Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My project bike is coming along................................slowly.

I am nearly finished sanding and painting the boring bits. Soon it will be time to turn my attention to the engine. On my list of "things to do to the engine" is 'paint'.

I purchased paint for my brake calipers. Got 'VHT' or Very High Temperature paint. The can says that I have to bake the bits at something like 100°C for an hour to set the paint.

My question is: what sort of paint do I use to re-paint the engine. Do I have to use somethign similar to the ' VHT' paint?I can imagine sneaking the brake calipers into the kitchen for an hour or so when the wife is out, but the engine aint going to fit in the oven!!

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

come to texas, paint and set it outside in 100 degree sun:cheeky1:

seriously, i bought some high temp. paint from walmart, it was engine paint.

painted it and just let dry. mine turned out nice.

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

yeah what z said it's friggin hot here:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::waving:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Yup, Mark is right,

I have painted a few engines for bikes with just rattle can spray paint.

Some of the paint was marked engine paint and some was paint for wood stoves and such.

All the jobs turned out great and lasted for years.

PS, Not hot here. Wore leathers for a long trip yesterday. It's now only 52 F and going to a high of 68 F today. Great Riding weather.

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,828 Posts
imported post

Dupli-Color high temp engine paint #1615. Just spray and let dry. Caution though. Follow instructions carefully. You have to finish all coats within the specified time. Any coats after drying will wrinkle, even a year from now.

·
Premium Member
5,406 Posts
imported post

I don't suggest cooking any parts in the kitchen oven unless you want your next pot roast to taste like baked paint. For small parts pick up a chaep toaster oven at a garage sale.

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
I don't suggest cooking any parts in the kitchen oven unless you want your next pot roast to taste like baked paint. For small parts pick up a chaep toaster oven at a garage sale.
LOL , I have been there and done that too . I was maybe 14 and black engines were just becoming all the rage in MX type bikes . So I hace my C110 honda 50 engine apart and decided a baked paint job was in order . I'll just say mom weren't none to happy when she got home :(. I never did that again .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.