Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had another thread here about a possible broken belt on my frt. tire. An Avon Venom with 2800 mi. on it. Took off the wheel after work today and after removing it it was then I noticed the tire had NO AIR! DUH! I filled it back up and spun it and the tire is all nice and round again with no bumps or wobbles. The side walls are so stiff on these I couldn't tell it was flat by squeezing it. I had to push down on the tire with both hands to feel that it was soft. A good lesson learned. Don't check your tires by appearance or by pushing on the side wall. I noticed my speed sensor's grease is getting all dry and stiff. Is there a way to grease these and any special grease used?::?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Actually it's not the sensor itself but the gear box.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i always joke a friend who kicks both of his tires. i always ask. Oh you got those boots with built in pressure sensor please check mine! hahaha

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Hey don't feel bad,

I did worse than you. I bought my wing from an older couple and after the first ride I told them that it felt funny. Kinda mushy to me.

Also that the throttle cable was sticking as the throttle was real slow to return to idle.

And I thought the rear brakes needed changing as the pedal was so low.

Well I bought the bike. And rode for almost a week before the weekend came and I found the front tire was FLAT. That was the mushy feeling.

Also the choke was half on, So that's why the throttle was slow in returning and the low pedal is what I still have even with a new rear rotor and new pads.

Made me feel kinda stupid and I often wonder what the PO thought.

They may have thought I was trying to get the price lower but they didn't move an inch anyway.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Everytime I put on a new tire, I take the speedo gearbox apart, spray it will a parts cleaner, and add a dab of wheel bearing grease to the gears.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Mine was not low air but when we were up in Asheville, NC at the first of November, two up with the trailer on, the wife kept saying she smelled rubber burning each time we stopped. I took a look at the tires and they looked fine and were full up wiith air.

I could smell it too but I thought I might have gotten the rubber drain hoses too close to the exhaust manifold when I took the Voyager kit off the bike.

Then the morning we left Asheville, it had frozen up there that night and I noticed once rolling I didn't have any foot brake. I figured the seals had gotten too cold and started pumping it like mad to get it going and sure enough back it came.

Then I noticed that when we went up steep hills on the BRP, I had to downshift where I hadn't thought I had to before. Sooner anyway. Figured it was just the load.

Seemed a little sluggish though. And I had just put on new Michies the weekend before too.

I also noticed that the foot brake while working had some of the nose dive that the front brake has not the normal level stop and not as strong stopping either.
By this time I know I'm going to have to see if I got some grease or leaking brake fluid on the rear caliper or something when I get home.

So a couple of days later and a few hundred mountain riding miles later we get home. Same rubber smell.

Parked the bike for two weeks due to busy and bad weather until my brother came out for Thanksgiving. We were going to pull his CX500 into the garage to work on it and when I started to push my bike out of the garage, I could hear squeaking rubber sound and some resistance.... not good.

Got it outside and up on the center stand on some wood and took a look.

One bolt was completely out of the caliper but held from falling out by the side box and the other bolt was loose. The caliper had swung up pivoting on the upper bolt and was rubbing on the side of the tire. It was held there because when it swung up and I pumped it back up again in Asheville, it closed the pads and returned functionality to the front brake only. The closed pads prevented the caliper from coming back down. Hence the front fork dive effect.

The side of the tire wall was worn in as if you intended to insert a white wall stripe. Rubber crumbs all over the shock. Never got down to the cord but there was a disaster in the making.

The bike was sending signals all along and I was ignoring them.

Feel better with the low tire yet? :baffled: :dude:

I'm drilling the bolt heads and pinning the two bolt heads with a rod next time I pull that caliper. :cooldevil:

Had to be me when I changed the tire not getting the pins tight enough.

Guess you gotta die sometime.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Uh, as you can see, you're not alone. I was having trouble backing mine out of the garage and mileage had gone to crap. As many years as I have maintained vehicles and other equipment and something as simple as tire pressure was neglected. My rear tire didn't look like it needed air, even with my large self on the bike, but when I checked, it had less than 10psi. So, back to 42psi and it was like I had a new bike. as Homer would say, Doh! Now I have to find the very slooooooow leak and fix. Jim(in SC)

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

mikef wrote:
Everytime I put on a new tire, I take the speedo gearbox apart, spray it will a parts cleaner, and add a dab of wheel bearing grease to the gears.
How does that gear box come apart?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure about the 1100's, but on the 1200's and 1500's, once you pull the axle to take off the front tire, the box is exposed. Should just be a washer like ring you need to pull off to get to the nylon gear.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Service Manual, in the Wheel Assembly Section, says to use multipurpose grease of the speedometer gear box. I use whatever is in my grease gun at the time.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

ditto

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

A while back I tore into my fuel pump looking for a problem only to find that I had bumped the kill switch while pulling in the drive.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

treker8098 wrote:
A while back I tore into my fuel pump looking for a problem only to find that I had bumped the kill switch while pulling in the drive.
Oh man,,,,,,,,, that kill switch can cause you to tear the bike half apart,,,,,,, don't ask how I know that:gunhead:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.