Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
A few years ago I tried to ride my 1500 thru a mud wash out area, only 20 ft of road covered with mud. I was going to follow a rut from a truck looked easy enough, nice and slow and then the front tire pulled me into the mud and over I went. I was laying on my side in the mud and the bike was taking a nap on it's side. It didn't hurt me or the bike but for the life of me I could not pick up the motor cycle and I'm pretty big. Every time I tried my feet would slide in the mud and then there was this lady in a car that was blocked because I was in the middle of the road in the middle of nowhere. She was a real bitch about it kept saying do you have a plan and I would say let me get back to you. Finally a guy came along and helped me get the bike upright and I rode it out with him helping balance the bike. I learned a lot of lesson's that day and I don't ride thru mud or loose gravel anymore. So can I pick up a Goldwing that has fallen on it's side, it depends.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Jerry Burns: I feel your pain. This spring I thought I could lay mine over in my rock driveway instead of my swampy yard to change rear tire. Just a thin layer of small rocks.
Oops! No traction.
I dug out some foot holds to push off from.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,312 Posts
I just came across a video showing a small lady picking up her Goldwing

this from the left side, but the right side is much the same.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
After church and lunch, I changed clothes and rolled the '06 out onto the drive (concrete) 15 minutes later the bike was back in the garage, rear wheel swapped to my spare D250 and tools put up. I'll be 67 in a couple weeks and have NEVER been considered a strong man. Just do it!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I use the in ground lift I have. Made it easy. I had an old rim and tire i put on for the time being while it sat on lift till I got the new tire on rim.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
I just came across a video showing a small lady picking up her Goldwing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql2LU1SRtIY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2jikKw7uwQqVS13U0E229pmpaPBL74laO_lR5MLKuPZNs1tms-dfmOZOY

this from the left side, but the right side is much the same.

She did well picking the bike up but she grabbed the chrome trim on the saddlebag lid to pick it up. That is a good way to damage the lid. It is only held on the lid by four screws and pulling on it like that could break the lid. She should have pulled it up by putting her left hand on a stronger point on the bike, maybe the rear crash bar.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,312 Posts
I noticed that, the guy with her should have cautioned against that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
All these "pick the bike up" videos have one thing in common. A controlled situation, with the Gold Wing on it's cylinder heads.
When I dumped mine last summer, it was while riding up the side of a hill, at full lock. I went too slow. I had stopped because I was getting tired riding, in the unfamiliar 113 degree temps! My brain was not working at it's usual 65%!!! To pick it up I had to pick it up off of the handle bar end and saddlebag cover. Also, had to pick the bike up against the hill beside the bike. I locked the steering, but couldn't do it. Luckily, a guy in a truck came and helped me.
I guess changing the tire in the driveway may work, but it is almost as fast to do it properly. I'd go ask an expert, the Service Tech. at a Honda Shop. See if he lays her over!? But, to each their own!

·
Administrator
25,793 Posts
I guess changing the tire in the driveway may work, but it is almost as fast to do it properly. I'd go ask an expert, the Service Tech. at a Honda Shop. See if he lays her over!? But, to each their own!
Laying it down is the best way if you have no other way, a service tech is not going to have that problem. It's a way different situation than dropping your bike on an uphill turn.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,312 Posts
All these "pick the bike up" videos have one thing in common. A controlled situation, with the Gold Wing on it's cylinder heads.
When I dumped mine last summer, it was while riding up the side of a hill, at full lock. I went too slow. I had stopped because I was getting tired riding, in the unfamiliar 113 degree temps! My brain was not working at it's usual 65%!!! To pick it up I had to pick it up off of the handle bar end and saddlebag cover. Also, had to pick the bike up against the hill beside the bike. I locked the steering, but couldn't do it. Luckily, a guy in a truck came and helped me.
When I flew down to Tampa, FL to get my 'new to me' "98SE", I had a duffel bag sitting up vertical on the pillion seat. it was strapped in solid, and weighed about 50+ lbs..... boots, heavy coat, rain gear, two weeks of laundry so I did not have to do any going home....

when I started out heading north on I-75, I was about to pass a horse trailer that was in the right lane, I was about 45* behind and to his left....

