Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left my petcock open over night and didn't realize until I tried to start the bike in the morning. It didn't fire or turn over. When i realized what I had done I blew the gas out of the cylinders and started it up. Now it sounds like it has a miss fire on the number 3 cylinder. I did some looking around online and found some people saying that it is possible to bend piston rods in this situation. Is that true? how likely is that?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum race
Yes it is possible, though it doesn't always happen to bend rods, have you pulled the plugs and inspected them and while out and kill switch off turn over the motor to be sure all liquid is out of the cylinders? It could be gas that has leaked by or a blown head gasket will leak antifreeze into a cylinder and do the same thing, fouling a plug.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Did it smoke when it fired up, what color and how long did/does it smoke?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It smoked white. It was smoke for sure not steam. Came from both pipes. I didn't run it very long, about a minute or 2.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Pull the plugs and check it.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
When you say "I blew the gas out of the cylinders ", what does that mean? How did you do that?

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
If it bent a rod it would probably have a knock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ghostvet I pulled the plugs a cranked the engine over with the kill switch off. That cleared the gas from the cylinders. #1 and #3 plugs are kinda black. Especially #3. #2 and #4 are fine. I'm not sure what a knock sounds like on a bike. This is my first one. It sounds like a miss fire to me and goes away right around 3k rmps. I know the carbs need to be synced. I'm wondering if leaving the petcock open all night might have caused one of the floats to stick. Also does anyone have a Wix number for the oil filter?

Never mind on the filter number. Found a K&N number. Apparently WIX doesn't make one for this bike.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Shot gas all over your walls did 'Ya?
Put new plugs in it.
Run it to burn the gas out of the exhaust.
All is probably fine.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Over the years I've come across several hydro locked wings. Normally no damage is done, but I have seen two. One the owner tried pull starting his bike with an ATV. The other was 'jumped' with a large semi truck battery. They thought their batterys were discharged.

I've heard of a third. The original GL1500 on a magazine test was reported tipped over, hydro locked and engine damaged. Not sure to what extent the 'testers' attempted starting without pulling the plugs. That's reputedly what prompted Honda to add the notorious auto fuel valve to the fuel system. The very first ones in dealership stores didn't come with this feature, but it was quickly added via product update campaign. This information comes to me via a Honda field service rep.

Oh...and I think I might have saved a guy's eyesight who (apparently didn't understand what was going to happen) was staring into a spark plug hole as I was preparing to spin his hydro locked GL1100 engine over by insisting that he stand back.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
That's interesting on the fuel valve history dizzy. I knew they added it but hadn't heard why.

Race
Did you put in another set of plugs?

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
93Wing and myself took the carbs off of this 1500 of mine, we thought we had drained enough anti freeze out of it to take the carbs off...We did good no antifreeze came out, setting under a tarp the heat made the anti freeze "rise" just enought to get anti freeze in one cylinder...When to crank it up , No go????...Pulled the plugs, hit the start switch, I thought I was clear. Wrong!!!!...It shot anti freeze all over me....Put the plugs back in , missing on one cylinder, swapped plugs around ran OK, but still had a miss...Six new plugs cured that problem....

Not GoldWing but I had this friend who's four and two year old sons seen their dad cleaning the engine using Comet, that old engine had a lot of polished alumiumn parts on that engine, head, intake etc...Dad went to answer the phone, had an emergency call out.....His son's took two cans of comet poured it down all three carbs, then filled the crankcase with water???...He got back home closed the hoods...It was a week or two later he went out to crank it...It was locked up big time...He didn't know it was full of water, had his brother hook it up behind his service truck...That tore that engine completely up, as in bent rods...I bought it for $75.00 pulled it home, took that engine out, found a good running engine rebuilt it, and drove it for several years...It was my "Gangster Car"....1935 four door Dodge, with a 1954 Plymouth 6 banger engine, tricked out....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK. I got new plugs in. Still has a miss at low rpm but it sounds much better. I think the miss is caused by the carbs being out of sync. It smoked a bit when I first started up but it cleared up pretty quick. I think the guy I bought it from put the wrong plugs in it. The plug my parts guy gave me were NGK D8EA(metric) the plugs in the bike were NGK DCPR7E(standard).

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Honda Nut!
23 Posts
Hi don't come by here often, but I noticed this post and can confirm that it does happen, it happened to me unfortunately, the engine doesn't alway knock either with a bent rod but the white smoke, oh yes lots of it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.