Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Don't get me wrong, my wife is a wonderful lady who will work her butt off when called for. I've been trying to get my wife as interested in riding as I am. She just doesn't seem to be that person. Wind bothers her when riding. With her you don't even ride in the car with the windows down when taking a cage trip. Just taking her riding up the street at 25 mph she feels it's too much wind. I know she won't put up with the ups and downs of weather in long distance touring. I know she won't ride in the rain and I know there is no trailer big enough for what she needs along on a trip.

Maybe I should buy a single bike trailer and tow it to our destinations and then take some day trips to do some sight seeing. She might enjoy that. I'll have to plan my long distance bike trips alone. (sob) :(

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

Bob,

Shopping is the answer!

When my wife found out that there is much opportunity for shopping at most GWRRA rallies, she was an instant fan!

Now all I have to do is mention the word “rally” and she’s got her gear on and is ready to go!You just need to plan your rides so that they include multiple shopping opportunities!

But remember, “shopping” means shopping for things of interest to the ladies, not just shopping for chrome for you! They catch on to that fast!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I was disappointed to find out that Mrs UBW didnt really enjoy herself, either. We've come to an understanding though... She'd really rather stay home and play in her garden.

There's no sense in urging her to come with if she's not enjoying it. If she stays home, she's doing something she wants, and while on the ride, I am getting what I want.

Besides, its always more fun to ride at your own pace, breaking when you want to, and not having to be considerate...;)

·
Banned
85 Posts
imported post

You can't force your wife to enjoy riding, either she likes it or she doesn't, maybe it's time to sit down with her and talk about what SHE likes to do, compromising can be painful, but enjoying life together doing what you both like is really the bottom line.:)

There may be more involved than the wind, communicate and find out.

BTW I am not a marriage counselor, but I did stay at a holiday Inn last night.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

My wife is the same way. We take trips together in the Vette. On the bike I ride alone. We both get what we want. Such is life. I do wish she could and would ride with me but those days are gone. I still have to enjoy riding and she still enjoys doing the things she can do.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

My wife and I've been talking about her riding still. She keeps bring up, what if I was on the back of the trike when that car ran into you. I'll have to wait until I'm riding again to really find out, but we've been with each other long enough to respect each others decision as well. I hope she will, but that is a scary thought to her of which I can understand. Funny in a way, I can get hurt, but to see her hurt is a whole different ballgame.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

My wife was off of bikes for about 6 years after she had a stroke at the age of 43. She was the one that suggested I get rid of the Nighthawk and buy a Wing that became available for a rediculas price so that she could try riding again. For her, the security of those big bags and trunk made all the difference. She is going to try camping again in the near future. She has to progress as HER pace.

·
Premium Member
5,406 Posts
imported post

My wife loves to ride as passenger but a leg problem keeps her off the bike. She has an issue withthe IT band in herright legthat causes cramps after a few minutes in the wrong position. Physio has helped her get some general relief but riding is out of the question.

We have a Cavalier convertible that lets us enjoy the wind and sky when time permits but the M/C is a solo venture. After 35 years I'm not trading her in.

I do miss sharing the adventures with her.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

My wife will never do much riding with me either. She'll take short trips, meaning 20-30 miles, but that's about it. She doesn't mind me riding though so we too have a compromise.

John

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
boyo, the last thing you want is a passenger that is uptight...
I once had a female passenger that was just the opposite. She was so drunk, she kept nodding off, and slumping to the side. Wasn't nothing holding her up, I had no armrests or anything like that.

Crazy woman, hardly knew her sober, but she was fun in a way.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I'm lucky! When I first started riding it was on a 600VTX, much too small for both of us anyway, but at that time my DW had no intention of EVER getting on a bike. Some of our friends rode a GW, and Mrs. Friend pestered my wife to go riding with them. When I came home one day on a Sabre 1100, DW said reluctantly "let's go for a ride", and had been riding ever since. On our first long day ride she told me I needed a more comfortable bike, so just to make her happy :DI bought a GW.

She's become as much of a fanatic about it as me. :action:

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Trade her in then.............:cooldevil:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Sidecar.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

Your wife sees a motorcycle as a tool, much like we see a vibrating sander as a tool.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

My wife doesn't want me to ride without her. She doesn't like the wind but still loves the ride. If it is noise or just the buffeting to the ears, try foam ear plugs.

James

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

My wife LOVES the bike, and says riding on it is among her most favorite things in the world to do. I often have to look back behind just to make sure she's still there! She just looks at things as they go by and enjoys the ride.

Putting the tall Slipstreamer windshield made a huge difference for her - whereas she would get buffeted around quite badly before, now it's nice and calm and she enjoys even highway travel.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
My wife LOVES the bike, and says riding on it is among her most favorite things in the world to do. I often have to look back behind just to make sure she's still there! She just looks at things as they go by and enjoys the ride.

Putting the tall Slipstreamer windshield made a huge difference for her - whereas she would get buffeted around quite badly before, now it's nice and calm and she enjoys even highway travel.
I wondered if a tall windshield would help. I like looking over the top of my windshield, but maybe I'll have to get used to a taller, larger windshield to help her out back there.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Some people just don't like riding bikes. If your wife doesn't want to do any long rides a.k.a. traveling, just enjoy the time you get with her on the short rides.

I've been really lucky, mine will get on the back and just hope that we're heading North. :action:

Just be patient,, those little rides might lead to ones that are a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
64,639 Posts
imported post

I guess I'm lucky, my wife will put up with the wind, snow, rain, and heat.. She can pack for 7 plus days in the trunk and can sit back there from tank to tank.. The last 7 day trip was close to 3k.. Her only complaint was her helmet hair.. I only have to work our trips between her golf schedule.. I got an old tough one, 68 years young.. We've got over 175k miles under the belt..
The key is to break them in young....................

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.