The left front trailer tire blew up, the entire casing came off the inner core, and it made a direct hit to the front of my "brand new" bike.... :(

luckily the casing struck a glancing blow on the right side, swiping off some chrome bits...... I could see some pieces hanging out, so decided to pull over to check it out.

the berm was slanted downhill about 15 degrees..... that usually does not bother me, but that 98SE had a Heel Toe shifter and floorboards....
those floorboards prevented me from getting my right foot down onto the terra firma, and down we went to the right side. I just pulled my foot up and let it go.

the crash guards did exactly what they were supposed to, nothing was broken, not even the Baker Wind wings.

Instead of unstrapping the duffel bag, I picked it up and set it up and over onto the side stand..... lord uh mercy, it was almost more than I could do.... that was one hell of a load....... never again, I will unload the bike first..

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
When I flew down to Tampa, FL to get my 'new to me' "98SE", I had a duffel bag sitting up vertical on the pillion seat. it was strapped in solid, and weighed about 50+ lbs..... boots, heavy coat, rain gear, two weeks of laundry so I did not have to do any going home....

when I started out heading north on I-75, I was about to pass a horse trailer that was in the right lane, I was about 45* behind and to his left....

The left front trailer tire blew up, the entire casing came off the inner core, and it made a direct hit to the front of my "brand new" bike.... :(

luckily the casing struck a glancing blow on the right side, swiping off some chrome bits...... I could see some pieces hanging out, so decided to pull over to check it out.

the berm was slanted downhill about 15 degrees..... that usually does not bother me, but that 98SE had a Heel Toe shifter and floorboards....

those floorboards prevented me from getting my right foot down onto the terra firma, and down we went to the right side. I just pulled my foot up and let it go.

the crash guards did exactly what they were supposed to, nothing was broken, not even the Baker Wind wings.

Instead of unstrapping the duffel bag, I picked it up and set it up and over onto the side stand..... lord uh mercy, it was almost more than I could do.... that was one hell of a load....... never again, I will unload the bike first..
In the mid-70's, I picked up a friend's 550 Honda with sissy bar loaded with bedroll, clothes, Ovation guitar in hard case. Uphill out of a ditch. Once. I was in mid-20s. I know better (and better ways to do it), now.

BTW, the service tech at Honda doesn't lay it over (Oh, I did it again last night to put the newly mounted set back on - remember to let the air pressure down to about 5 psi to get a car tire in). The Honda teck has a trap door on his lift that he can drop, to drop the tire out the bottom. I don't think that is in the FSM, either.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,312 Posts
BTW, the service tech at Honda doesn't lay it over (Oh, I did it again last night to put the newly mounted set back on - remember to let the air pressure down to about 5 psi to get a car tire in). The Honda teck has a trap door on his lift that he can drop, to drop the tire out the bottom. I don't think that is in the FSM, either.
I had a rear tire put on the '98SE at an independent m/c shop locally.

he too, had that Drop Floor door on his lift.
he just strapped the front of the bike down hard, left it on the center stand, and dropped the door down.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
The layover option of removing the back wheel on GL1800 should it be required when travelling compared to removing the back wheel on my old 1500 was one of the reasons I upgraded. To date I have only had to remove it when at home and use my jack which picks up on the centre stand and the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just had to replace my rear tire due to a nice screw being stuck in it. I checked my service manual and it said to put the bike on the center stand, remove the center piece between the saddlebags and then remove the lug nuts and the tire comes right out. What do you know, I did that and it indeed come right out. Only part I needed help with is for my wife to apply the brakes while I loosen and tighten the lugs.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts