Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My best MPG ever was 37.8mpg until today, I just got 40.8mpg, a +3mpg increase!

Started with full tank, put 241 miles on it, took 5.91gal to fill up, 40.86MPG!

OK, this started the other day when I saw another thread here.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/120903-1.html

I followed the link in it, another, and ended up at a High Performance Car forum it seemed, thread talking about adding 2 Cycle oil to gas, ONLY TC-W3 type as it is ash-less and has cleaning additives.
I read all 50 pages of that thread! Started out sometime 2008 and has dwindled but still fairly recent.

So I decided to give it a try. It can't hurt anything that is for sure. ONLY 1oz per 4-5gals of gas.
OK, I got a bottle of SuperTech TC-W3 rated 2cycle outboard motor boat oil.

I first put some oil in at house and ran it to gas station.
I'll post again here what I posted in other thread.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

My first post in other thread was this

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I tossed some 2 stoke oil in the wifes jeep, see if there's any noticeable improvements later.

Unfortunately she never checks the gas mileage so unless it changes dramatically it's just a guess. But I'll know if it starts running better, idle better, or start better.

I'll toss 1oz in the 88 1500 and see what it does, I been getting 37.? constantly now normal riding, or less if I hammer it or run hard but I don't do that much.

Last tank was 37.8mpg, 37.5 mpg tank before that, so if I break into the 40mpg range I'll know, I have never hit 40mpg yet on the 1500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not been back in wifes Jeep yet since then, she has drove about 100+ miles.
I'll worry about the jeep about end of week LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Having read the entire 50 pages of the thread on the other site, I posted as below,

-------------------------------------------------------------

I read the entire 50 pages of the thread on TC-W3 2 cycle oil last night.

Some things I already knew and found a couple new things also.

First make sure the 2Cycle oil is TC-W3 type oil, NOT just any 2stoke oil
TC-W3 is ashless and has cleaning additives. Does not matter what brand, as long as it meets or exceeds TC-W3 specs
mix only 1oz with 4-5 gallons of gas. Not enough to hurt anything or make anything smoke, but it's enough to clean the fuel system and keep everything lubricated.
The cleaning additives in TC-W3 help clean the carbs or injectors, valves, seats, stems, pistons, rings, and the ring grooves etc... any place the fuel travels.
Also the oil lubricates everything where the fuel travels.

Just OIL will not clean anything, and many products are just chemical cleaners and do not lubricate anything.
We all know that keeping things clean and lubed makes them seal better and wear less.

As for mileage gains some claim, I can see where many people could get a little more millage.
If the engine is dirty, rings and valves sticking a bit or gunk not letting them seal fully, then the engine is not operating properly and will get less MPG. Fix those problems and the engine will gain MPG when it starts operating properly of course.
Also anytime we can remove friction and let things work more freely it takes less energy, keeping the cylinder walls, valve stems, etc... better lubed may remove a little friction as well as wear less.

I think that thread about using TC-W3 2 cycle oil was primarily concerned with keeping engine clean and less wear on critical parts for a better running engine. Gas millage was not the primary focus though many claimed to have got better millage. Some only .5mpg better and some claimed up around 2-3mpg better.

As always, have to wade through some junk posts also.
One person said he was skeptical when his friend was telling him about it, so his friend pulled the valve cover and showed him how clean the engine was LOL
Anyone that know the least little thing about 4 stroke engines like cars should know NOTHING from the fuel system goes under the valve cover LOL
If the top of the head and valve cover was super clean, that was crankcase oil that kept it clean, not any fuel treatment LOL
-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, we can figure I got an 88 with about 170K, so there may be some gunk built up in engine LOL
I'm sure it's probably been Seafoamed before, and I know I have ran SeaFoam myself bit.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well, this is when I first ran some TC-W3 oil in my 1500 gas and we start seeing some brass tacks LOL 20th.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I ran about 250 miles today or a bit more.
I tossed in about 1.5oz at home, rode about 25 miles, got a gal of gas, road about 30 miles got another gal of gas.
I felt something seem to change out on the road!
Running about 65mph I seemed to get a bit smoother feel between gas stops.

I took off from the second gas stop and ran mostly about 65mph to the north. I say mostly because I had to keep looking down at speedo and slowing back down LOL
I don't know, the 1500 just seemed to want to run at 70mph so easy today, felt like I should have been doing 65 LOL

I was going to do a fill up and ride some miles then check MPG, but I saw DARK clouds to my left when I stopped 125miles from home and turned around.

On way home I had lighting close off to my right and saw I was riding into the storm, so end of testing for today LOL
I stopped to fill up about 40 miles from home, the storm hit while I was there, put on wet suit and got hammered with rain about 20 mile till I rode out of it, but now home it's hitting here now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well today was the next ride/test!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

heck i'll try it that little bit of oil wont hurt anything to be honest

ive done this kinda treatement on the old tractors on the farm helps them run a bit better when your really workin the motors puts alittle bit more lube in the fuel

we'll see what happens probably wont notice much of any diffrence

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

OK, Todays ride and results!

I started out from home about 3:30AM, rode wife to work and trying to decide where to go today. First ride after the last one posted about so not checked mileage yet then.

I SHOULD have checked my MPG this morning! I had rode about 78 miles and took right about 2gal to fill up!
I put just a tad more TC-W3 into the tank at fill up.

