Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand!! I can take my camper into the middle of the woods, build a fire, and make myself more than comfortable. Sit there with a coffee, and a little conversation. Or just alone. When it is cold enough to see your breath, you bundle up, and set a little closer to the fire, but no bugs. When it is warm. You don't need all the clothes, but the bugs can be a nuisance. Either way I enjoy being out in the woods. I think I feel like I have conquered something when I can be comfortable in a hostile environment.
NOW WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND. Why would anybody say. I want a motel!!I am not camping,or sleeping on the ground.I am not going if we are going to sleep outside. That is my son, and some others I know. I can't figure out why they can't see things the way I do.

Am I nuts, or do you agree with me?

What is it about camping that you enjoy so much?

I worry I am getting so old I won't be able to camp anymore. Without Riding, and camping. I don't know what I would do.I can't wait to go again
God bless.
Gary

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Gary I listen to people talk about going to the beach and say it is a lot of fun and that I should do it.

Sitting in the sand and getting grains of it in places it shouldn't be... Sitting only two feet from the families on either side... Having your lunch stolen by the aerial rats... Oh yea: that sounds like fun to me.

Point me to the mountains, and that's when you see a smile come across my face. Every mile that I ride while facing North and getting closer to the mountains, I feel the stress leaving my body. Yea, I like the woods too.

As far as camping is concerned, I like to sit around the fire at night and talk with those around me or if I am by myself, just sit and listen to natures orchestra. It is just the relaxation of not having anything that needs to be done or places to go. No Breaking News, Urgent Reports, Reality TV, America Idiot, or Factor This.

I can sum it up with Unplug and unwind!

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
While I totally agree with both of you I am compelled to point out the one thing that I take exception to: "I can't figure out why they can't see things the way I do." Isn't it wonderful that we all don't see things the way we do! What a boring world we would have and can you imagine how crowded those beautiful woods and mountains would become? I like it exactly how it is, let those folks stay in the motels or even back in the city in front of the TV. Much better for us all in the long run!

;):cheesygrin::thumbsup:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I spent a lot of years camping light. You can't carry all that much in a light airplane. The woman who hangs around here and I camped on river banks, in the mountains and on the shore of the Chuckchi sea. We traveled on the Kotzebue Sound and camped onshore from our sail equipped foldboat. We made float trips down the Noatak, Kobuck and many miles of the Yukon rivers camping on the banks. We enjoyed the solitude and beauty of the country in summer when the moquitoes were thick and in the winter when the it's silent except for the hiss of the wind over the snow.
Now I'm no longer a young or even middle aged man. The woman who hangs around here is no spring chicken either. Whether I travel solo or with here it's motels for me. I've had my share and as my 70th year approaches in a couple of months I no longer want to sleep on the ground, enjoy the bug bites, and go days at a time without a hot shower. I no longer enjoy crawling out of a two man tent into freezing sleet and wind. If you can't understand the above think about it when your reach old age. Then you'll understand.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
gary

I got a happy tingle reading your campfire story. i miss it and need to make time to get back to it.
Got to admit tho after twenty years as an Army grunt a nice bed sounds too good to pass up.
I've recently made a road trip, with saddle bags packed and hotel stops along the way to put your head after a full day of riding was awesome.
Maybe i'll look at getting closer to nature next time and pack a hooch.:applause::applause:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
I enjoy camping and do it, but sometimes the convenience and amenities of a hotel are nice too. I did some of both on my recent trip to CA with exavid and NaturalyGW for the WCWJAMR. To each their own though. I understand those that always want to camp and I also understand those the never want to camp and it doesn't bother me either way. :waving:

John

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
The things that I love about camping are too many. One of the main ones is the fact that I can go to bed when I want and the sun wakes me up in the morning, if i'm not too tired. I've slept on some shady mattresses in hotels (if you could call it sleep) and I can even understand why one would want to stay in hotels and such. For me though, It's camping as often as I can, at least until I'm much much older. :)

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
For some that have medical issues, it is the only way they can go. Carol had loved to take road trips when she could, but due to her Multiple Sclerosis, camping was not even a possibilty. So if we wanted to take an overnight trip it was either motel it or not go.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Clean air, clean bedding, clean food, no cigarette smoke in the drapes, no suspicious stains on the mattress.......

The sleep is deeper, the coffee sweeter, the joy more pronounced....camping until we die......

