Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

this winter on my 91 Interstate? Anything else I need to change/replace/repair while I'm in there? It's only got 13K miles on it, but I figured rubber deteriorates over time, so I want to change them soon. I dont want any valves banging around on top of the pistons. Thanks in advance for your assistance...

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

You are correct, that will work. I am about a 8 outta 10 as far as a wrencher goes, but I think this is doable...

Thanks...
Bill

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I just used Rudy's procedure that Mike mentioned. The procedure worked great. I bought the adjusters from Cycle Max for $67 and the Napa belts which are made by Gates.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

I also used Rudy's guide to change the belts on my '91 Interstate last winter. Not too difficult, the step-by-step de:cool::cool:scriptions and photo's make it easy. I also bought the belts from NAPA.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I would like to mention one thing. Be careful about the right side cam that Rudy recommends securing so it doesn't turn. Once you take off that belt the cam want to spin right away and a bit forcefully too. Maybe others were expecting this. I was not.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

bumping an old thread, buthow do you find out if you need tensioners or not?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If they spin easily/smoothly and don't wobble they are probably Ok; on the bike they will make noise, squeal..but hard to tell if it's tight belts or bad tensioners running on the bike. At least that's what has been said here in the past.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I got around to changing the belts on my 91 Interstate just about 2 months ago. Mine has approx 42K miles and the belts were still original and needed changing!

I followed Rudy's steps and other than one bolt holding the left timing belt cover on breaking off, it all went well.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

With only 15K on the bike, I figure the tensionersare probably ok. I'll probably change the tensioners next time I do belts, unless someone recommends changing them now. There isnt any noise present that I can hear, its fairly quiet (I did come from a hopped-up V-twin though, so its REALLY quiet to me). About the only thing I can hear is the click of shifting and I have a little tire noise when leaning into a turn, and a sound kinda like the transmission whining as I go through the gears. The PO bought a new tire before selling it, so I attributed the tire noise to that.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

ddrumman2004 wrote:
I got around to changing the belts on my 91 Interstate just about 2 months ago. Mine has approx 42K miles and the belts were still original and needed changing!

I followed Rudy's steps and other than one bolt holding the left timing belt cover on breaking off, it all went well.
Did you do the tensioners?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I changed the tensioners a couple of years ago on my '93 with about 95,000 miles on it. The old tensioners were in good shape and really didn't need changing, I think they'd have lasted another 50,000 miles easily. There was no difference in the play or noise when I compared the old tensioners with the new ones. I've checked the tensioners on several 1100s and a couple 1000 and didn't find any problem with any of them and those are getting pretty old now.

Sandiegobrass's postings on DIY tensioner replacement looks good too it someone want's to save some money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.