Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Redwing if you look at the thumbnail I posted of the gasket and look at the right side sealing ring you can see where it completly gave way and is seriously pitted.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Okay I have moly grease is that different from moly paste as has been mentioned?

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Did find some scuffing on the top inside of my down cylinder as I was finishing the block clean up

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Minor scuffing is not unusual especially on the side of the cylinder that the rotation of the engine thrusts the piston against the cylinder wall. As long as it is minor. Might you describe it as being glazed?

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yep its smooth it's not rough or marked and it's just on the lower fwdside.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I have decided to take the head into a machinist to clean the head up.
Just want it cleaned up I dont want to take to much off. Is 10 okay

·
Administrator
58,426 Posts
I would not specify 'how much', just tell him to true it up.
he knows how to do that, w/o taking off so much the pistons hit the valves.
it might only need 0.003" to do the job.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It will take what it will take to be flat again. With a head that small it should not be much. You can measure it to get a rough idea of what it will take, but it won't be until you are actually machining it that you will know for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Like Rambo said. Take what you have to. The 3 limiting factors are the change in the angle of the intake manifold on cars. The other two that apply are that you can not remove so much as to machine in to the valve seat. The most common is when you surface the head the size of the combustion chamber shrinks. This raises compression. Could cause ping etc. Also it can affect cylinder balancewhere one side makes more power than the other. None are real issues even if you have to take a little more which I doubt anyway. Not to worry!:)

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Then again you never specified 10 what? As Honda specs are usually in metric.
I think it almost has to be .010" as 10 millimeters would be around 7/16" and 1/10 of a millimeter would only be .004". Good point though. Reminds me of the Mars Climate Satellite that crashed in to Mars because they did not convert metric to English units. Cost us 125 Million dollars. :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yup, but .010" is not much so I'm guessing that is the service limit, not the maximum cut. My older Honda shop manuals used to list new, worn, and service limit for things like this. On some Honda cars they have a spec for total head thickness measured from a datum pad. Depending on the reading you would shim the cam towers. I've seen plenty of heads that were warped .010" or more and still running fine when torn down. While you never want to take more than is necessary, I would not worry about not exceeding .010".

·
Registered
205 Posts
I took 0.025 of 1000 heads with no issues. As for OEM gaskets: I don’t think anyone is selling them anymore as they used to be made. OEM was constructed on a metal grid with gasket material on each side. They are all just souped up gaskets now with no additional support. My last pair were from Western a Honda and they were junk. Probably why their price has come down.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
I took 0.025 of 1000 heads with no issues. As for OEM gaskets: I don’t think anyone is selling them anymore as they used to be made. OEM was constructed on a metal grid with gasket material on each side. They are all just souped up gaskets now with no additional support. My last pair were from Western a Honda and they were junk. Probably why their price has come down.
Small block Chevy racers routinely angle cut cylinder heads .125' to .150". Then they have to angle cut the intake port surface and use a shim and 2 gaskets to get the intake to fit and seal properly. Makes Honda's .010" really small. :)

·
Administrator
25,003 Posts
The .010 (.25mm) limit is to maintain emission requirements, more won't hurt it but probably not necessary.

·
Registered
205 Posts
After taking 0.025”, i glass sanded some and tried an 0.030” head gasket. I’m guessing it was 0.040” altogether and I put the 1000 heads on a 1200 block. It did end up with pistons lightly kissing the heads in the squish area, probably only at high rpm. I don’t think I did any damage to either the pistons or heads, but I was very lucky. The 1200 is different than other four cylinder Wings in that the pistons come up past the block. So 0.035” is pushing the envelope on that application. I think it would clear no problem on 1000/1100 motors as their pistons are roughly 0.040” below the deck.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Took the head to machine shop discovered the exhaust valve is pitted and seats are cupped is the head toast or can I have the valves ground.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts