Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am trying to get my goldwing started for the first time in 20 years. I put in a new battery but the starter didn't want to turn over. I also pulled the truck into the garage and used jumper cables directly on the starter. It turned over about a half of a turn every second or so. Way to slow to start the bike.

So how do I go about getting the starter tested to see if it really is the problem. I pulled it off and took it to Autozone but they said that they couldn't test it. Do I need to find a place that rebuilds starters? Can I take it to the dealer?

Any kind of advice would be helpful at this point. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Take the starter to an auto electric shop and they should be able to check it out for you and ifit's not rebuildableStockers's Starters in EL Cajon, CA has rebuilt OEM Mitsuba starters for the GoldWings. Below is a link their site.

http://www.stockers.com/PShondastreet.htm

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

just a tought as you have the starter out will the shaft turn by hand it could be justseized after lieing for 20 years if it was ok then it should be ok now giveit a good shotof WD40 then to test useing jumper cables connect the negitve to the body of the starter and the positve to the short cable going into the starter not were you bolt on the mains lead but on the far side of the solinoid

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

After sitting 20 years I'd expect the engine to be frozen.

Try some trans fluid in the plug holes for a day or so then see if it will turn over by rocking it in fifth gear.
If it doesnt turn then keep soaking the cylinders with trans fluid.
It can be a long process getting an engine unstuck, lots of patience needed.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dan. Half the problem is probably your engine. You say it did turn over so I would start from there. Slowly exercising it back. Pull the plugs and fill the jugs with Tranny fluid or PB Blaster and let it sit. Then using the kick starter or the back wheel Start with one rotation a day and fill it up each night to sit. It is messy. A lot of fluid will end up in your headers unless you remove them. I would do this for about a week before trying it with an electric starter.

In the mean time take the same approach with your starter. On the bench use your jumper cables and let it spin for like 30 seconds daily for several days. The springs probably have a "set" in them and it needs exercised as well.

Then start spinning the engine with the starter with all the plugs out. Use extreme caution as this is the surest way to fry a starter. Only 30 seconds then at least 10 minutes to cool down between cycles.

At this point I would try to get a compression test.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

If I sat for 20 years I probably wouldn't crank over either lol.

Change the oil, take out the plugs, charge up the battery and try again. Just so you know, the carbs are probably gonna need a PITA rebuild.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

It's hard to test the starter outside the bike without a load on it. It will spin like crazy and make you think it's working fine. Put it back in and you get the same results. That normally is a sign of dirty or worn brushes and armeture.

It can be cleaned and rebuilt (new brushes) or you can replace it. Everyone on here have got very valid points about what could be possibly wrong. Be patient, ask questions and we will all help you get it running again.

Have a great Day!
Rumple

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

when I worked for the prince of darkness (lucas) We had a very technical bit of hardwood (broomhandle) that we would apply to the drive gear(jam into the cog) and if it chewed the hell out of it all was deemed to be ok!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

toolmantel wrote:
when I worked for the prince of darkness (lucas) We had a very technical bit of hardwood (broomhandle) that we would apply to the drive gear(jam into the cog) and if it chewed the hell out of it all was deemed to be ok!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

Wiskerfish you mentioned a kick starter. Does the Gold wing have a kick starter? I have an 83 1100 Interstate and have never seen a kick starter anywher. More info please.:?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Ok guys let me start over. This bike is a '76 and has been sitting for 20 years. The first thing I did was try the kick starter to verify the engine was not siezed, the next things I did was to change the plugs, all the fluids, timing belts, and rebuild the carbs. I am also running the gas out of a plastic gas can to verify the engine runs before Ideal with the rust in the gas tank.

As I mentioned, the starter does turn the engine over, but very slowly when being supplied battery voltage from a truck battery with the engine running. Voltage wasclipped directly onto negative battery and then touched to the positive bolt on the front side of the starter.

Iwill try and find an auto electiral rebuild shop and see if they can test it. I guess I can look up auto electrical in the yellow pages. If its bad I'll seehow much they will charge to rebuild and how much a new one would run me from the link above.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You can bench test it..pull it out put on bench, connect battery +/_ if it spins real fast..back to the engine. If it's still slow you can take it apart and see what shape the brushes are in and clean up the copper pads with solvent and try again. Rebuild kits are $30.

Also be careful when removing the positive cable if you spin the stud it will break the connection inside..

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

2ac911 wrote:
Wiskerfish you mentioned a kick starter. Does the Gold wing have a kick starter? I have an 83 1100 Interstate and have never seen a kick starter anywher. More info please.:?
75 through 77 did. None after that

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

As you work out the bugs in your engine, I would slave your new battery to your vehicle to jump start. IMO, I believe prolonged drain on the battery even with using a charger will still short the life expectancy of the small MCbattery. After overhauling my engineand trying to get it running with a lot of cranking, mybattery lasted a year.

After you fix your starter, you may want to spin the engine with the spark plugs removed and do a compression check.

Search this site on cleaning a gas tank. Some have used acid, some have used a make shift electrolysis,some use a sealer, and some just replace the tank. I would pop the bowls of the carb for cleaning.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Also, my bike sat for 3-6 years. I thought the gas tank had a ton of rust, but it was all flaky varnish. I used a lot lacquer thinner, but still replaced the tank since I could turn my bike upside down and not effectively clean all the crude out. Too many fuel filter changesand fuel starvation issues.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

don't forget to check the grounding to the starter before you pull it. run a jumper cable to the case of the starter and the neg side of the battery and then from the battery pos terminal to the starter terminal, make sure its out of gear. This will eliminate any electrical problems they maybe occuring outside the starter.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

toolmantel wrote:
Thought i was the only one who used that trick

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

2ac911 wrote:
Only the thou had a kick starter it was located behind the false tank righ side you pulled it out of its holder and placed it sideways in a small hole on the right side of the gearbox bit of a carbuncle to use but it did work once running the leaver was removed and placed back in its holder under the tank side, nice.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

Jumped out the starter in the procedure described in this post. NADA!! Nothing at all. I assume that means a bad starter? How hard is it to replace yourself?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.