Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Unless I get a trailer --close to $300 for a hitch, $500 to $2500 for a trailer (yikes!)-- this is the solution to our two-up camping dilemma on my overgrown Sportbike! Two twenty liter Sealline bags ($18.75 ea) and one 30 liter Sealline bag ($32.00)make upmy modular soft case system.....

I've got a Wiggy lightweight sleeping bag in each of the twenty liter bags, plus a poncho liner in one and two inflatable pillows in the other. And in the single 30 liter bag wehave a 4-person Eureka Timberline Tent, a ground cloth, and a Coleman standard sized 4" thick air mattress with an inflator powered by the bike........ When it's really cold, we'lllay on the poncho liner and put both bags on top of us.......lots of loft!

The single bag straps to the rear carrier, and the smaller bags go on top our side cases....... this leaves us each with a sidecase for clothes and personal gear.......

It's gonna work,I tell ya.......

My most precious cargo, the Mighty Red, will ride between the legs of the cases..... we may also add aseparate back rest for her...... try it out in about a week or so, when the "serious" bike comes out ofit's winter storage! Our kitchen, one pot...one SVEA stove.... two squishable bowl/plates...two Coleman vacuum cups.... one folding water container.....lexan tableware and lighters, will ride in a tank bag........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

sounds like a day or two trip in the makeing . should work . but---it sure would be nice to have a small trailer .

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack, are you a member on the ST forum? I am Jduff8505 on there. Just a thought but have you looked at the Givi top cases? Theres a nice one for sale on the ST forum, I almost bought it to put on my 919. Givi also makes the back rests for their cases that you can get so Red will be comfortable. Good luck and its good to have ST guys over here too.

Jeff

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Thats an interesting bag CJ. I'll have to take a better look at those. I had one of those cheap Wal-Mart stuff sack/bag straped on the trunk when I did my trip. It served well enough. But I don't know how well it would have been if I got caught in real down pour. I only kept a change of jacket and chaps in it.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a great setup CJ.

But what caught my attention the most is your mention of Red riding with you.

That makes me happiest of all! :)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

84GrayWing wrote:
Cousin Jack, are you a member on the ST forum? I am Jduff8505 on there. Just a thought but have you looked at the Givi top cases? Theres a nice one for sale on the ST forum, I almost bought it to put on my 919. Givi also makes the back rests for their cases that you can get so Red will be comfortable. Good luck and its good to have ST guys over here too.

Jeff
Hi, Jeff...... Thanks for the good wishes!

I've looked at the Givis, but I thought I could get more stuff in the Seallines. Red is adamant that we go with the tent we have, and I don't think I could get it in the Givi.... poles are too long! Plus the fact that the Givis are kinda dear, compared to a $32 bag! Well, we'll see..... I'll take another look at the hard top bag....

Thanks again!

Mel

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

My wife loves to ride, hates to camp. Oh well, can't have everything in life, I guess.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,705 Posts
imported post

Mardonna told me she would ride with me anywhere, but there will be a steaming hot shower, a clean bed, and amenities at the end of the day. :cheeky1:

I've learned to listen to my Fair Lady. :D

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mardonna told me she would ride with me anywhere, but there will be a steaming hot shower, a clean bed, and amenities at the end of the day. :cheeky1:

I've learned to listen to my Fair Lady. :D
My sentiments exactly. I much prefer a nice hot shower and a REAL bed. I told BlueWinger these bones are too old for the ground. But, I do love to travel on the bike anywhere he wants to take me.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Glad to see that you went with this alternative, over the custom 'bag' you were eying before, CJ. I think that along withbeing less expensive,more versatile of a set-up, it'll prove to be a more watertight and a low light 'visible' solution, as well. :action:

Glad to see/hear that your Fair Princess is still enthralled with wood smoke!! :clapper:

You'll gain more storage space if you change over to down bags, as they compress smaller. :waving:

Dusty

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
You'll gain more storage space if you change over to down bags, as they compress smaller. :waving:

Dusty
I distrust down from my climbing days, Dusty....... as I'm sure you're aware, the Cascades are a wet range and keeping the down dry was a constant hassle....

have considered, however, replacing one of the Wiggy synthetic bags (which are excellent, by the way, and are suitable for about 95% of all the conditions we face....) with a big, cheap, down comforter........ when it's hot, lay on it... and when it's cold, lay on the Wiggy and put the comforter on top..... Ican get one for about $100... cheaper by far than two quality down bags......

