Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So i got a deal and a half at a local auction a pallet of goldwing parts for 5 bucks. Anyways i needed taillights and the ones i go have a clearcoat sprayed over it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get it off.

Also the last person sprayed a krackel paint over the origional paint and i am looking to either sell them or sand them down and repaint it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Clear coat on tail lights? :shock:Some people and their kids :gunhead:

That's probably gonna get rough, but I'd say gently wet sand it or use some fine steel wool 'til you hit the plastic, then buff it back. It'll get pretty tricky around the raised letter bits, but I don't think stripper would be very safe on plastic, and regular sanding would kill it.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Might try one of the products they use to refinish plastic head light lens not sure if it would be easy to lift the clear coat but stuff pulls the yellow off of clearplexiglass and won't hurt the lens. MCGUIRE'Smakes a good one that I have used on a few things might give it a try.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I will give that a try thanks. Luckly there is a detail shop next door to my work .maybe I van get some ideas from them. Any ideas on how to get the crappy paint off the side bags. They used a wrinkle pain on it (for some dumb reason) . It's also on the false tank (witch I kinda need) or would it be worth it just to treat it Like a regular fender?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Clear coat on tail lights? :shock: Some people and their kids :gunhead:

That's probably gonna get rough, but I'd say gently wet sand it or use some fine steel wool 'til you hit the plastic, then buff it back.  It'll get pretty tricky around the raised letter bits, but I don't think stripper would be very safe on plastic, and regular sanding would kill it.
I think what they did was sprayed clear coat over the whole bike cause its everywhere . It's a lot of work but winters coming so what else do I have to do?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Some of that may depend on what they did to prep the work they went over. If they just went over some decent paint might be able to stip the top off of it and just have to deal with org. paint and finish. IF they took it down a ways and prep, was right and go to strip it might get into ABS not good. Try a test spot and see what is underneth if it just comes off easy in peices and finish still undernethmight be able to strip it lightly. Hard to tell without seeing it.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

from the looks of this paint job there was no prep work <geez> its just sprayed on. the back sides of the bag were not touched im not even sure if they took it off the bike. ill give it a try thanks. And i will let you know.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

I would spray them up with oven cleaner let them sit a little while and it should wipe

off pretty easy. Good Luck, John

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Problem is, clearcoat is paint, and anything that removes paint also damages plastic. It could be sanded off the painted plastic parts, which would then have to be repainted. But getting it off plastic tail light lenses is going to be tough, if even possible. You might try regular paint thinner, but any keytone based solvent, like acetone or lacquer thinner will melt the plastic. I wonder if the clearcoat is lacquer or polyurethane based? you might try soaking those lenses in gasoline or WD-40.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

If it were me, I'd go talk toa reputableauto body shop in your area. Chances are a rookie painter may have made a blooper and got some over spray on a taillight or something. They may know how to undo that mistake.

At the very least if its a reputable shop they could tell you if your quest is even possible.

If you go this route you might be able to skip some of the trial and error and possibly stop an irreversible mistake.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

I have been trying to get clearcoat off my paint. I have used 500, 1000 and 1500 wet sandpaper. It is a lot of elbow grease for a very sketchy result. I was hoping to save the paint, but i think I will just have to suck it up and take the pieces I want touched up to the paint shack.

I wonder if the oven cleaner will work??? Hey, if i need to paint it anyway, what the hell..... Ok, then the question begs, how long do I put it in the oven for, and at what temperature??

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

CanadianRocky wrote:
I have been trying to get clearcoat off my paint. I have used 500, 1000 and 1500 wet sandpaper. It is a lot of elbow grease for a very sketchy result. I was hoping to save the paint, but i think I will just have to suck it up and take the pieces I want touched up to the paint shack.

I wonder if the oven cleaner will work??? Hey, if i need to paint it anyway, what the hell..... Ok, then the question begs, how long do I put it in the oven for, and at what temperature??
DO not put it in the oven !! OMG LOL ...... Justspray the oven cleaner on it and let it sit a half hour and so and see what happens. If it clouds it up the get some maguires plastic/lens cleaner polish at wally world or some lens cleaner at a auto parts store and that should make it nice like new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.