Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I'm sitting here trying to kick myself in the a**e for putting the bike down today. Was on the way to work. About 30 yards to T intersection. Car took a quick sharp left at the top of the T. Into my lane. I was going about 35. Into the grass on right side. About 6 inches high, and recently cut leaving tons of wet loose crap. Kept the bike straight about 15 yards. No luck braking. Rear end slowly fishtailing. Came to a slight L to R incline. Bike went down and I went left. Bike caught me on my left ankle. Very quick thump but didn't feel too bad. Looked at bike and saw that windshield was shot. No other real damage other then a few loose pieces.

Sat for awhile getting my composure. Tried to get up with no luck. Ankle was deformed, probably broken. At least it didn't hurt too much! Luckily a few people stopped and assisted me. One gentlemen in a pickup was also an 1800 rider. I mention this because he rode my bike home. He called a friend at work just down the road. They were John and Russ. If John happens to be a member, again many THANKS! Russ drove me home and also called the ambulance.

I consider myself lucky in that there was no bike damage other than the windshield but for me a dislocated and broken ankle. Will see orthopedist tomorrow.

Well, the reason for the post. Is there a recommended way to improve control on wet deep grass?

Well, my season is over but at least I'm here for the next one.

psu

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear this happend,Glad that is all that happend and prayers you mend quick and no future complications,.

Wet grass down shift let off throttle and ride . we all tend to panic or hit brakes ,Truth is it happens so fast sometimes it over before we can react. but try let off throttle and downshift before entering grss but ride it you still have control till you let control go.But like said before it can happen so fast that it all we can do.

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
imported post

[align=center]well im sorry you broke your ankle but it coulda been lots worse. i ride a scrambler in the grass and the tyres are made for it. Goldwing tyres and road tyres are no good for grass and probably useless on wet grass,,,
its all down to luck and you just had enough of it not to break anything worse than your ankle. i hope you are better soon.
[/align]

·
It aint rocket science
3,931 Posts
imported post

So sorry to hear this happen. Don't beat yourself up man, just keep going forward and heal quick.

JD

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Wow, sorry to here about your mishap. I wish you a speedy recovery from your injuries. Let me guess. The vehicle thatrun you off the road into the grass kept going.

I thought I was having a bad day when I woke up to a flat tire and then knock it off center stand breaking my windshield. I was fortunate enought to get away from it before it pinned me between it and the boat. I was in garage and windshield hit boat as it fell over.

Good luck with your recovery.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

As with any situation in which you experience a sudden change in surface / traction...no sudden changes, continue doing what you were doing but to a lesser degree until you either stop, or control returns.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,834 Posts
imported post

sorry for your mishap, glad that you will be riding again next year.

Wet grass?
1) luck
2) no brakes, downshift once maybe and off the throttle
3) try to go with the flow, never quit riding, stay on the bike, don't put your feet down. Squeeze that thing hard, trying to keep your feet on the pegs.

You found out what happens when the foot meets ground and the bike follows hitting your foot.

I'm good at giving instructions, sometimes lucky reacting on them, and once pinched an ankle really hard right in my driveway. Engine coughed, and down it went, I put my foot down while it was still moving..... against my own wisdom, but instinct .... ah....

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Wet grass or loose gravel, I pull in the clutch, stay off the brakes and coast, hopefully to a better surface. But Lightnin is right, things happen fast; panic and instinct sometimes gets us in trouble.

Remember, Monday morning quarterbacking is not only easy, it's always right!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear of your accident.

Advice; Keep your ankle elevated above heart level to reduce swelling and keep pain to a minimum.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

God speed your recovery psu. Wet grass and loose gravel are the main enemy of road bikers, you don't have much chance against them.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Johns right, never hit the brakes if you can. As long as the bike stays up right, your riding and your safe, if you feel it starting to go over, let it go, at low speeds, the crash bars will do most of the impact.

Did you by chance get the plate on the car that ran you off the road? File a police report? I would, then you can file a claim against his/her insurance co.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear this but can't help as there is no grass in Nevada. get well soon :needahug::action:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Sux to hear!!

Wet grass and loose gravel SUCK!! best thing to do is everything against natural reaction. Pull in the clutch, NO BRAKE and coast to a stop and DON'T TURN!! Keep the wheel as straight as possible.. Been there done that...

Will definitely make your ***hole grab your underware!!

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Wet grass + Don't even think about the brakes + don't downshift + just pull in the clutch and keep it straight until you have control and can gently use the rear brake only, to slow it down = your only chance of keeping it upright.

In truth the only thing that is going to save your bacon in that situation is experience in that situation.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hello again everyone,

Thanks for the kind words and riding suggestions. Saw orthopedist today. Not as good as I hoped. Broken fibula, dislocated ankle-ball and socket not lining up, and torn ligaments/tendons.

Will require surgery to install plate and an assortment of screws. Follow-up to remove a few of the screws and cast for about 6 weeks of non-weight bearing movement. Yea!

But it does beat the alternative with minimal bike damage.

psu

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Damn sorry to hear it was worse than feared. Get better soon!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

WOW, sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i dropped my bike on wet grass once it sucked.... in a split second the rear tire went from crawling to spinnin like a mad demon, next thing i knew the rear end went one way i flew off the other way luckily my legs didnt get caught in the crash bars or anything

basically if you have a dirt bike with the stud tires you got half of a chance, on a street bike with smooth tires.. good luck

get well heal up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.