Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took a few minutes to look at John post about using a scope. We were lucky enough to have a Snap On rep who really had a lot on the ball. He took one entire morning just to talk about Digital Storage Oscilloscopes.(DSO) an the information that can gleaned from them. I was surprised. It was a long time ago so let's see if I can remember any of it.
The post thread that John posted was informative but just the nuts and bolts of what a DSO can do. The thread is more focused on how to "hook it up" and configure it. The Gold standard is the ability to interpret the information. If you invest the time you can learn so much from looking at those wiggly lines. :)
On the day of the seminar we had a squad car that was running really bad. Made some really strange noises and they were not good. These cars are really a pain to work on. Worse than a Wing so any help would be a benefit. Just by listening it was clear the noise was coming from the back cylinders. The hardest ones to get at. Hooked up and studied the scope for a few seconds and Snappy diagnosed it as #1 has no compression. That afternoon a mechanic took it apart only to find #1 had dropped a valve.
I really learned a lot. It surprised me all the things it will tell if you just know where to look. Things like if the engine is too lean. Ignition burn time. Which of the 2 cylinders is wasted spark. Identify for a particular cylinder if the current flow is traditional or reversed in wasted spark systems. Cylinder burn time. It was a long time ago and I am sure I forgot a lot more than I remember. This is not even mentioning the traditional testing of sensors and voltage etc. If a person invests the time in really understanding a DSO it will be such a helpful tool and save so much time.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts