Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Can anyone tell me how to remove the original radio bracket and radio harness from my GL1200A?

I'm trying to install a new stereo with CD.

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to get to it.

Thank You,

Rod
Oriental, NC

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I think that if you remove the headlight assembly you will see where the threaded legs of the mount are located and with a 10 mm socket you can remove the nuts and pull the unit out through the top....

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

How do I remove the headlight assembly?

I spent two hours last night looking for a way to do that.

Thank You,

Rod
Oriental, NC

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

remove mirrors (pull rubber to show the bolts). remove windshield garnish (flat screwdriver between it and the headlamp)- remove headlamp lower trim (two philips screws)- you will now see 4 bolts holding the headlamp.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

please post pics of your new system when done. thanks

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thank you for your help.

Removed the mirrors, windscreen garnish and headlamp lower trim.

This exposed what I needed to get to.

Successfully removed the radio bracket!

I will post pictures of the new system when completed.

Thanks Again!

Rod
Oriental, NC

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

Hi Rod,

You'll need to keep you're radio bracket in there as it supports the guage cluster. Alternative is to buythe bracketfrom an Interstate model. It gives you more room.

If you haven't already purchased aradio or if you find, which I'm sure you will, that a CD system just doesn't fit...Most GL12 owners have gone to the SD card-reading radios. The radios also usually have USB and i-pod inputs. Pyle makes really short ones. You'll find that very important, but look for any unit under 5" long.

I installed a Blaupunkt (6") and it was a real challenge, even on the Interstate. I had to cut away most of the bracket.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Here is something that will help you lots. I put a high power AM/FM/CD in my girlfriends 1200 worked great. you will find it at GOLDWINGCHROME.com. Hope this helps you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Here is something that will help you lots. I put a high power AM/FM/CD in my girlfriends 1200 worked great. you will find it at GOLDWINGCHROME.com. Hope this helps you.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.