Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everyone.

Well, I have done a search on this forum and not found the magic key combination required, so does any one know how to make the clock stay displaying the time on a type II radio?

I know it can be done, every now and then I will do it by accident, but no matter how hard I try, I can never deliberately make it stay on!
The answer is driving me nuts!
I even bought a user manual for the '82 Aspencade off EBAY thinking it would have the answer to this question (and my other on how to use the intercom), waited for it to arrive from the USA, and it hardly mentions it and says nothing about the intercom! Agh!!
(It was not a waste of money, but it sure was disappointing).

So, I have seen it stay on for hours and change to the radio frequency when you tune or select a memory, and then change back to the time, but how to get it in this mode in the first place?

(I have grafted a GPS into the dash (Post coming with photos on this one) so I can have the time and speed, so I dont NEED it, I just dont like being beat by this sort of thing).

Thanks.

Ben.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

The clock on my 83 stayed on one time also. I have no idea as to the why or how of it though :baffled:! Sorry, but I guess you will be nuts for a while longer. I will also be watching for an answer. It is a little curious!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The only time I have ever seen my clock remain on is with the ignition switch in the off position.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
The only time I have ever seen my clock remain on is with the ignition switch in the off position.

Same here. I took the easy way out- I got a clock from another Maxima and put it in the center spot on my gauge console. :) Works like a charm...even has a security LED, so if you wire it up, looks like an alarm system.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I got an 83 Aspy in May with 114K miles on it. I'm still getting out bugs but hope to have the forks back on this weekend and riding a bit. Will probably pull the engine next week to get to an oil leak.

Oh yeah, about the clock. It came with two manuals, one for the motorcycle and one for the electronics. On the question of the radio it says that if you push the "clock" button, just above the "AM/FM" selector knob in the bottom center of the radio it will display the time for 5 seconds and then return to radio frequency display. It goes on to say that if you depress the button the time will be displayed even if the unit and ignition are off. According to the manual there is no way to set the radio to display the time constantly.

The intercom controls are the two knobs above the radio. The intercom is a volume sensitive system. It will only work when noise reaches the microphone. To use the system trun the left knob clockwise past the initial click and the system isgoes from speaker mode to headset mode. Continue turning clockwise to increase the sensitivity. The more you turn the knob on the left the less volume is required to activate the intercom. You must also turn the knob on the right clockwise past the click to turn on the headset and then continue turning until the desired earphone volume is obtained. It goes on to say that wind noise can cause activation of the intercom and adjustment may be required to reduce unwanted intercom activation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I have an 82 aspencade and have the same problem. Sometimes the time comes up when I start the bike, but as soon as I change channels it goes away. Has anyone solved how to keep it on?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Bill, the bad new is that when these radios were designed, they were set up to display the radio channel. To my knowledge, no one has found a way to change it.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:I installed the complete Type II audiosystem including the Super Sound optionon my '83 Interstate in 1983 and every part of it still functios without any glitches. The clock displays the time only when I push the yellow button and goes back to the radio frequency after a few seconds. This is the way the system was designed and why would you want the time constantly displayed.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.