Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I couldn't get cleaner to flow into the carbs because all the floats were stuck in place and gummed up so I thought I'd remove the floats and the float valves so I could fill the carbs with cleaner stuff and let them soak for a few days and then try to remove all the jet caps and jets. All went well until the last pin. They all were tough but I went slowly and kept spraying with solvent to loosen them up..the last one as I was driving the pin the shorter pivot stanchion broke off right at the base. Something I thought of too late..but might help others when driving stuck pins..is to lightly vise grip the stanchions to give extra support against the pressure of driving a stuck pin.

OH well, I start soaking the carbs and hope I can find a replacement carb body..anyone have one(758A)???

Also still trying to clean the gas tank..muriatic acid, acetone didn't do anything, B-12 hasn't done much..I am stumped. I guess paying a radiator shop to boil it but I hate giving up and spending $$$$!!!!

Now I have a broken slide too!!!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Did you see the Randakk fix for this problem on his site? Might be something you'd enjoy doing?

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

tomw wrote:
Did you see the Randakk fix for this problem on his site? Might be something you'd enjoy doing?
+1, just got the news letter intoday's e-mail... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yeah, it may come to that but for now I'm looking for a replacement carb..758A #1 carb.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

You might want to scope out EBay. There's a rack of 758's on there right now for $75. I didn't have time to go any further. As you know, shopping on EBay can be a crap shoot but I've had pretty good luck with it. I bought a set of carbs for my'77 for $90 and they were a very good deal.

Good luck

Hobie

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Hobie...say Merry Chritmas tothe girls for me,will ya?

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Hobie.. There's a rack rack rack rack rack rack rack rack rack rack (shouldn't there be 12?)

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

morram wrote:
Hobie.. There's a rack rack rack rack rack rack rack rack rack rack (shouldn't there be 12?)
I always say the more the merrier ( Christmas that is ) :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Sorry RB, I didn't mean to create a distraction.

Ho Ho Hobie:dude:

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Oh...its not you Hobie.Its not you thats a distraction.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

What???? distraction??? Oh those..I have better at home..

PS my wife is reading this as I type..oops I jsut got head slapped and again..gotta go :)

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

:baffled:Just an idea in a "have-to" case.
I think you are talking about the hole area that the pin slides into on one side of the float. If you are, I used J. B. Weld and cemented one back onmy GL 1100A carbs.
After the J. B. Weld hardens; use the good hole side for a guide; use only fingers ona drill bit the size of the pin; reamthe holeout so the pin will slide in easily. Therevery littlepressure on this point and when the bowl is fitted the pin can't slide out.
So far mine is working OK.
Replacement is best if you can find one.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Yeah, I thought about that..as last resort money is tight so we'll see..drilling it out bit sounds like a good idea too!!!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

RB

I held an idle jet in with Marine Tex it works real good and gas does not effect it. Of course that is if you can't find a new body.

Good luck Tom

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
imported post

I've got a set laying around, they might be junk though. I'll check it out this weekend and get back to you.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks Homerdog..if you got a body and a slide that's what I am looking for now..one of my slides broke off?? not sure why one day looked fine the next not

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Got to clean out the garage at my old house. The # 3 carb of the set I have has a broken post for the choke lever and I have a set that went threw hurricane rita 3 years ago. Some good parts left in both sets. Charge is pass good parts on to someone else.

Send address in pm asap. Litfuse

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I have some carbs parts from a 83 gl1100.The bodies are in good shape but need good cleaning.Slide in fair shape just need cleaed.If you would like to check them out send me an e-mail and I'll send you some pics and If you want them you can make me an offer. My
e-mail address is [email protected].

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.