Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Except for additional maintenance costs there are no reasons for solid lifters. I have always adjusted the valves on my other bikes but when I spend more than double for a Wing I would expect not to have to adjust valves.

I think I might have woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Shim & bucket is preferred for sports type bikes, and the GL1800 has sporting pretensions. Also the use of timing chains instead of belts reduces the length of the engine by around 10mm and that is a major factor in being able to move the engine further forward to make more pillion room. I thing shim & bucket weigh less than the hydraulic lifter arrangemant as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the maintenance free hydraulic lifters and quieter rubber belts, but I can see why Honda went the other way wih the GL1800. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

What do the 1500's have? I know the hydraulic lifters in my1200 never needed anyattention for the whole 115,000 milesI rode it.
Honda should have stayed with the 1200 system.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

The 1500's are hydraulic, and they are really reliable. They perform really well even with very high mileages and don't suffer the "stick lifter" problem that sometimes affects the GL1200.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, with 104k miles on the clock my '93 makes no mechanical noises when running, I'd prefer hydraulic lifters in anything. The Goldwing is supposed to be a luxury bike.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

C'mon Honda. Call the 1800 sporting if you like but there is no reason not to have hydraulic lifters on an engine with a rev-limiter set as low as it is on these machines. Further more they add unneeded noise to a bike that is supposed to be renowned for its quietness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.