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for giving me your opinion. They are all Valid. i think I understand my sons reason too. He said he does not want to carry all that stuff that makes you comfortable in the woods.
God watch over all inside or outside. keep riding.
Gary

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I have to admit that I am in "the other camp." I like staying in small towns at a clean, family own motel... OR also in small towns... at reputable national chain.

This is not to say I do not understand your stance. From my teens until my late 30's I was a rabid backpacker. So as Exavid says... if camping from a aircraft is light camping... literally carrying EVERYTHING you need for a week on your own back... is ULTRA light camping. I have most of the equipment... and a lifetime of knowledge about light camping. I have seen 36 of the 50 highest points in the United States... I have camped at many! A few more than once. Most are "hike in only!" So I am not of weak nature or unwilling to endure hardship for the sake of the "camping experience."

But I am aging... and have a few health issues. (Not the least of which is arthritis exacerbated by a lifetime of heavy backpacking.) To some degree it depends on wheather "camping" is my goal... or I have some other destination in mind.

Am I "going camping"... or am I trying to schedule a trip to Simcoe, Ontario, Canada for a week long event called NASSIR 6? There and back from Texas. night after night, day after day, for about four to six weeks depending on how fast I move. I have found "I"... (meaning me... and me alone) move faster if I use local lodging rather than camping. I cannot camp night after night for weeks at a time, loading, unloading, setting up, cooking, cleaning, sleeping, breaking camp, re-loading, moving and doing it all over again the next night over and over and over again as cheaply or efficiently as I can rent rooms.

Let me offer these thoughts and real world observations...

1: For me to even consider "camping", I would have to have a trailer. All toll 300 bucks plus for a cheap one. MUCH, MUCH more for a better one... thousands even. Then I'd have to have a hitch. Then I would have to have a wiring harness. Then... once you are on the road I have it on pretty good authority that pulling the trailer will drag my mileage down about 10 MPG. That takes me from about 34 to 24 mpg. Cha-ching!

2: Are you going to cook along the way... or are you going to eat at resturants? If you are going to cook... that means a stove... cookware... plates... forks spoons, can openers, dish washing stuff... can openers... spatulas... papertowels... ziplocks... a cooler... ALL the stuff you need to cook on the road. Cha-Ching!

3: The last time I checked into a campground was at Big Bend National Park in 2008. It cost me $47 per night and did not include showers or water. AND... I had to make the reservation 14 months in advance with no refund for cancellation within the last 30 days.. Just on a lark... this last weekend I stopped at a KOA in Fredericksburg, Texas and inquired about their overnight tent rate... $21.00 per night! Cha-Ching!

This is not say there aren't cheaper places out there... but if they are out there... I don't seem to be able to find them... and the overhead of bedding, tents, air mattresses, cooking supplies... needs to be considered. Even way back in the 80's the overnight charge at Guadalupe National Park in Texas without water, showers and a chemical toilet over 200 yards away was $7 per night. I would suspect it is about $15 these days. Plus all the added cost of hauling water in on the trailer... the food... the cooking... the set up and break down.

Or...

In most cases (almost anywhere) I can get a clean comfortable room, with amenities like electricity, free wifi, AC, cable TV a hot shower, ice and nearby food and free breakfast for about $60 per night. Often less... sometimes a bit more. But in the end you need to consider all the perks.

At these free breakfast buffets they often have fruit and cellophane wrapped muffins and bagels... they have jams, honey and sometime peanut butter in squeeze pouches... which I deftly pocket and use on the road as my lunch. Free food! 2 meals per day for free. Cha-Ching!

They often have covered parking... a nice plus!

WiFi: I manage a few websites here and there and being able to stay abreast of updates from the road... extends the time I can stay out on the road.

They often have laundry rooms... It is nice to wash a few things along the way. That saves money too.

I find that getting on the road early is critical for me to make good daily averages. (5am) It is very difficult to clear, police and evacuate a campsite in the dark. A room expedites this for me... shortening the trip and saving money overall.

Oddly... smoking is fading from the scene in north america and I find that an increasing number of motel locations are entirely smoke free... which is nice and something I check for upon reserving a room.

Pay with a credit card linked to your frequent flyer account and you'll get points... sometimes double and triple points. (I have two round trip tickets standing with Delta now.) Cha-Ching!

