Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got an '83 Aspencade on Monday and can't get it on the center stand. Can someone share some tricks for that?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

Front wheel straight ahead.
Left hand on the left grip.
Make sure that both of the center stand legs are touching the ground. If they are not level, it makes it much harder.
Facing forward, step on the extended ball section of the center stand with your rightfoot.

Right hand on the front cross bar of the left side bag.

Lift with right hand while pushing down with right foot. Once you get the technique it will be simple.

I fought for months with my little CB360 until I figured it out. Now the GW goes up just as easily.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

1) Put your left hand on the handlebars.
2) Put the heel of your right foot on the center stand.
3) Reach down with your right hand and grab the crash guard for your saddle bags.
4) Lift and pull back.

It should go right up. Yes, it can take a little practice but shouldn't be too hard.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

Search youtube, there's where I learned it.

Stand on CS arm and get bike balanced on both feet. Knee bent, grab left hand grip with your left hand & luggage rack frame or seat bottom with your right. Now, stand up straight as you rock the bike back.Let your leg do the lifting! It would take a power lifter to get it up there with just your arms.

Ride safe.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

The biggest problem is that people fear when standing wing up straight that it is going to fall away from them.

Have someone stand on the other side and stand the wing straight up so that both legs of the center stand touch the floor, then follow above steps to put on stand.

Practice makes perfect:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Attach a sidecar.

:cheesygrin:

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

I use a 1x6 about a foot long and roll the rear tire up on that,then put the center stand down and pull back,easy as pie!

·
Premium Member
105 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

I lift & push I'll have to try that just standing on it :action::action:

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

If you watch that video you'll notice he leans into the bike for an effortless lift.

Pat

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

I keep my suspension at just about 5 lbs because I like it low and there is no bottoming out issue.

If you put some air in the rear, you'll find putting it on the center stand A LOT easier.

I don't put mine on the CS often so made a small ramp out of some old facia board I had lying around. Stacked 3 on a pyramid and beveled the edges. Ride up and over with the front and land on the rear. HOWEVER, I'm 6'1" so my feet have no problem touching the ground and holding the bike steady while I get off and engage the stand.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

nopeda wrote:
can't get it on the center stand. Can someone share some tricks for that?
That's what she said. :DI'm sorry. I couldn't resist.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

MNSNOWMAN wrote:
nopeda wrote:
 can't get it on the center stand. Can someone share some tricks for that?
That's what she said. :D I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.
:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I put all models of 'Wing up on the center stand the same way. Grasp the handlebar withleft hand, right hand on the passenger grab handle, ball of the right foot on the center stand pedal, right knee against the seat. Lean forward to press the bike upright with the knee while putting some weight on the stand pedal. Once you feel the bike come to vertical on both stand feet put all your weight on the stand pedal and up she comes. I don't lift on the passenger handle or pull the bike backward at all, just foot pressure on the centerstand pedal does it all. It's important to get the whole effort a smooth transition, once you start the bike up there can be no hesitation or you'll lose the momentum and have to start over again. I weigh about 180 on the hoof and have no problem with 1000s through 1800s. I have done it often with Teva sandals on too. It's all technique, not muscle.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I have found that fellow riders who have a problem all seem to make the same mistake... I'm talking GL1800's here. Procedures like posted above are correct... however, one has to lift in "ONE" fluid motion. Not slow halfway up... but one motion. My good friend always struggled with his 2002. Finally while over at his house I took off my boot and put it up on the center stand in my sox! He was blown away! It's all technique. Rocky has a video where he does it bootless also. Exavid, abovehit it on the head.

Corventure Dave

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

the 1x6 thing. ;)

yeppers ! works great on GL1000's fully loaded too !

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Handlebar straight ahead !!!!
I'm 6'5"-265 lbs in good physical shape and this can make it a 'go' or 'no go' even for me at times. Such as on inclines etc. Like everyone is saying, don't try to pull it up by hand. Just grab the hand grip and bars. Bend yer
leg(s) slightly, straighten your upper body then basically just 'stand up'.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

first of spread them legs as wide as you can go slap one thigh and slam it to the ground, slap the other thigh and slam it to the ground

say ooookaaa chaka 3 times, rip your shirt off like hulk hogan does

then try to flip the bike on the stand

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

SMC wrote:
If you put some air in the rear, you'll find putting it on the center stand A LOT easier.
Duh?? I see lots of clever tricks mentioned here, but having the bike as high as possible to begin with makes sense. The air compressor is your friend. Use it.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I grab my neighbor when he's not busy :toast: otherwise, I just go for it like everyone said above. I cheat sometimes and have a block that I put on the right side under the bike that just touches it for my mental stability. I just wish I had 1 spot on my driveway that was actually level....all hill :weightlifter:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.