Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got my first Goldwing:), an /84 Aspencade with 88K miles. I have replaced the rear wheel bearings. The rear tire is old, and, I believe causes, what sounds like the noise a rear differential might make on an old rear wheel drive car around corners. Running downhill, it made a very loud harmonic howl :shock:between 70 and 73 mph. Could this be the tire, or could it be the gears in the rear drive? The rear drive lube looks fine.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

It could be either really. Try changing the diff oil first and if that makes any difference at all you will know the diff is the cause. An old tyre you say, but is it actually a worn out tyre?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

You won't be able to check this noise properly unless you get a decent tyre fitted first. Changing diff oil may help but not if the diff bearings are shot. While the wheel is out you can check for the usual things like wear in the drive splines etc. If the noise persists with the new tyre you are probably looking at new diff bearings.

Did this noise only start after you put in the new wheel bearings or was it there already?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I noticed it after replacing the bearings. I believe I had been up to 73 mph before. Could I have messed something up while I had the wheel off? What should I have checked to evaluate the diff bearings?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

If I may throw in my 2cents... Both rear wheel bearings must be fully seated in the left and right wheel housings.. Check for trueness by removing the wheel from the final drive and sliding the axle thru both ends (easily).. Seems odd that the noise would occur after the bearings were replaced..

Why were the bearings replaced to begin with? Was the rear end noisey then?

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

You could try to inflate your rear tire to max pressure and see if that makes an appreciable difference in noise. I run my 84's rear tire air pressure at 41 but for a short distance you could inflate it to 45 - 50 psi just to check for a difference in noise.

Are you certain that it's not just the typical GL mechanical noises that you hear. There's lots of whine that comes from the primary chain and if you're not used to it it can sound very loud, some even call it a turbo sound.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

austinstreetman wrote:
I noticed it after replacing the bearings. I believe I had been up to 73 mph before. Could I have messed something up while I had the wheel off? What should I have checked to evaluate the diff bearings?
If it only happened after you fitted the bearings, perhaps one of them got damaged when tapping them in, or even one of them may be faulty. That's why I was curious about that. To check the diff bearings you need the wheel out again and then turn the inner part of the diff to check for roughness.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I don't like to admit this, but when I got my 1500 the back tyre was worn almost flat and I rode it like this for about 300 miles while waiting for a new one. Boy did that tyre roar like hell! I took it for granted and didn't realize how bad it was until th enew tyre was fitted and the noise went away.
Get the tyre replaced first and see if that works. :D

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

If I may ~ last spring, I was in Florida (being an Ohio resident.... it was beautiful to ride in March/April).

I found that the Labor and Parts costs are SO much lower in an area where they year round.

I decided on a new rear tire. My '84 Aspencadehas 54,000 and the tire was in sad shape. When I took it in to a Honda Dealership for the work, I was TOTALLY shocked at what they found.

My rear drive member was nearly SHOT. The final drive gear was so worn, the teeth on the ring gear (excuse me for using wrong lingo) were bent over. They had the final drive UNIT for $1,500. I opted to have the gear changed out instead for $200. The howling sound has gone away. The bike rides so much better. I never noticed how "wobbly" it felt with the worn final drive gears.

It was definitely a 'fix' I wouldn't of recognized if I hadn't had the bike into the dealer. Something to consider. Have them check the final drive unit out, when you have them put the new tire on. :)

Mike in Ohio ... for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.