And finally... I join customer loyalty programs for national chains and manage my reservations and bonus points online... often from the rooms of the chain I am staying in. Last summer, Days Inn had a "Stay 3 and get one free" deal that I REALLY racked up on. Okay... so the rooms averaged 69.00 per night... times 3 that's $207... divided by four for the free night's stay and that's 51.00 per night... with electricity... AC... with Wifi... with hot and cold water... and early start... secure parking... cable TV and Netflix... free breakfast... and a road lunch in my tail bag. Cha-Ching!

I am also partial to LaQuinta Inns, Super 8's and oddly Omni Hotels for larger urban venues. (I have two free rooms standing at Omni...)

So... while I can attest that I like "going camping"... that is not the same as saying I like to "camp my way around" the country. Going camping means going to one place... and staying for days and days. Otherwise it's the Days Inn for me... clean... comfortable... good cell service... fuel close at hand... an early start and greater mileage the next day... handle some business from the room... check my email... write long posts to the Steve Saunders site... two free meals the following day... and RIDE!

IMHO, camping:
1. Extends the trip... which cost extra money and time I do not posses.
2. Drags down my gas mileage... and eats up my road time, which costs even more money.
3. Due to my health, it causes me additional physical stress... which at my age, slows me down, extends the trip which cost more money.
4. And there is nothing worse than farting in a sleeping bag...
Because your head is at the only outlet.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
How do you do it Travis??

How do you take my thoughts right out of my head and so elegantly put them into words, and then have those words make a coherent statement.........

Thats exactly how I feel about camping! Very well put!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
I find that getting on the road early is critical for me to make good daily averages. (5am) It is very difficult to clear, police and evacuate a campsite in the dark. A room expedites this for me... shortening the trip and saving money overall.QUOTE]

Nice and well thought out post, thanks. I have a question about one thing though, quoted above. Where do you find hotels/motels that serve their free breakfast at 5 AM? The earliest I've seen with most is 6-6:30.

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to admit that I am in "the other camp." I like staying in small towns at a clean, family own motel... OR also in small towns... at reputable national chain.

This is not to say I do not understand your stance. From my teens until my late 30's I was a rabid backpacker. So as Exavid says... if camping from a aircraft is light camping... literally carrying EVERYTHING you need for a week on your own back... is ULTRA light camping. I have most of the equipment... and a lifetime of knowledge about light camping. I have seen 36 of the 50 highest points in the United States... I have camped at many! A few more than once. Most are "hike in only!" So I am not of weak nature or unwilling to endure hardship for the sake of the "camping experience."

But I am aging... and have a few health issues. (Not the least of which is arthritis exacerbated by a lifetime of heavy backpacking.) To some degree it depends on wheather "camping" is my goal... or I have some other destination in mind.

Am I "going camping"... or am I trying to schedule a trip to Simcoe, Ontario, Canada for a week long event called NASSIR 6? There and back from Texas. night after night, day after day, for about four to six weeks depending on how fast I move. I have found "I"... (meaning me... and me alone) move faster if I use local lodging rather than camping. I cannot camp night after night for weeks at a time, loading, unloading, setting up, cooking, cleaning, sleeping, breaking camp, re-loading, moving and doing it all over again the next night over and over and over again as cheaply or efficiently as I can rent rooms.

Let me offer these thoughts and real world observations...

1: For me to even consider "camping", I would have to have a trailer. All toll 300 bucks plus for a cheap one. MUCH, MUCH more for a better one... thousands even. Then I'd have to have a hitch. Then I would have to have a wiring harness. Then... once you are on the road I have it on pretty good authority that pulling the trailer will drag my mileage down about 10 MPG. That takes me from about 34 to 24 mpg. Cha-ching!

2: Are you going to cook along the way... or are you going to eat at resturants? If you are going to cook... that means a stove... cookware... plates... forks spoons, can openers, dish washing stuff... can openers... spatulas... papertowels... ziplocks... a cooler... ALL the stuff you need to cook on the road. Cha-Ching!

3: The last time I checked into a campground was at Big Bend National Park in 2008. It cost me $47 per night and did not include showers or water. AND... I had to make the reservation 14 months in advance with no refund for cancellation within the last 30 days.. Just on a lark... this last weekend I stopped at a KOA in Fredericksburg, Texas and inquired about their overnight tent rate... $21.00 per night! Cha-Ching!

This is not say there aren't cheaper places out there... but if they are out there... I don't seem to be able to find them... and the overhead of bedding, tents, air mattresses, cooking supplies... needs to be considered. Even way back in the 80's the overnight charge at Guadalupe National Park in Texas without water, showers and a chemical toilet over 200 yards away was $7 per night. I would suspect it is about $15 these days. Plus all the added cost of hauling water in on the trailer... the food... the cooking... the set up and break down.

