Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking for an old Tape Deck for a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  PAF1047 
#1 ·
imported post

Hello,
I am looking for an old Tape Deck for a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade. What brand does it take? If You got one for sale, Please PM Me
Thanks,
Nightrider1

#2 ·
imported post

What's wrong with the one that's on the bike now?

#3 ·
imported post

Is what you are looking for a knob style radio/cassette deck? Are you trying to restore back to original?

Depending on your answer, you might look to upgrade to a new style, with more wattage and the ability for I-pod or mp3 player, instead of messing with tapes or CD's.

Which, a regular CD doesn't work well in bikes, but if the are mp3 CD's they work pretty well.

Marty

#4 ·
imported post

Mike,
All I have on 1t now is the Clarion1 am/fm Radio. The tape deck has a screw cover over it, and I haven't even taken that out yet. All the top has is a homemade plastic cover. They done a pretty good job on it too.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

#5 ·
imported post

That looks like a Clarion 2 on your Aspy. Can't quite see what you have on the left side of the faring as the handlebars are in the way.

#6 ·
imported post

It is a Clarion 2 system he has, also Clarion 1 systems didn't have a cassette player.

#8 ·
imported post

I believe it is a Clarion 2, I believe. I'm not sure. My cams down, so the pic will be forthcoming, and I took the 4 allen head screws off the left cover, and it has a plug in for a tape deck or something. What goes here?
Thanks,
Nightrider1

Addition: It looks Identical to the one below, but mine has a cover to the left with 4 allen head screws in it. Also, My Adj/Me button is missing on the botttom right, so I use a toothpick to set it. Works ok, but uses a lot of voltage under 2000rpms.
Nightrider1

Attachments

#11 ·
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
I believe it is a Clarion 2, I believe. I'm not sure. My cams down, so the pic will be forthcoming, and I took the 4 allen head screws off the left cover, and it has a plug in for a tape deck or something. What goes here?
Thanks,
Nightrider1

Addition: It looks Identical to the one below, but mine has a cover to the left with 4 allen head screws in it. Also, My Adj/Me button is missing on the botttom right, so I use a toothpick to set it. Works ok, but uses a lot of voltage under 2000rpms.
Nightrider1
If it's identical then you even have a cb in there somewhere too. The cb can be seen by looking in the fairing with the right turn signal removed. It's just forward of the radio tuner that's under the right side pocket.

The empty left side pocket sounds like it already has the mount and harness installed for the cassette player and you need the original Clarion cassette player to fit in there. Not worth the hassle, money or time to find one that actually works. You can get a cable that plugs into the distribution unit where the cassette plugs into it for a mp3 player instead. The RCA ones that Walmart sells has very good volume that works well for this.

You can remove that mount and harness and just put a left pocket in there, I have one for that side, I think, but no cover for it.

#13 ·
imported post

I have two of them, I bought them off of ebay. said that they worked I will have to check and make sure. One of them has the power plug cut off, but can be hard wired. The rubber boots are worn but as a whole can clean up and look nice, one of them has the cover.

I was going to put one in whenI restored my 83 then thought other wise.

#14 ·
imported post

I'm confused but it sounds like you do not have the CB option. Get that camera working!

I recently added an OEM brand new cassette player to my Aspy. When people comment on how new it looks I tell them that I've just upgraded from 8-track!

Previous to that I purchased an adapter cable from a British website which allowed me to play my MP3 player, and anything else with a headset plug, through my system. Worked great but I wanted to go for the Collector Vehicle status with my Aspy.

If you're still looking for a cassette player you could always post in the For Sale/Wanted forum.

#15 ·
imported post

gido wrote:
If you're still looking for a cassette player you could always post in the For Sale/Wanted forum.
This is the For sale\Wanted forum.:D:D:D:D:D

#17 ·
imported post

Bagmaster,
I was working with my mirrors better on my 83 Aspencade, and I did find the cb where you said it would be, so all I guess I need is the controller that goes on the handlebars. I really appreciate the information. It has all of the wiring connectors coming out of it also.
Thank You,
Sincerely
Nightrider1

P.S.
Been doing so much with the Aspencade, I've neglected to keep my little 80 GL1100 all polished. Theres just not enough time to do it all.

#18 ·
imported post

Bagmaster Wrote:
If it's identical then you even have a cb in there somewhere too. The cb can be seen by looking in the fairing with the right turn signal removed. It's just forward of the radio tuner that's under the right side pocket.

The empty left side pocket sounds like it already has the mount and harness installed for the cassette player and you need the original Clarion cassette player to fit in there. Not worth the hassle, money or time to find one that actually works. You can get a cable that plugs into the distribution unit where the cassette plugs into it for a mp3 player instead. The RCA ones that Walmart sells has very good volume that works well for this.

You can remove that mount and harness and just put a left pocket in there, I have one for that side, I think, but no cover for it.

Mike,
I checked, and I do have the CB Module in there, with all of the wiring/connectors. All I need now is just the handle bar CB controls.
Thanks Bro!
Nightridder1

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.