Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My left turn signal is a-ok, my right one is working at what looks to be 10x the normal frequency, resulting in a 'i'm turning right, can't you see the Christmas tree glimmer telling you so?' kind of feeling. Does anyone know where the turn signal relay is for a GL1100A circa 83??

thanks, :)

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Tis the flasher relay at fault. I had this once and I bought one for a few quid from a car accessory shop as it was a lot cheaper than the Honda price. :D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jedinice1980 wrote:
My left turn signal is a-ok, my right one is working at what looks to be 10x the normal frequency, resulting in a 'i'm turning right, can't you see the Christmas tree glimmer telling you so?' kind of feeling. Does anyone know where the turn signal relay is for a GL1100A circa 83??

thanks, :)
No, I don't, but you might be able to hear it if you operate the turn signals in a quiet place with the engine off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oops! :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

The relay is fine. (I say that with 99% certainty)

The same one is used for both sides, so if one side works, then the relay is ok.

If the blinker is flashing really fast, it usually means that one of your lights is burned out, or there is a wiring fault.

If both lights are working perfectly, and you can't find a wiring fault (beleive me, it's there, but may just be too hard to find) replace the relay with a "Heavy Duty" relay. These are desinged to work with cars that have varying blinker loads (like when you tow a trailer) and work off of a solid state circuit, rather than thermal load.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

I had this problem with my car. One side flashed like a strobe. All the bulbs were fine. A new relay fixed it. I would have expected both sides to go faulty at the same time, but it didn't happen that way.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Had this problem on my GL1500 once. It turned out that one of the pins on the relay was rusted (don't ask me how that happened). I still had to buy a new relay from Honda at the usual mugging rates.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

To whom it may concern:

I finally had time to trouble-shoot - a wiring crimp came loose under the seat - possible from taking off the side pannier and having the wire pulled on. Soldered since it was too corroded to recrimp. All good now!!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Good job jedinice1980! :clapper:

It's nice to find a definite problem, and be able to fix it yourself!

Bob :11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One drawback with the heavy duty flashers, like the one I have on my truck, that it doesn't give you any warning when one of the bulbs burn out, it still operates at the same rate.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Hi there,

I also have an 83' Goldwing, same flashing problem. Could it be because the low beam on my headlamp is out. I have a new bulb but have not replaced it yet. I'm running day and night with the high beam, it must be low because no one is flashing me at night. I don't ride much at night anyway.

Thanks,

Gene

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Gene,

Put simply, no. The flasher is only hooked up though the 4 blinkers. The head light is on a totally different circuit.
If you have a "hyper flasher", then you need to check all the turn signal bulbs.
Note, again, the parkers (some people call them running lights) are not part of this circuit. So if one of those bulbs (some people call them globes) is blown, this is not the cause.
If it all checks out ok, and all the globes work, but simply too fast, then the flasher its self may be broken. On my 82 the flasher can is located on the left hand side (standing at the back of the bike) of the false tank. I had to remove the tank to get at it.
Lastly, dont forget, it may not not be a blown bulb or flasher can, but a wiring fault like jedinice1980 had.....

Ben.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

When I replaced the flasher on my 83 Aspencade I went to an automotive type flasher. MUCH cheaper, only afew bucksand works great. No problems at all since I changed it. I didn't have a "hyper" flasher though. Mine was an intermittent problem in that it would work then wouldn't on either side. A hyper flash could be caused by a bad flasher though.

If you want to switch over to an automotive type flasher I'll try to get the part # and post it. You can use the existing connectors by using a small flat screw driver or a stiff wire flattened on the end to slip up under the plastic plug against the wire connector and carefully push in on the locking tang on the connector. The wire and connector should pull right out. After having done this myself,I can say it's easier said than done! If I had to do it again I would just cut the plug off and put on new connectors.

Bob :11grey:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.