Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Why are the tubes leading from the air filter on my 1992 SE1500 blocked off at the end? If they had been open, my recent problem with water in the cylinders stripping my idler gears might never have happened. Or is there a reason to keep them plugged?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

They're blocked since they are on the "clean" side of the air filters... Unblocked you would have exchange of "atmosphere" without restriction (sucking road grime, etc) and blocked, they accumulate quite a bit of effluent before backing-up into the filter housing (or other locations).

Generally, they should be inspected and drained "as needed" as kind of a pre-ride inspection...

If you hydrolocked on fuel, then the hoses would have little impact one-way or the other (location in the air system is above fuel path).

Where these hoses full of water (or stuff) when you experienced your lock? I would think that if they were not 100% full to overflowing that having them opened to drain would not have changed anything...

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply. Bike was left in the open over night in very heavy rain. Failed to start in morning with ominous noise from starter. Long story, but gears stripped. When I checked engine, left hand pots full of water and when stripping for repair, air filter box and pipes full of water

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

That was very bad luck. Did the water get in through the airl filter box?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Getting that much water into a 1500 airbox is pretty dramatic -- the snorkle being fitted horizontally and opening downward should'a prevented most all water pickup while sitting.

Damn sad to hear it m8...

Like Heffo here, I'd be very interested to explore ingress points for significant amounts of rain water...

Wow

:sadguy:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I too would like to know how the water got there.. the intake is pretty well protected unless submerged... were there panels missing/removed??

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The answer is, I don't know. All panels were intact and bike on centre stand. We were away on road trip and rain that night was the most intense I've seen. Can only think it was driven in by the sheer force of the rain

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...this is why I keep a cheap cover with me in one of the bags.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Can anyone tell me where I can get a primary driven gear for my wing?a tooth from the idler gear jammed in the driven gear and broke a tooth.Can't get one from main dealers,anyone breaking an engine?

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a go. Have e mailed a few breakers on e bay. Its only one tooth thats damaged, got a little ding in it. My local engineering shop say they can dress it and it will be fine. Just don't want to strip the motor again

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I have had good luck with Ebay vendors. You just have do your homework and read customer feedback. I do not do business with anyone with less then 99.5% positive feedback.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Got all the parts I need now. The primary driven gear came from CMS in the Netherlands (recommended).Not cheap but they are like rocking horse s..t now.I got one with a slightly chipped tooth if anyone needs it.Now all I got to do is put a goldwing motor back together!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the advice from everybody, this is an amazing site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.