Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The hose I'm talking about starts on the top of the left cylinder head and runs to the carb's if I remember right. If you pull the left side lower cover you will see it. I changed mine with the same hose from my old motor that I had, but that hose has to make a U turn and was made with that bend in it. I would buy OEM if I could find a new one. It's a good place to start looking for your Idle surge.

Similarly, on the right side of the bike (center cylinder, about an inch above the valve cover) is a screw... It's typically removed/replaced with a brass spigot when connecting a Mercury Carb Balancer.
Anyhow, if that screw (or the capped spigot) is missing/loose, then you'll get a vacuum leak there too.

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
Gotta dis-agree on this one... A leak like this is above the carb, hence will not at all affect the fuel/air mixture that subsequently occurs downstream, after the air has passed through the carb. An air leak above the carb will only By-pass the air filter... which is bad, because you'd be drawing dirty air into the carb.

Sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way....
A guy comes into my shop, says he just bought his 1500 a couple of months ago. Had a chance to ride his buddy's 1500 and it accelerated MUCH better. So I test rode his bike and sure enough it was flat off idle and wouldn't accelerate till it was above 3k rpm. Long story made short... I found holes drilled in the top of the air box. 3 holes each the size of a silver dollar (if you remember those LOL).
Taped the holes and.... fixed.
Same airleak above the carb line caused the flat spot and poor acceleration and poor throttle response.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think you need to do the accelerator pump modification. That was the repair for the 88-89 hesitation issue.
The procedure was at one time in the archives here.
You can also google it.
There are 2 bypass ports that have to be plugged. It’s not a difficult job, but you must remove the carbs to do it.
You also need to add a .05 mm washer under the main needle, this greatly helps on the low speed needle to main needle transition.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
I think you need to do the accelerator pump modification. That was the repair for the 88-89 hesitation issue.
The procedure was at one time in the archives here.
You can also google it.
There are 2 bypass ports that have to be plugged. It’s not a difficult job, but you must remove the carbs to do it.
You also need to add a .05 mm washer under the main needle, this greatly helps on the low speed needle to main needle transition.

Obviously you didn't look at the attachments in post # 4. Its there.....!!!!!!

BTW.....It was only for the 1988 (not 1989).....!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, so I have installed the sensor and waited a week before starting the wing.....Voila! problem solved. Thank you for the guidance, Guru's! I did the 6 and then 4 degree trigger wheel about 17 years ago. The bike now screams up to redline immediately... Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OR SO I THOUGHT....
Took her out and the idle still hunts, although only 500 RPM top to bottom now (rather than the 2000 RPM as before). I get the smell of UN-burnt hydrocarbons as well and the bike has a staccato exhaust note when she idles down. I have E-3 spark plugs in her and at speed, she pulls fast, hard, and clean.
What now?
What will the toothpick do and would I leave it there?

·
It aint rocket science
3,804 Posts
I went through the '88 GL1500 and put in new ignition wires, E3 plugs, tightened all the carb connections, found no cracked hoses, cleaned the coils, rebuilt the cooling system after cleaning-flushing & painting (now the bike runs at 1/4 the temp gauge), resealed the cooling ducts and sprayed carb cleaner in the carb body orifices & slides. I noticed a pressure release when I took off the gas cap and dont know what else to check. The bike rides great above idle and at speed. Pulling off in first with very light throttle reveals the dead spot and then a surge. The bike idles evenly but hunts to about 1200 rpm every five seconds now and then.
HELP ME, please

How long have you owned this machine and when did the problem begin? To the posters claiming all 88's had running problems. I own one and it cold, warm, hot starts perfectly and runs perfectly.:cool: Better than most other even newer 1500's on the road today I would say.:)

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
The Service Bulletin I cited in post # 4 indicates the following: Some 1988 GLl500s may experience a slight hesitation during light acceleration.

I didn't read any post that said it applied to ALL 1988 Gold Wing's....!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ive owned the bike since 2001. The problem appeared when I pulled it out this spring and caused me to do a wire and plug replacement as well as temp sensor and tightening of all connections.

·
It aint rocket science
3,804 Posts
So the problem appeared after a winter layover. You are a long time owner and presume riding less as we age.:crying2: I suspect the older unused fuel left in the bike finally caught up to you and fouled the idle jets.

Like Ivory soap 99.7% of the time running problems on a 1500 are carburetion/emission control related. The first thing an owner does is crank up the idle and maybe jack with the sync screws on an engine that won't run. An engine surge is then produced if the engine is not constantly being fed the metered fuel from the carb(s) due to a blockage. The limited fuel flow in the carb circuit collects in a pocket then gets sucked into the engine causing the surge and repeats over and over.

Remove the air filter and with a little carb clean spray dribble it down into each carb throat. The idle RPM will go way up on a faulty carb/cylinder bank.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts