Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
25,366 Posts
The only real down side to using a scope, is you have to have a known good comparison. They are few and far between. 40 years turning wrenches and I only "needed" a scope once. For a proximity sensor.

Back in the 80s I used one quite a bit on the old air flow meters, great for that & throttle position sensors. We had a big Sun machine made especially for BMW that had everything.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
I first learned to use a scope (Tektronics Model xxx) back in the 60's while working in the Aerospace and Undersea Warfare Industry...

An oscilloscope is an invaluable tool functioning as a DC voltmeter, an AC voltmeter, a frequency meter, a wave form interpreter, a camera, and all around useful electronic tool... I cannot think of another test instrument other than an Oscilloscope that functions in so many ways... I have checked numerous audio problems and CB modulation functions on my bike with it... And today, with the small digital scopes, they are even easier to use and transport... I would not be without one...

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I've got a JYE DSO 138. Just a single channel oscilloscope, but it only cost me $40. I haven't needed it for much, but when you do need it, no other tool will do.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I'll be putting my Tektronix TM503 out for the garage/yard sale we're having sometime before September. I wish I knew how to use it, but since I haven't needed one so far, , ,maybe I'll never need one.
IMG_IMG_0065.jpg0062.jpgIMG_0074.jpgIMG_0075.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am really sorry I could not follow through on that deal we were talking about but the shipping alone was more that the unit was worth to me. I feel bad that you went to all the trouble to pack it and then to find that out. Anyone close to him should look into this because they are invaluable for things like tracking down voltage drops and leaks. Frequency is another high point for a scope but you kind of have to know what you are working on and what kind of pattern you are looking for.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts