Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

I am looking for a hydraulic lift carrier that will mount to the frame of my RV that will lift the bike from the ground to above the hitch (so I can raise the bike from ground level to above the hitch to put a car dolly on the back for my wife when we travel). I know I saw some info on this item a while back on the forum but don't remember whereor when. I go on a RV trip each summer and presently take the bike (which my wife won't ride or passenger on) or the car. Since I absolutely love to ride and I want to accommodate the wife's needs too (she had a near death bike accident with anex about 40 years ago and has tried to ride with me but just can't seem to get comfortable). Having a lift that raises the bike above the hitchthat allows room for attaching the car dolly seems tobe the right thing for both of us. If anyone has one or information on where to find one, let me know. I will look at both new or used.

:)Thanks, v_man_1

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:)Thanks bagmaster, I will do some research on both of these. I like the hydraulic but it appears that is won't work on my class C motor-home according to what they are saying. I will have to check the hitch and frame as I believe it should handle the load of my bike I already have a smaller hitch mounted ramp that I use for my scooter (Honda Silver wing 600A) It only weighs 400 lbs (about half the gold wing but putting it on the back does not affect the RV whatsoever. I can see an additional 400 lbs making a difference on a 14,000 pound unit). As a matter of fact, when I pull the car dolly, it is easy to forget the car is back there as it too travels w/o any extra affect on the ride. Guess I will have to check with the manufacturer of the RV and the available units to ascertain the appropriate fit. v_man_1

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Yea, I hear you. some of those state for Class A motor homes only. Not knowing the classes of Motor homes I guess class A's are the realy big ones with your class C being a smaller motor home.

I'd love to be able to afford one of those SilverWings, not the scooter type but the real early versions with the V-twin 650 engine in them for running around local on and just use my Goldwing for the longer trips.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
imported post

Check out Hydralift. One of the nicest bike lifts for RV's that I have ever seen. If I ever upgrade my RV, this is what I'll buy.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

The class C is usually a cab over and though said to be smaller, mine at 30' has more accommodations than many class A 33'. The bathroom is a bit small but I don't spend a lot of time in it or use it that much. The weight (and therefore, the frame I would assume)is comparable to similar size box style A class. Ihave a Ford V10 motor whichprovides plenty of torque and italso has sufficient pull power. To imagine the frame is unable to handle a lift carrying my gold wing would make one wonder why. Looking under it, it appears that the three style hitch attachments would readily bolt or weld on. As I said before, the pull weight and tongue weights do not affect this units towing capacity. :)

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:)Michael,

Again, thanks for your input. Itoo like the old style silver-wings. I got the scooter before I found the deal on my 1200 but kept it because of its surprising roadability, simplicity and high performance (it will actually outrun the wing start to top end) it is also reasonably comfortable although I would nottrip ride it over 500 miles w/o some major comfort modifications. I like to ride and have been on one bike or another over the past 45 years. There is no feeling that can replace the wind in your face and the bugs in your teeth and glasses.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I am a rv service tech. Make sure you check with the manufactor about hanging that much weight on the tail of a motorhome. That is a lot. Just imagine when you go over a large bump on the interstate. That weight multiples several times. I have seen motorhomes broken, walls to the floor. Most tow ratings show gross weight and tongue weight. The tongue is normally 10% of the gross. So that means for a 1000 pound bike and carrier it should be rated at 10,000 towing. Doubt it is that much on your frame. I would suggest to get a truck to tow behind your motorhome for your wife to drive and load the bike in the bed of the truck and then tow dolley the truck.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the info ghostrider. I will definitely check it out. I got a message from two wings that suggested hydralift. It has showed lifts on the back of a Jamboree class C and a Fleetwood class C. Both came with testimonials that indicated it was able to handle the motorcycle's weight. I believe you are right but wonder abut them putting the weight more upright to the suspension. I thought this might allow the suspension to reduce the 'bounce' weight to the frame. I will definitely check it out and if they say it is okay, I will still want a guarantee, not a suggestion. If you have the time and the inclination and because itis an area of both expertise and interest to you, check it out and let me know. I'd sure appreciate and respect your opinion. v_man_1:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.