Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there a way to remove the blue heat color from the exhaust pipes? I tried some Mothers Chrome cleaner did not help.:?

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Yeah......theres sumthin' out there. I think it's called "Blue Gone" or something like that. I thought it was from Mothers. It's not regular chrome polish, but made to take the blue off. I ran into it surfin' the net one day........ can't remember where though, fried to many brain cells.

I think this is what I saw....... don't know if it works.

Here it is:

http://www.smartwax-usa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SW%2DMETAL

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

There is a product called "blue job" specifically for that. It is a fine powder that u mix with water and buff into effected item.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

There is also a product called "The Bom" which is a liquid form or very close to the "Blue Job"

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well the real life situation with blued pipes is live with them. I used to ride Harleys and no matter how you tuned the bike or what heat range plugs you used, with time the pipes will blue, turn gold, all the colors of the rainbow.

These products will help a bit, the first time or two, however it they have been blued for a time, the color is the same all the way through the chrome coating.

Heat shields on the exhaust is about the only way to deal with it, cover up the blue and let it go.

Kit

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I agree with Kit , I have found nothing works , but if you see a dog piss on your pipes wash it off before starting your engine ,,,they will turn blue right before your eyes ,,,that is if your watching!!!
It will not come off.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Nothing works is correct. The chrome is over heated; too lean / too rich, whatever. Cheap exhausts are thin and the situation is worse.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Agree with the rest,I even coated the inside of my cycleshack pipes (spent $30 for the kit!)for my harley & still wound up with bluing.If you're willing to spend time with fine steel wool,along with mothers polish,after every ride, you can keep up with it,but thats only if you plan to have the bike judged.Otherwise go with the heat shields!

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

A bike without some blue on the pipes just looks like it don't get enough exercise.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I'll agree with the others that there is not a permanent fix. I've had Harleys, Triumphs and so on and have always used Simichrome paste in the tube. It works great on chrome, brass, silver for a while.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

A few years back a product (a paste) called "Blue-a-way"
was available. worked like a hot damn!! Have not seen it for some time. Most bikes have twin walled pipes so bluing is usually not an ongoing problem. check fuel mixture and plug heat type as well!!

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Ducky's right, Simichrome and Blueaway is still available at several places and works. Plugs and fuel mixture is also a factor. This stuff keeps the pipes turning color for a long time. I've never needed to use it on my Wing of 21 years. Tuning the engine is a key.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Now that it has been mentioned.... I think it was Blue-a-way I had seen. It was on a harley or custom site.

I agree with the majority......... not worth the hassle, let'em ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.