Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looks like I broke my pulse generator pin on the road yesterday. Engine backfired and quit, I put my timing light on it and the timing jumps around erratically. I can't find a OEM pin anywhere and only have a few days before I have to move back to school and give up my garage space.

Would a steel roll-pin the correct diameter and ground down to the correctlength be a useable replacement?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

use a drill bit of the correct daiamater . grind it down to propper leight. they are harded.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Drill bits are good in a pinch but are VERY hard and will break with a shock load. A roll pin is slotted and compresses as its driven in making it hold tight inside the hole.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'll use a roll pin. I'm 80% through pulling the motor now, just waiting for a helping hand to get over. Does anyone know what size roll pin I should use?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I pulled the motor apart and found that the pin was still intact and correctly lined up, however the bolt on holding the shaft inside the PG had come loose. I torqued it down and applied thread locker to avoid future headaches. However, the motor is still not running right. It sounds as if it is only firing on 2 cylinders and only stays running at half throttle.

Something that seemed odd to me in the reassemably was when I torqued the loose bolt down I checked the shaft alignment by turning the motor over to TDC and seeing where the electrode lined up with the magnents in the pulse generator and found that they weren't lined up at all. I was able to turn the bottom plate with the magnets and line up the timing as it was before but I still can't get the engine to run. It sounds as if its only firing on two cylinders. Was that plate meant to move to adjust your timing or is that a sign that the pulse generator is bad? I used my timing light and found that cylinder 1 was firing when I couldn't even see the timing marks on the wheel.

Can I access the pulse generator another way besides removing the whole engine? I am having trouble finding the motivation (and time) to pull the motor for a 5th time this week... :sadguy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.