Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi need advise how to get my passenger on and off my GL-1800 in the best way !

We tried running two first time Yesterday but my wife had problem getting her leg over backseat whenI sat on bike. Confused how to !

We are not gymnast any more , its rather difficult to "hang leg" over backseat/backrest.

Should passenger go on firstwith bike on side stand and driver coming on afterwards instead?

Thanks in advance for ideas. :?

//Lars-Erik

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
imported post

Many people let the passenger get on first. Sometimes the passenger gets on the drivers seat and scoots back.
That works well for people that have "lost the gymnastic flair!" :D

Have the bike on the sidestand, and hold it steady for her. Let her get on and adjust her position before you get on. Then you should be good to go!

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

I usually get on first, then stand up and steady the bike in between my knees while holding on the handlebars and pulling in on the handbrake. Then I have the passenger put their left foot on the left passenger floorboard, step up while they put one hand on my shoulder and one hand on the back rest. Then it is easy to put their leg over the seat and once they are sitting down, then I settle back down in the driver's seat.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
imported post

dsmastern wrote:
Many people let the passenger get on first. Sometimes the passenger gets on the drivers seat and scoots back.

Have the bike on the sidestand, and hold it steady for her. Let her get on and adjust her position before you get on. Then you should be good to go!
That's how my wife likes to do it ... get on the bike / trike. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
I usually get on first, then stand up and steady the bike in between my knees while holding on the handlebars and pulling in on the handbrake. Then I have the passenger put their left foot on the left passenger floorboard, step up while they put one hand on my shoulder and one hand on the back rest. Then it is easy to put their leg over the seat and once they are sitting down, then I settle back down in the driver's seat.
This works for us as well.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I mount from the right side (I'm left-handed, so I'm a little goofy anyways), so I offer my wife a hand, she steps on her floorboard using my hand and her backrest for support. Then she steps on her left floorboard with left foot and steps across. Then I get on. I get off first and she kicks her right foot over and kinda slides off. The dismount may change when I get my backrest, but its worked good this way for about 60K miles.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
Same works well my Bonnie and I. She often ends up putting her foot on the passenger seat while going this. At first it bugged me but not any more. It works well this way for both of us.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

dsmastern wrote:

> Ditto that.
> I would add that, since switching to a Car Tire of a smaller diameter, the bike now sits 3/4" lower... This is a huge benefit for having a passenger, as it makes it easier for them to mount the bike, as well as easier for the driver to make the bike upright... as the lean angle is less.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I would be nervous about any one wiggling around on my bike while it sets on the side stand with out me having control of the bike. I'm not sure I wouldn't want to trust the side stand to hold the extra weight specially since it will now be up higher. It must hold as I know several folks do it that way.

I'm with those that get on the bike first, steady it, and then let the passenger climb on. It should be a lot shorter step to lift a leg over while standing on the passenger floor board then putting a leg over while standing on the ground even for the rider position.

If you use the option of the passenger climbing on before you get on you may want to consider leaving the bike in gear.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks all ;
We have to have an trial and error evening outside our garage to decide which way is the best.
Im not so glad in leaving bike on sidestand not sure its dimensioned for that extra weight !
My former bike BMW R1200 GS was not aload from factory to get that extra weight on side stand.
Here in Sweden we have a very warm day today; nearly 30 C so its better sitting with some beer and not biking
//Lars-Erik

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

I got a little tired of the boot scuffs all over the passenger area of my wing. I tried standing up an dleaning over the handle bars to give her more room. I tried leaning the bike to the right to raise left side peg to get her higher when she stepped over.

Still got boot scuff everywhere.

So I bought her, her own damn bike.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hi
Tried Broke Wingers ideas and it functioned much better me forwarding as much as possible, it gave more space perhaps some rosevin and beer also helped for our old bodys.....
Tomorrow a real test with motorcycle clothes on; thats much more tough.
//Lars-Erik

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I always put the bike on the side stand, hold the bike steady and allow the passenger to get on first. Once they are on then I get on. Getting off is just the opposite. I get off then the passenger gets off. I have found this to be the easiest way for both of us.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Perhaps find a small car near, let her sit on trunk or hood then slide off onto bike.
OR
Carry a small step ladder.

Though joking, wife got onto my 1500 1 time so far.
Took forever and many tries, nothing worked, and finally she was able to stand on footrest while I held bike upright and get her foot dragged/forced twisted and over the seat.
We rode 7 miles to end of road and back LOL
Took longer to get her on bike than what we rode LOL

For her to get off 1500 I pulled next to one of my short little cars and she kinda climbed from bike to car half way.
Step ladder I think will be the option I use, just have to figure how to carry one LOL

OH, when I get my new back tire on my 1500 will be about an inch taller too I think.

I don't think my foot boards will raise on this 1500 or I would try raising them. They are correct height for riding, but she can't get on the bike!

Part of the problem is the trunk, can't get leg over it, and then I have a back rest for driver in middle of seat also so she has to get between the 2 parts. Not so much room to move around between the two parts, so if she puts her knee on the seat still can't get the lower leg over seat.
When I pull my seat I'll see if my back rest unbolts and if I can use it just slide in place when solo and remove when double.
If I slide forward she would maybe have room enough to get leg over in front of trunk, but that back rest is in the way now so me sliding forward does not do much good.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

When I rode an 1100, I wouild always bite the bullet, and raise the bike up on the centerstand. Then the passenger can crawl on however they wanted, and it wasn't gonna fall over. We ride a trike now. Eliminates the problem somewhat. jimsjinx

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

wrongway wrote:
pwhoever wrote:
Same works well my Bonnie and I. She often ends up putting her foot on the passenger seat while going this. At first it bugged me but not any more. It works well this way for both of us.
Great to see you and Bonnie again, Greg. We missed you!

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
YUP! That's the way it should be done.

Unfortunatly my Wife can't get her right leg high enough in back of her to clear the rear seat. She gets up on the rear seat, from the left side of the bike,then drags her Right foot over the top of the Faux gas tank. I have to stand there and lift her foot so she isn't putting black marks all over the gas cap cover with the heal of her boot..insert deep sigh here.

I can't complain too much, though, I have to get on from the right side of the bike because I can't get MY right leg high enough to step over the front seat.....insert deeper sigh here.....

Ya gotta get creative when you get old.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

cardinal wrote:
I can't complain too much, though, I have to get on from the right side of the bike because I can't get MY right leg high enough to step over the front seat.....insert deeper sigh here.....

Ya gotta get creative when you get old.
Thank God you said that, I thought it was just me.........

I feel like a fool when Im out in the driveway on the left hand side of the buike and I can't get on it, I have to come to the right side to get on....... My wife sits there and laughs. Of course, she won't get on a bike...

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

wrongway wrote:
pwhoever wrote:
Plus another.. works well for my wife and I.. While the bike can take it on the side stand, that is too scary for my wife... she trust me more than bike, I guess.. and that is okay with me...

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

My wife says she has gotten to large to fit on the back, I never argue with my wife.:thumbsup:
Back when I had my last Wing I would get on like mounting a horse left foot on left peg stand up and throw right leg over the seat. I stood the bike up and leaned forward and my wife mounted the same way (of course my wife was 120#'s smaller then).
I still mount the same way even though I weigh close to 300#'s now (thanks to the cancer treatment) and I have never felt like the side stand would let me down.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.