Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everyone, as some of you know i bought my first wing a week ago. A 86 Interstate GL1200 i posted some pics days ago of it and you guys have helped with some stuff as im getting it perfect and road ready. Well today i ran across a deal of sorts. A man here had to dodge a deer on the road and road his wing off the road into a field and fipped it over. this happened last year and he thought he would fix it but just lost interest. It has sat in his shop for almost a year. I bought it today. So here is my thoughts on this= do i fix this one up and sell my 86 or fix and sell the 91 or? anyway its a 1991 Anniversary Edition GL1500 Interstate i guess they call it the gold and tan or gold and beige model? It has 42000 miles New fluids last year so i will replace them from sitting. new E3 tires, new brakes. The damage is all cosmetics. front fairing or part of it anyway, one mirror, clutch cable, rear trunk and some other trim pieces and some of the plastics just came apart and need to be put back together. Engine is perfect as is wheels, tires pegs seats, has the stereo etc as well. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bryan S

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

only you can decide which to sell and which to keep. it'll be ok which ever way you go..

hope this helped in your decision.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

mark:waving:

durn:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Bryan S fix them both and then ride them ? you decide which to keep or keep them both.??? My choice would be keep the 1500se !:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Fix both...Ride them and then decide. I like the 91 color as it is the same as the 85 LTD....Sunflash Gold and Metallic Brown.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Wow! I have been looking for a wing for the better part of 2 years. And you find 2 deals in a week..:(

You do have a real problem though. Which one?? You could do like a lot of folks and just keep both of them..;)

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Fix 'em both and ride each for awhile. No hurry deciding since you have a better investment going than any bank would give you.

If you have time & can use the $, look for a third.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I have just sepent two weeks learning about the 86 1200 and i know nothing about the 91 1500. was there anything special about the anniversary model in 91? or is it just the plaque on the bike? Thanks, Bryan I might sell one of them after i figure all this out.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

If it was me, I'd just keep both of them....Your return on investment would be much better than the stock market...

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

did you get any of th deer meat?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Well I can tell you this. You can probably buy another 1200 for what yer gonna pay or a fairing for the 1500.

If it were me, I would part out the 1500 and spend the profits on the 1200.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
imported post

Once you ride the 1500 you will know which one you really like.
I had both a 1200 and a 1500 and eventually sold the 1200. The ride on the 1500 is soo much more comfortable.
But you will have to find this out for yourself.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Well I can tell you this. You can probably buy another 1200 for what yer gonna pay or a fairing for the 1500.

If it were me, I would part out the 1500 and spend the profits on the 1200.
Broke has a very good point, but another way of going about it might be to get on the hunt for another 1500 that has damage to other parts and then use this as a doner bike to get the one you have top notch and then part what is left of the doner bike to recoup some, if not all of the money.

Either that or be prepared to sit on the 1500 project until a deal comes up for the parts you need and then tackle it.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hey everyone. Well i got the GL 1500 home that i posted i bought. The damage is all cosmetic but i still cant figure out if i should fix the 91 and keep or keep the 86 thats almost all ready to go. My 86 will be complete the end of this week. Im excited to ride it for the first time. I posted some pics of the 91 i just got just click on the link. maybe you guys can tell from the pics if i should fix it or? Thanks, Bryan http://web.mac.com/bryansteele :baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

I know the Interstate does not have reverse, an air compressor, or the standard stereo set up. Its like a stripped down version of the standard 1500. I believe it does have an AUX audio input jack, though.

Sell'em both and buy you a '97-'00 1500.:)

...or fix'em both and have a spare. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

My opinion is since the 1200 is rideable....ride it, work on the 1500....When the 1500 is ready, ride it and then decide.

Maybe keep the 1200 as a "solo" or daily riderand the 1500 for a "2up" or couples getaway bike. (I will have the same decision to make once I find a 1500 when funds come available).

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

I would just give the 91 wing away to some guy who had some extra space his garage........
call me 111-111-1111
:D

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

A member here, Trucknchuck probably has enough 1500 parts for you to put yours together. I think he's in Cali but he ships though. Good luck.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

As already mentioned I'd ridethe 1200 while restoring the 1500. Using eBay and othersources you ought to be able to get the pieces needed to get the 1500 road ready. Then ride the 1500 for a bit. After that sell them both and buy a 1500 Aspencade. Once you get used to that low speed torque and smoothness of the 'silent six' it's hard to give it up.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

As the 1200 is ready to roll, ride it and get used to and it's weight. It is quite a pleasant machine however seeing as you have the 1500 and the engine is a runner, if all is as you say cosmetic I would tidy it up and try riding it as a comparison before you sell or part one out over the other one. The 1500 takes some getting used to, it is a mite heavier than than the 1200 but has similar fuel economy. Twin carb setup rather than the 4 of the 1200. There is more leg room and the engine has an effortless torque to it, I really like riding mine.
You are fortunate to have both in your stable, why not give both the benefit of the doubt until you have ridden both of them before you make your final decision. I was lucky to have ridden a 1200 before buying the 1500. Although I take size tens, and am 6'4", I found that there is not much footroom on the 1200. On the otherhand all day riding is comfortable enough with the riding position of the 1500 once you get used to the upright riding position.

My wife loves the comfort of the back seat and often sat forthree to four hours at a time without complaint. Whenever I stopped for gas she would stay seated and continue untill the next fillup. On our recent trip to California, she just loved the seating position and we had a ball.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.