Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
57,963 Posts
I would just see how many feet of strap the ratchet can wind up.
hook it to something, then use your body weight to lean back against the strap, and start ratcheting until the ratchet is bound up tight.

How many feet of strap is on the reel now?
Would that be enough to get the bike up high enough for you to get control of it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would just see how many feet of strap the ratchet can wind up.
hook it to something, then use your body weight to lean back against the strap, and start ratcheting until the ratchet is bound up tight.

How many feet of strap is on the reel now?
Would that be enough to get the bike up high enough for you to get control of it?
Thanks for the suggestion. The strap is 10' long, so that's not a problem. I will attach the ratchet to the top of a 3' long 2x4 and unwind as much as I need, about 3'. The ratchet strap is rated for 1000 lbs working load, so that should not be a problem either. The whole bike is supposed to weigh 750 lbs loaded with gas, oil, etc. If I had a 750 lb weight that I could attach to the hook on the end of the strap, I would try to lift that. I don't think I have such a thing around here, so I will just go ahead and risk using it to lift the motorcycle. The worst that could happen is I would have to use my heavy duty farm jack again which will easily lift it. I noticed that I can buy a scissor jack rated for 1.5 tons on amazon for only $25. That might work if the distance from the ground underneath the bike to the frame of the motorcycle is less than 3.5", which is why I like the ratchet strap idea better. The hook on the end of the ratchet strap does not require more than about 1/2" ground clearance.

·
Administrator
24,668 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. The strap is 10' long, so that's not a problem. I will attach the ratchet to the top of a 3' long 2x4 and unwind as much as I need, about 3'.
Most small ratchet straps won't wind up anywhere near 3' of strap, maybe 1' at most but hooked in the right place it may be enough.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds like he got one of the newer retracting types. They can wind in their entire length. However, they tend to have shorter handles and less grunt overall. I especially like them bolted to trailers. Just pull out the strap, hook the load and give it a few clicks and you're done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Most small ratchet straps won't wind up anywhere near 3' of strap, maybe 1' at most but hooked in the right place it may be enough.
People around here use them for securing loads in pickups and trailers. Mine were 2/$35 at Canadian Tire on sale. The handle seems short so a heavy fallen bike may be harder to lift with it than if using a more heavy duty ratchet strap with a higher rating. I'm wondering if a metal 2x4 would have any advantages over a wood one. Ultimately, I will need to have a jack hack that can fit into the trunk of my motorcycle and 3' is on the lengthy side.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts