Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

I am moving about 400 miles (work), and I'm trying to move my car and my bike at the same time that I am driving the moving truck. Does anyone have any ideas? I know I can either tow the car, or the bike, but not both. I thought about towing the car and trying to find a truck that will hold my household goods AND my bike, but I don't know how I could realistically get the bike in the truck.

Ok, the specs...I have an '83 Interstate and an '03 Nissan Maxima (17" wheels, which presents a problem with some car carriers). I have to move from Knoxvile, TN, to Richmond, VA. pretty soon.

Thanks!

Jack
 

·
Old School Guru
Joined
·
7,887 Posts
imported post

Well, most U-Haul trucks have a nice wide loading ramp that your bike could be ridden right into the truck. Hauled a couple of bikes that way a long time ago.:) And the truck could also pull your car too.:D I think some of the more modern car trailers that U-Haul have can handle your car.;)



Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
279 Posts
imported post

If worse comes to worse, you could run the truck there (2 day rental)then come back with a freind for the other two, or one-way the trcuk and take a (leave the crashing to them)bus.

Me I prefer the park the bike in the truck and tow the car theory!:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Harrystoy wrote:
If worse comes to worse, you could run the truck there (2 day rental)then come back with a freind for the other two, or one-way the trcuk and take a (leave the crashing to them)bus.

Me I prefer the park the bike in the truck and tow the car theory!:waving:
Hi,

Thanks for the input, Unfortunately, all my family lives a couple of states away, my ex got all our "friends" in the divorce, and my girlfriend could come back to town to help (she's off at college), but she can't drive a manual. Heh...just my luck! :) Though, it seems more and more possible to drive the old girl (the bike, not the girlfriend) into the truck.

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
imported post

 My neighbor  just moved to the Island.. he rebuilds 1950's cars, and owns a harley as well. , so his problems were  much worse.. He rented a van , specifically asking for one with strong tie down rings on the floor....  a bike just needs two front fork tiedowns, and one  at rear , for steadying  it.. once you have compressed those front shocks an inch or two..... that machine is going no-where.. He then rented a flat bed truck (and a driver ) for three of the 57 chevies., and the Model A.. and got a towing hitch for his car  fron U-Haul... and thats what I would recommend to you... a big van, a tie down inside for the Wing ,and a  hitch for your car ... SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
imported post

. ??.. Then  WHO is that on the back of your bike ,in your Avatar ??? the Ex ? or the GF  ??  I am sorry to hear about that /forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif... no one really wins in a divorce... Silver 
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
279 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Harrystoy wrote:
If worse comes to worse, you could run the truck there (2 day rental)then come back with a freind for the other two, or one-way the trcuk and take a (leave the crashing to them)bus.

Me I prefer the park the bike in the truck and tow the car theory!:waving:
Hi,

Thanks for the input, Unfortunately, all my family lives a couple of states away, my ex got all our "friends" in the divorce, and my girlfriend could come back to town to help (she's off at college), but she can't drive a manual. Heh...just my luck! :) Though, it seems more and more possible to drive the old girl (the bike, not the girlfriend) into the truck.

Jack
Sorry Jack, after 20+ years in the Navy, ive had my share of ex-es.....

SO I know exactly where your coming from in the "friends" department! :goofygrin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

SilverDave wrote:
. ??.. Then WHO is that on the back of your bike ,in your Avatar ??? the Ex ? or the GF ?? I am sorry to hear about that /forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif... no one really wins in a divorce...Silver
That's the GF. The ex always told me I "could never own a motorcycle." It's funny, because I never wanted one! I only got the Wing because the commute to work was 120 miles round trip, and gas prices being what they are...

Anyway, the GF loves the Wing and has even started learning to ride. Quite a lot of spirit, that, seeing as she's 6 feet tall, 140 pounds soaking wet and carrying a bag of groceries. :) She actually handles the bike quite well, all things considered.

Yeah, no one won in the divorce, but the ex sure seemed to lose much better than I did. :) Anyone remember the old song by Jerry Reed, "She got the goldmine, I got the shaft"? Yep..."they split it right down the middle, and then they gave her the bigger half." Heh.

Now I'm just rambling.....so, I'm off!

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
imported post

Hello, just got back from my bike trip. If you have moved it already, how did it go? I once used a u-haul car trailer and U-haul truck for a 1701 Km trip. I spot welded in place a length of channel iron on to the centre of the car trailer for the 1500 motorcycle. Strapped the bike down and it was o.k. End of trip grinded spot welds and removed channel iron. Out of the box thinking, are there anycar trailers long enough to place car and bike on. MMMMMMMM maybe channel iron welded sideways or on a 45 degree angle on the car trailer and then load car?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have moved bikes several times in U-haul trucks. I used 3/4 inch styrofoam to pad between the bike and the outside wall. Make sure you secure it REAL tight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
204 Posts
imported post

could you rent a moving van with a liftgate and use it as a platform carry the bike?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

Technically you can tow both, The bike on a trailer behind the car. Best to use a front wheel trailer for the car if you do it. U Haul will void any and all insurance on their truck if they find out you do this, but it does work, I did it! Run you light cable back to the bike trailer.

Or find another biker who wants to make a good ride, pay his expenses and you ride back with him. Then take the truck and the car the next trip.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top