So I decided nowhere else to go,
"Ride to EAT, and EAT to RIDE"!
I grabbed a $1 thing at BK and coffee at MCD.
Off I go back roads to BRANSON, MO for a $6 all I can eat breakfast, only about 120miles away so why not!

Now mind you, I go to Branson kinda often, had the 1500 there 3 times already at least. This is the same road I have ran exactly 2 of those times, and mostly the 3rd time though a section changed that trip.
NEVER have I gotten any better than 37.8mpg on a tank on the 1500, including these trips. Matter fact the 37.8mpg was the best I ever got before and it was on the return leg of this trip the last time I made it!

I ran 241 miles on that tank of gas today! It took 5.91gal (USA) to fill tank, 40.86mpg!
Route next post.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

thats not bad probably have to dose the tank each time you gas up more than likely

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

peterbilt, are you trying to interrupt me, hey I'm on a roll here LOL
Just joking or course.

OK, back to today.

If you want to google the route or anything.

I filled up in West Plains, MO the headed out HY 160 to Branson. This is a nice 55mph road where I ran mostly 55mph-60mph but it has some nice riding slow twisties also where I rode slower. I got to 76 near Forsyth, MO and went that way into Branson Landing. From there I ran up 76 to Starvin Marvin where I ate breakfast.
From Starvin Marvin I ran out to Gretna Road, a nice easy ride, took a detour around a large shopping center parking lot to see what stores where there, continued on out.
I hit 65N and ran north till I hit the HY160 exit towards Forsyth, MO. Nice road for riding there also.
Followed HY 160 back to West Plains, MO where I waited for the wife to get off work.
Rode on back to Thayer MO down HY 63S and got gas in town.

All of this route I have rode before, I have never got a full 38mpg before. I rode the same way, same style, same weather in general, same low traffic (mostly none), same tire air. About only odd thing was I was carrying 2Gal gas in a side bag as I was trying to run out, see if my low fuel light works or not.

241 miles is as far as I have pushed 1 tank of gas. I normally check milleage and fill up before the trip and while there before coming home.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

you need to lay off the coffee chromo its just fuel milage its not the end of the world

and yes i like interuppting people it shows im impotant

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

Good stuff Chromo. Keep those reports coming. Like you, I have never topped 40 mpg. I've been tracking every fillup for about 2 years now. I average 32-33 mpg mostly back roads riding. I don't have nearly as many miles as you do, but the age of my bike may be a factor. I think I might try some of this TC-W3 oil.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Chromo, does your wife appreciate that you are saving HER money while she is WORKING and you are riding around? Just a joke, HeHe.................

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Chromo buddy thats cool. I just did same thing between Sat and today.. Went 170 miles on 4.2 gallons( actual 4.17) lol...only difference is mine was all 65 mph or higher, bout 70 miles of that on two lane and rest (bout 100) was on interstate speeds of 75 or higher... had 15 mph winds today for bout last 60 miles of that tank...Difference is i added bout 4oz sea foam instead of two cycle oil....LOL...OH. one more thing, it was ALL two up with mrswannabe on the back( granted she dont weigh much).....;)

·
Administrator
26,525 Posts
imported post

I tried the 2 stroke oil thing a year or so ago and didn't notice any change in anything. It definately will not harm anything and is probably good for the engine and fuel system. I intended to continue using it but it slips my mind. I was carrying a small container of it inside the fuel door so as not to forget, but I forgot where I put the bottle of oil.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

It all has to do with that right wrist!

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

LmAo rocketman... Even though I didnt keep up with mpg I did notice the engine running a lot smother. Thanks for the tip and ill post when I get some miles on with it in.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

i went for a long ride tonight a did notice an increase in millage. also engine is lot quieter and runs smoother. thanks for the tip again. went and bought a gallon tonight at walmart. 10 bucks for you guys that want to try it,

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
you need to lay off the coffee chromo its just fuel milage its not the end of the world

and yes i like interuppting people it shows im impotant
Hey you know I only meant that as a joke cause I was posting so much there LOL
And how did you know I been drinking coffee? LOL

I am pretty happy this oil worked and did something though.
I been trying to get a little better mileage, 40MPG was the goal, now I was up to nearly 41.

I can't say what it did yet. Maybe I had a sticky ring or valve and it cleaned it, or maybe it was the lube let the engine run with less friction? My engine seemed to be running fine before, but something is better now.

I know I ran Seafoam in the 1500 already before, far more costly and still never got to even 38mpg till now.

I'm thinking of taking a ride now, maybe 65mph up the HY and see how I do, if I still get the 40.8mpg or if I can do better with out all the speed changes for twisties and little towns.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Rocketman911 wrote:
It all has to do with that right wrist!
Well, sometimes is does, but I have rode about anyway you can ride and I never got over 37.8mpg on this bike before. Nothing any different yesterday other than the oil added to gas and I got better MPG than I ever have before.

But your right about the right wrist other times, I have gotten lower MPG because of it LOL

·
Kazi
352 Posts
imported post

I get 40-45 on my 1200 when I ride 65 mph. If I do this I should get almost 50 definetly going to give it a try. Anything helps when you drive 65 miles one way to work.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I got my mileage to jump about 3mpg just by changing the windsheild to a stock unit. I averaged 37-38 before and now average 40-42 depending on how hard I twist the throttle.

I will have to give it some thought and maybe try it.

Glad it's working for you....:waving:

1 - 20 of 342 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.