Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can lap the valves and seats. Seats can be reground (cut), but not valves. Valves have a stellite coating which is not very thick. New valves are still around. 1000 and 1100 used the same valves.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Good info on 1000 and 1100 valves.
The exhausts are both 32mm but the 1200 has a smaller intake, I believe 36 mm as opposed to 38mm for the 1100.
Found plenty of new 1000 valves that are exhaust comparable with the 1200
So I am stuck here

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Took the head to machine shop discovered the exhaust valve is pitted and seats are cupped is the head toast or can I have the valves ground.
The valves are not supposed to be ground but the seats can be.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Good info on 1000 and 1100 valves.
The exhausts are both 32mm but the 1200 has a smaller intake, I believe 36 mm as opposed to 38mm for the 1100.
Found plenty of new 1000 valves that are exhaust comparable with the 1200
So I am stuck here
The exhaust valve live a much tougher life than the intake valve. The exhaust temp and combustion remnants are hard on the exhaust valves and seats. The intake has a nice flow of cool air and fuel that flows through it.
My point is if you can get new exhaust valves by all means do so. The intakes do not usually give trouble. Clean them up nice and lap them if you like.Traditional lapping does not work on stellite . It takes a special machine and compound. You have to buy stellite stones to even grind stellite.
I would install the new exhaust valves after grinding the valve seat. The intakes I would clean and inspect. Assemble the head without the camshaft yet. Place the head on a workbench upside down and fill the combustion chamber with water. Leave it over night. Next morning check to be sure the runners are dry. If it will seal water over night it will seal air as well. I would not disturb rge intake valve or seat by grinding. Hopefully you kept the intake valves in the same order as when you took it apart.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
i have the head at a machine shop now. i have located the exhaust valves as the 1000 and 1100 are the same ill get on it and locate the intakes.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Should be able to find a valve on eBay or at Bob's. 602-2434241 or 602-437-3148

Look at the part numbers to make sure what years interchange.

The seat can probably be lapped.
yep no answer ar bobs evidently he hasnt set voice mail up. i have two exhaust valves from a 1100 coming and they are new. now to keep researching for intakes lol

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
yep no answer ar bobs evidently he hasnt set voice mail up. i have two exhaust valves from a 1100 coming and they are new. now to keep researching for intakes lol
Look at Redwing 52s post above. You don't need new intakes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it ever gets to the point of diminishing supplies, the 1200 exhaust valve will work in the earlier years as long as you use the 1200 keepers and retainers.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
If it ever gets to the point of diminishing supplies, the 1200 exhaust valve will work in the earlier years as long as you use the 1200 keepers and retainers.
You mean the 1100 exhaust valves the machinist told me the intakes are great so I am ordering two exhaust valves for the 1100

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
14721-MG9-000 is the parts number for the 1200 exhaust

1100 is this part
14721-MB9-780
is there a difference or was this just a stocking drill.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Might or might not be the same. This is how ut works:

14721- What it is (exhaust valve) MG9-Which bike it is for. (1200) 000 (Vendor info)

14721- What it is (exhaust valve) MB9-Which bike it is for. (1100) 780 (Vendor info)

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
How about some of the following? Click on the link below.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Okay thanks I saw all those on ebay I just wanted to make sure ..thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Definitely use the 1000/1100 valves. I was just saying for way off in the future when parts get really scarce, we may need other sources and the 1200 exhaust valve will work. Same diameter, length, stem diameter, but uses different locking collars (keepers), retainers, and has an improved design. I have some in a 1000 head.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts