Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Bought and drove home86Aspencade with about 50K on ittonight.20 mi ride home. Stopped for gas. At least a 1/2 dozen stops from the station to home.All was fine.

10 minutes later I went to leave for a ride.After starting andputting into first, I started to creap forward. Back to neutral and then to first,clutch in, but this time I lurched forward. I braked and stalled. Then I had no clutch at all.

The handle bar clutch resivour was low. It was sucking air when squeezing the clutch handle. I topped off with DOT4 and sealed it back up. I can pump it all I want, but it does not build up any preasure. You'd think if it just had air in the line, it would still pump up.

Anyway, I see the slave on the back side of the transmission case.I will try to bleed the line off tomorrow.

If that does not work, can anyone tell me if that slave comes off without dropping the engine? There doesn't seem to be much clearance between the slave and the center stand. The slave must push a shaft, perhaps there is enough clearance to clear the rod?

What usually goes wrong with these hydraulic clutch system? Master cylinder? Slave? Just thought I'd ask before I bought a manual.

Speaking of manuals, are there any posted on-line?

Thanks in advance for pointing a newbie in the right direction.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

HI

Someone else will be along to help with removing the slave. As far as bleeding, I find it helps to put a piece of clear hose on the bleeder and use a mighty vac or just mouth suction while you work the handle. (bleeder opened)

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

you have air in the lines, first thing you gotta do is bleed the system. i dont think theres something else wrong with it. :)

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

The bleeder is on the left side of the slave cylinder . You can remove the slave without removing the engine. It sounds more like you got air in the system. I would try bleeding the system 1st. You can access the slave easier by renoving the crankcase vent reservoir on the left side.Not knowing the age of the fluids I would definitely flush all of the brakes and clutch and go from there.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I have a 1500 and did have trouble bleeding the system via the slave cylinder bleeder without a pump. If this happens to you and you do not have a bleeder pump, try bleeding at the connection on the master cylinder; be sure to cover the bike with some rags.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

my clutch on the 1200 quit last week. i purchased a kit for the top and seals and spring for the slave. i removed the slave first and found the source of the problem. the piston was gummed up and the cup seal was weak.
replaced the parts ,bled the system and viola i have a good firm clutch once again.
the whole procedure took about 1 1/2 hours.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
imported post

I found a cheaper alternative to a vacuum pump recently - a nurse friend of mine obtained a large (not sure of the capacity, but it's big!) syringe to which I attached approx 45cm of clear windscreen washer tubing.

Used it to bleed the brakes and clutch by simply attaching to the bleed screw, opening it up, then pulling the old fluid through whilst keeping the reservoir topped up. Just watch for the nice clean new fluid, retighten the bleed screw and the job's done.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks to everyone for the quick help!
The advise and the links to the manuals helped me fix it.

I cleaned the resivour and re-filled.
I bleed the master at the banjo nut.
I put a clear hose on the bleed screw of the slave and bleed fluid through until the stained fluid turned clear.
I bleed the master at the the banjo nut again.
Sealed it up and went for a ride!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.