Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I want to remove my stock exhaust as I think I have a leak in one of the header pipes that I hope to weld up. I also want to replace the exhaust gaskets too. I can't seem to find any information on the site about how to do all of this. If anyone has some advice it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

There are only the hangers off the mufflers and the 4 nuts per side that hold the headers to the head.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

poolguy wrote:
I want to remove my stock exhaust as I think I have a leak in one of the header pipes that I hope to weld up. I also want to replace the exhaust gaskets too. I can't seem to find any information on the site about how to do all of this. If anyone has some advice it would be much appreciated! Thanks!
The 84/85 have one piece headers so the front crash guards need to be removed to drop the headers.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

There are 3 main parts total. Two headers, right and left, that attach to the bottom of the heads with a total of 8 nuts, 4 per side, the the rear mufflers, which are actually one piece, they are joined at a crossover in front of the rear wheel. Once you remove the headers, or exhaust manifolds, whatever you want to call them from the engine, The only thing left holding the rest of the system on is the lower bolts and nuts that go through the passenger floorboards. It will be the lowest ones. When you reinstall the system, you will likely have to replace all 4 header to head gaskets, and both header to muffler gaskets. Be VERY careful trying to loosen the header nuts from the engine, they may be rusted, and it is easy to break the stud off in the head.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Sorry it took so long to get back to this topic. I will try to remove my exhaust as soon as my bike gets back from the painters. I may try to buy a complete used exhaust from flea bay depending on how bad mine looks once i get it off the bike. Thanks for all of the help folks!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I left the front fairing on the bike as I did not want to mess with taking everything loose. The painter is a family member, so no worries unless I see him driving a very naked wing around town!:shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.