Regardless, we can tour and camp two up on the ST..... just requires a bit of mental adjustment, is all!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Those tote bags look great CJ, I would just be mindful of them damaging the paint work on the bike if they were to be constantly be rubbing with movement even if they are well lashed on. Perhaps you could either attatch some racks to fix them onto or at least have some protective material or whatever in between.

I would hate to see that Pan with worn paint work accidentally. :(

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Those tote bags look great CJ, I would just be mindful of them damaging the paint work on the bike if they were to be constantly be rubbing with movement even if they are well lashed on. Perhaps you could either attatch some racks to fix them onto or at least have some protective material or whatever in between.

I would hate to see that Pan with worn paint work accidentally. :(
Yeah, so would I......

and unfortunately, the paint on the removable hard bags of the ST seems kinda soft, I've already scratchedthe top of onewith my bootheel swinging it over to get on and off...... They sell already cut out protective film for them, and that's probably the reason why......... no problem with the back rack, but the smaller bags will rest directly against the sidecases....... a trailer would be better, but I don't have the scratch and I don't like trailers (for some unknown reason!)......

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Yeah, so would I......

and unfortunately, the paint on the removable hard bags of the ST seems kinda soft, I've already scratchedthe top of onewith my bootheel swinging it over to get on and off...... They sell already cut out protective film for them, and that's probably the reason why......... no problem with the back rack, but the smaller bags will rest directly against the sidecases....... a trailer would be better, but I don't have the scratch and I don't like trailers (for some unknown reason!)......
Maybe something like lambs wool pads of even Chamoise leather ( as used to dry vehicles off with) would act as a buffer 'tween bag and paint? Chamoise would mean a good cloth to dry the bike off with when necessary. :)any bungee straps would be best kept from the paint work too. :(

I find the moden paints, whilst easier to work with are definately not as resilient to scuffing as the older sorts. The 1800 Wings are the same, easily damaged compared to the older models. Motorcycle Pete's older ST1100 is painted with more durable paint than the newer ST1300.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

I wonder how these new water bourne paints will hold up. I have already had one painter refuse to use the PPG that I have. Said he didn't have the equipment.
Cuz, those are nice looking bags.

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

I would say either the clear stick on paint protectors or some sheepskin attached to the bags with the fuzzy side toward the paint. Only problem with the sheepskin would be if you got caught in a lot of dust or rain the dirt could get stuck in there and still mess up the paint. The sitck on protector should be better IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

You really need to get the Wing going soon. I had an ST, not near as comfortable as my old 83. Really no sense trying to make the bike something it isnt.

Look at it this way. A decent used 1800 is still extremely sporty and runs less than $10k in some places. I used to run with the ST1100/1300 crowd and stifled many chuckles when I saw all the 'farkles' they have to add just to get it up to Wing level.

The hard bags, RAM mounts, wind blockers, CB radios, highway blades, bar risers, peg extenders, aftermarket seats...I could go on.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I agree, an 1800 is just what you need Mel. Handles like an ST and rides like a wing with storage to boot!

Or go ahead and get a new ultra glide; my friends are getting a 100,000 plus miles out of them.

But you won't be happy until you are on an 1800 wing!

Bernie

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
I agree, an 1800 is just what you need Mel. Handles like an ST and rides like a wing with storage to boot!

Or go ahead and get a new ultra glide; my friends are getting a 100,000 plus miles out of them.

But you won't be happy until you are on an 1800 wing!

Bernie
I know, I know...... I must of been nuts when I bought the ST........

:cooldj:

but it was close to $10.000 cheaper than a new 1800 Wing, and, since I'm a retired teacher, that figured large! Besides, I love the 1300 when I'm riding solo, which is about 65% of the time......... Also,when I bought it, Red wasn't sure she was going to ride again... she's still not too awfully sure, but we will know by summer. If she does, and we can't pile enough stuff on, I'll trade it for the 1800.......... there's nothing in life (or damn little) that can't be fixed!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.