Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really struggling here...
During the winter I keep my bike garaged. Easy enough to put some traps around the bike.

In the summer though the bike sits covered on the driveway.

Either a mouse or chipmunk loves to climb on top of the motor and into the false tank area. Maybe even the fairing. Behind he leaves feces and acorns.

When I first purchased the bike it had a nest in the front fairing and a chewed up radio harness.

My answer thus far is to stick a canning jar filled with hot pepper and dryer sheets next to the gas cap. I also sprinkle ground hot pepper around the ground and on top of the motor.

It seems to work but yesterday I smelled stale urine coming off the bike. Could be cooking off the motor or from up inside the fairing.

Any suggestions? Maybe a glue trap on top of the motor?

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
Moth balls.

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
Never seen a left handed Mossberg before.

·
Magic Moderator
4,208 Posts
If you can find Peppermint Extract you can use that too. A couple of members of another forum use that in their homes and cars to keep rodents out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have aluminum mesh gutter guard screwed in place over the intakes to keep them out of the air filter.

I'll try adding mothballs. Potato flakes? That's interesting... if it works then it sounds like a good solution too.

I've tried peppermint essential oil and it doesn't seem to work.

Based off online reports from various sources anything used can become ignored after a time if he rodent is desperate to make a home there.

That said I think if I just change it up from time to time that will do the trick. It's summer here and the latest they'd be looking to nest is fall when the bike goes inside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in the country and have problems in my garage and cabin. I built a multi animal trap for each location and it works well. It diverts the rodents into the trap and they die. (Unfortunately not a pleasant death). Use a five gallon (industrial) pale; drill a small hole about three inches down from the rim and the same opposite; using a metal coat hanger, straightened, push it through one hole then a soda can and then the other hole; using a bit of tape, block the soda can from moving alone the hanger wire; prepare a board from the floor to the rim of the pale (I use a 1x3 about 3 feet long with a nail through one end so it doesn't slip off the pale); put about 4 or 5 inches of water in the pale; and finally, a little peanut on the ramp and the soda can. Simple, cheep, effective. In operation the rodent is attracted up the ramp and reaches for the peanut butter on the can, jumps, falls, and...

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Black Cat makes bait blocks and plastic holders for them. I put a small one in the trunk of my GL1800. Haven't had a problem since. Never take it out except to put a new block in each year. Each time a little nibbled on. I also use D-Con and Black Cat blocks in the garage, just have to keep the dog out of there.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
We have had this problem for YEARS....in the bikes, in the cars, in the van...ate a 4" strip of the seat off on the 75 FLH.....Mostly just plain rats and mice....The best solution was when we purchased a electronic rat trap off eBay....7,000 volts....THIS GETS THE RATS....The rats made beds with the mothballs...they licked up the cayenne pepper powder...yumm.....cheap snap Mouse traps are the most effective "mouse" trap...cheese or peanut butter works good..I use dry cat food in the 7,000 volt trap.....Snap Rat Traps work once....and then never again...It's like the rest of them have a learning curve that teaches the ALL the perils of Rat Traps....I have tried poison bait...they eat it all and come back the next night for more...go figure...
So, in summary, get a electronic trap for rats and set cheap little snap traps for mice....
I have had limited luck with the two flap door metal traps....once you catch a mouse in one of them, THEN you can catch more mice because they catch the sent of the first mouse....May take a while to catch the first one...a little cheese in the metal trap helps...
This is after 15 years of trying everything I could find....

·
Administrator
57,366 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts