Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new owner of a well kept 1983 goldwing gL1100 aspencade. However, I'm 73 years old and I haven't ridden a motorcycle this big before. I need to boost my skills and confidence to pass a road test for a motorcycle driver's license. My bike has fallen over twice, and I haven't been able to get it back up by myself. It fell over the first time while I was making a sharp turn at low speed on grass. I had assistance from the previous owner and we were barely able to lift it back up. The second time it fell over (by itself) when it was parked on soft ground using the center stand. I used a farm jack plus assistance from my wife to lift it. I think I'm not strong enough to lift it upright by myself. I'm also worried that I will not be able to pass the slow maneuvers in my driver's test.

I have watched young people lift heavy bikes on you tube videos. I think my legs are not strong enough to use their techniques. Is there a small portable jack that I can use that will make it easier for me to lift my bike without help? Are there any inexpensive training wheels that I could temporarily use while I practice turning at low speed? I can't afford to trike my bike, and I wish I would have bought a lighter motorcycle in the first place. Thanks for listening to my story and I would appreciate your comments.

·
Premium Member
58,934 Posts
Hallo johnhoff

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts
She should not have used the rack on the saddlebag lid but it worked.

·
Administrator
57,672 Posts
you are watching the videos where the folks back up to the bike, and grab a handlebar and the passenger hand grip?

I am 78 and so far, I can still do this.

Neither of these videos put the bike in gear, NOT good.
Put it in gear, lock the front wheel brake.

This is an older bike, but it illustrates that a small featured women can pick it up. Don't grab the trunk lid rack, that will brake the plastic real quick... she got lucky.

this is a gl1800 that has been laid down on its' right side.
This allows the lifter to lock the front wheel brake..... if the bike is over on its' left side, I would suggest using a Bunge Cord to wrap around the right hand brake lever to keep the front wheel from rolling. Makes it ever so much easier.

Watch, an older guy and maybe his wife? both are white haired folks.

·
Administrator
21,900 Posts
I really suggest you find and attend a couple of the MSF rider courses. The beginner course should help with dropping the bike, and maybe even how to pick it up, if needed.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Check out the video. It is a two piece pole with a stop so no pin required. Pretty crude setup, but I'm sure it works ok. I don't begrudge someone making a profit, but over $200 gimme a break.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow. Much food for thought and I'm feeling more bullish now. Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments and appropriate suggestions! I'll respond more fully after I've had time to study the materials. Thanks again, John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The province of Ontario defines a motorcycle as a self-propelled vehicle with a seat or saddle for the driver designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the road. The insta-trike would not fit this definition. Too bad because it looks like a good value. Does anyone have experience with the insta-trike? I looked at the moto bike jack and it looks good, if expensive for just a ratchet strap and a pole. I'm might try making an even cheaper tool that utilizes the ratchet strap. I'll let you know what I come up with, but it might be awhile...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Velcro strap, bungie cord, shoelace, etc.
Someone mentioned forgetting the side stand so they got to try out both right and left side lifting techniques, when the dropped it, twice!

·
Administrator
57,672 Posts
I carried velcro double sided straps for a long time, over 15 years, they finally "got lost" somehow.
Bunge cords are a good thing to always carry in your bags, use them for a lot of things.
Only took once, to learn me to put the Sidestand down 1st, before I picked it up from the off side

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks FredFromArnold. I have a ratchet strap now and will attach it to a 2x4 or a 2x6 and try lifting my gold wing. Hope it works!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts