Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Could somebody tell me how to transport and secure a Wing on a normal trailer?

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Of course I reccomend always to ride it,but if you have to haul it.
I always like a motorcycle chalk for the front tire.
I run 2 straps off of the handlebars,I run up and hook on the bars carefully threw the holes below the bars.
And 2 straps for the rear,I pull the side covers off and wrap around or hook to the frame.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Never done something like this. I assume I'll put it on the centre stand?

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

The reason I like the motorcycle chalk is,no matter how tight you have the front straps,if the wheel turns than your straps are lose again.
Alot of people try to hook on to something on the rear,but I'd rather take the time and pull the side covers hook onto the frame and pull her down tight and not have to worry about bending something or the straps coming lose.
I have never hauled a bike on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

My understanding is you do not want to put the bike on the center or the side stand. If you get a wheel chock and mount that to your trailer, the bike will stand up on it's own. Then you can secure it using 2 tie downs to the triple tree and 2 from the rear. I have heard various opinions about compressing the forks and I believe you should only compress them a little over half way. If they are compressed all the way and you hit a bump, it could rupture the fork seals. Here is a good thread to read about it:

How to tie down a wing

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Gouden-Vleugel wrote:
Never done something like this. I assume I'll put it on the centre stand?
Erik,
Don't use the stands. the road shock will be hard on the frame and undercarriage.

I have a cheap front wheel chock that locks the wheel in place and in the rear I have two 2x4 boards making a channel for the rear wheel.

Then I tie the front wheel to the front of the trailer through the rim.

Next I make V shaped front and back straps to the sides from each engine guard and pannier guard. This way the pressure on the mounting bolts are not straight out to the sides.

Finally I tie the handle bars straight to the sides for side load stabilization.

The bike is free to move up and down on the suspension without pre-loading the suspension.

It can't go back, it can't go forward and it can't go to the sides. Just up and down.

Works very well and no plastic abrasion occurs.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If you don't have a wheel chock or can't place the rear wheel between two boards to prevent side slippage, then stick the front wheel in a corner of the trailer and tie the front wheel off as above. Since the bike will not be straight, go ahead and put the side stand down but not touching the floor in case the straps loosen while towing and let the bike lean to the outside as a safety.

In the rear wheel loop the strap through the rear wheel a couple of laps, tie it off to the wheel and tie it off side to side and forward.

Then do the rest as above.

Won't go anyplace that way.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
imported post

A couple of years ago I trailered my Wing for the first time. I tied it down with every cord and rope I could find. It would have stood up through a tornado. I had it on the side stand but it was tied so tightly from the right-hand side that the bike just stood up straight. I tried to move the bike in all directions and it didn't budge at all.

Then, to be doubly sure, I had the wife ride on the trailer to make sure it remained in place. (Note: This part is made up. I didn't really make the wife ride in the back. I did think about it.) :D

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I have a few sets of straps that I have replaced the J hooks with carabiners. They snap right onto the eye hooks I have mounted, and I use soft strap extensions for connection to the bike.

When you dont have to worry about the J hooks coming off when the suspension compresses on a bump during the ride, you can reduce the pressure on the suspension. Secure the wheels, support the suspension.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Not the best way , but 460km later and she was still 100% intact , i personally like the sidestand out. Just watch not to damage the plastics and make sure there are no loose end flapping around from the tie downs as this can hurt\damage the plastics.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

This is Amtrak's system. The front wheel drops into a depression with a chock in front. They tied the front forks up high with two straps either side then ran another one through the back wheel tied to the rear. My bike and the Harley next to it were fine, however, a zoomsplat on another trolley arrived at destination with the spindle pulled out of the forks...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.