget about it. Not to keep doing same.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Concerning the starter/reverse switch, it would depend on weather the starter switch was just sticking and not popping back out or if it was not making good electrical contact to activate the starter relay.

If it is just sticking, spray might work. If not making good electrical contact to activate the starter relay, then it needs to be disassembled and cleaned. BTDT...!
Yes DBohrer it was sticking previously have sprayed lubricant and start working but start making weak contact on same time. So I will take it apart and will clean it properly. It has to be very easy.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I'm just afraid with my luck I'll open the switch up and all the parts and springs will disappear even in a plastic bag, then what? These old fingers don't work like they use too, that's for sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm just afraid with my luck I'll open the switch up and all the parts and springs will disappear even in a plastic bag, then what? These old fingers don't work like they use too, that's for sure.
I understand :) I thing you have to be self confidence with anything you do. And it always end up good. Doubt will make your hands shaky. And it something you don't want by doing jobs like this.
If you want to spray it any way just take the top white cover of the switch body and spray around the black wired part. It may work for a while. But ideal is to clean all the insides out and light lubricate it.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
It's a short trip over the pond from Ireland to Connecticut so how about coming over and doing that switch plus my mute button as well as my cruse control button, that would be GREAT! So when will you be here???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a short trip over the pond from Ireland to Connecticut so how about coming over and doing that switch plus my mute button as well as my cruse control button, that would be GREAT! So when will you be here???
I don't mind to help. But the pond is huge :ROFL:Have never been in US. Will give you a hand with it if I make my way there. :?

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
RKB53, Just remove the switch cluster, send it to him for cleaning. Over the winter when you can't ride....Lol.....!

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
:claps::claps::claps: Bravo !!!

Very nice Job... I did mine last year and I was worry it would not explose on me like a jerck in a box knowing there are springs in there.

This is soo nice for all first timer on this matter I wish I had it .

This should be kept as a reference a sticky or a how-to.

:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.