Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boys, I'm really up a creek here. Just put progressives on a 1999 GL1500 Goldwing. I've tried about everything I can think of to get the caps back on but no luck so far. There has just got to be a fairly simple way to get them on and I'm ready to listen to anything.

Thanks,
Jerrno

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
At least you know you're up a creek. I just looked at my 96, and unfortunately, I'd say it's time to pull the forks off. No fork that I ever pulled off and down, ever had anything but that easily strippable fine thread on the caps. How much grief do you want to put yourself through, if you strip the threads? Or, have that spring loaded cap come flying at you if you didn't get more than a half turn on the cap? I've done the 1200's several times, and the 1800's, both were not easy. I have a pedestal vise, in goes the fork, a box wrench with the cap, and I end up leaning down on it while walking around the vise. Next time I do it, I'm going to build a tool to push the spring down, and hold the cap in place while I calmly screw it in.

Your choice.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
you have the front end lifted and supported- so the forks are fully extended?

A good socket on a long extension, a folded-up rag over the end of ratchet (to protect your chest) and lean into it

Mark where the thread starts on the tube and the cap-- align those before attempting to start thread

Note with Prog springs you reduce the amount of fork oil by 2 ounces in each fork.
Should leave you with ~10-11 oz fork oil

If you added full OE spec thats why you cant get the caps on- The Universe looking out for you!!
Too much fluid foams, making it worthless at its job

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
At least you know you're up a creek. I just looked at my 96, and unfortunately, I'd say it's time to pull the forks off. No fork that I ever pulled off and down, ever had anything but that easily strippable fine thread on the caps. How much grief do you want to put yourself through, if you strip the threads? Or, have that spring loaded cap come flying at you if you didn't get more than a half turn on the cap? I've done the 1200's several times, and the 1800's, both were not easy.
I can put the caps on 1800 forks with my bare hands and I ain't near as strong as I once was. 12 & 1500s are not easy I agree.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I use a speed handle and an extension. It makes it a lot easier than using a ratchet handle.

That's a great idea!

I picked up a bar clamp for when the forks are off the bike to compress the cap/spring and use a wrench under the foot on the cap. A ratcheting box wrench helps. Or a bushing to give room for the wrench. I've also used the ratchet under the bar clamp.

I've heard of people using ratchet straps in place of the bar clamp with the ratchet pinned under as well.

·
It aint rocket science
3,806 Posts
When off the bike I have an assistant hold the fork tube extended and straight up while resting on the ground. I bear down compressing the spring and when the cap touches tube assistant turns the tube engaging threads.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Brethren
There is a tutorial on this site walking you through this chore.It involves buying s couple 2 inch flange clamps some& threaded rod,all available at the hardware, to make a tool that wraps around the tree for reinforcement & works very well for R&R of those pesky springs Of course you can always purchase the fork spring compresser tool from Honda for $300 but I've found taking the time to make the clamps works very well ! :wink2:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I used a 16" long piece of PVC pipe that fit snug on the cap. That way I could push down and try and get the threads started - which is always the hardest part

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to each and everyone of you for your help. I got the springs in and caps on. They seem to work fine and feel a little different and seem to hug the road a little better.

Jerrno

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
I use a speed handle and an extension. It makes it a lot easier than using a ratchet handle.
And I have a piece of 2x4 with a recess bored to accept the swivel end of speed wrench against my chest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.