Or...

In most cases (almost anywhere) I can get a clean comfortable room, with amenities like electricity, free wifi, AC, cable TV a hot shower, ice and nearby food and free breakfast for about $60 per night. Often less... sometimes a bit more. But in the end you need to consider all the perks.

At these free breakfast buffets they often have fruit and cellophane wrapped muffins and bagels... they have jams, honey and sometime peanut butter in squeeze pouches... which I deftly pocket and use on the road as my lunch. Free food! 2 meals per day for free. Cha-Ching!

They often have covered parking... a nice plus!

WiFi: I manage a few websites here and there and being able to stay abreast of updates from the road... extends the time I can stay out on the road.

They often have laundry rooms... It is nice to wash a few things along the way. That saves money too.

I find that getting on the road early is critical for me to make good daily averages. (5am) It is very difficult to clear, police and evacuate a campsite in the dark. A room expedites this for me... shortening the trip and saving money overall.

Oddly... smoking is fading from the scene in north america and I find that an increasing number of motel locations are entirely smoke free... which is nice and something I check for upon reserving a room.

Pay with a credit card linked to your frequent flyer account and you'll get points... sometimes double and triple points. (I have two round trip tickets standing with Delta now.) Cha-Ching!

And finally... I join customer loyalty programs for national chains and manage my reservations and bonus points online... often from the rooms of the chain I am staying in. Last summer, Days Inn had a "Stay 3 and get one free" deal that I REALLY racked up on. Okay... so the rooms averaged 69.00 per night... times 3 that's $207... divided by four for the free night's stay and that's 51.00 per night... with electricity... AC... with Wifi... with hot and cold water... and early start... secure parking... cable TV and Netflix... free breakfast... and a road lunch in my tail bag. Cha-Ching!

I am also partial to LaQuinta Inns, Super 8's and oddly Omni Hotels for larger urban venues. (I have two free rooms standing at Omni...)

So... while I can attest that I like "going camping"... that is not the same as saying I like to "camp my way around" the country. Going camping means going to one place... and staying for days and days. Otherwise it's the Days Inn for me... clean... comfortable... good cell service... fuel close at hand... an early start and greater mileage the next day... handle some business from the room... check my email... write long posts to the Steve Saunders site... two free meals the following day... and RIDE!

IMHO, camping:
1. Extends the trip... which cost extra money and time I do not posses.
2. Drags down my gas mileage... and eats up my road time, which costs even more money.
3. Due to my health, it causes me additional physical stress... which at my age, slows me down, extends the trip which cost more money.
4. And there is nothing worse than farting in a sleeping bag...
Because your head is at the only outlet.
WOW! I am 65. I was on a heart transplant list 5 years ago. I pull a pop up over 70,000 miles, and get 40mph (with my 2010) not my new one yet but it only has 3500 miles on so far.( had it three weeks.) I do see your point. But ask Dusty Boots, he can tell you of a lot of camping and riding.
God bless my friend.
Gary.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,647 Posts
Travis,

You just made a very eloquent post that states exactly the reason that the wife and I "camp out" only at places with a "free breakfast" thrown in.

We made it a trifle shorter than your essay, we just say that the breakfast amortizes the cost of the room and it all works out, and increases our ease of speed in the early AM for departure. ( Early for us is about 8 AM these days)

Don't even have to fire up the vehicle until after breakfast is done, the potty break is handled, and the bags are thrown back in the car/bike; whichever... and then we are gone.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
When traveling we like motels etc. beds, coffee, showers. When we camp we enjoy taking our time, having a fire, site seeing, visiting with other campers etc. Both have there perpose. And I must say I do like a nice bed at night!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Gary
On occasion when I am MC camping I also have had that thought. I then smile :grin: and think to myself I am glad. If everybody was doing it, my campsite would not be quiet and secluded. I could not read my book in peace. There are some campsites here in Idaho, you can go and not see ANYONE if you go far enough out. (and it is MC friendly as long as you don't mind a little gravel here and there.:action:
so....while I understand what you mean, I am glad it is the way it is.:p

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I understand...... but, then I am a Motel owner...

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,647 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think the "rofl" is all caps, not lowercase.

I too just type in the emoticon symbols, faster for me than trying to bring up the emoticon page.

Okay, trying it here : R O F L : (no spaces) :ROFL:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.