Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1981 Honda Goldwing GL1100 and need to to lower it. I'm 5'9" and the bike is a little tall for me.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

+Some cut the seat down, others get shorter rear shocks but you can't take much off there, other drop the front forks by letting the tubes come up through the tree a bit..but that effects handling the most.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

chop it in half and trike it, that way it either dont need to be lower or ya can build it lower. i lowered mine by moving the rear shock mounts back 2 inches:waving:

jim

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

jim-uk wrote:
chop it in half and trike it, that way it either dont need to be lower or ya can build it lower. i lowered mine by moving the rear shock mounts back 2 inches:waving:

jim
Can you post some pics on how you did the relocation of the shock mount?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the reply. I will probably take some padding out of the seat to start with. So far, after reading through the manual, I found the front forks to be over inflated. the book calls for 14-21 psi and it read 32.5. I thought that the front suspension felt a little hard. Got to get a hand pump and put some air back in it , by the time I checked it a couple of times, I had let out to much air and it is now at 4.5 psi (really dropped the front end). I still have the rear to check, but believe the valve is under the seat.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The valve for the rear shocks is under the right side cover. No more than 52 psi for them.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Jim - UK, I would like to make a trike out of it, but haven't found an afordable kit yet. My wife wants a trike, she is really short. If I can't get the bike lower with air pressure and seat padding removal, I may have to move the rear shock mount back. Thanks

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Download a manual from the web.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I don't even run air in my front forks. Rides too rough otherwise. It still has springs and damping regardless.

BTW change out the fork oil if you haven't done so. Mine was dark brown, and swapping it out with the recommended ATF really smoothed out the ride.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Chris, I know it was really stiff with too much air in it, but was really solf and bouncy with 4.5 lbs. I've got 12.5 in it now and will try it both ways.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

If I were you, I would get progressive springs for the forks and don't worry about air again. You'll love the difference.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

RB, To me, that type of kit does not make it a trike. It makes it a motorcycle with traing wheels, actually a four wheeler. That's a lot of money for training wheels. Thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Wingd, After I found that the front forks were over inflated, I lowered the air pressure and lowered the rear also. I havn't had a chance to try it out yet , but I think that it may work. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.