Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My goldwing was feeling suicidal and was overheating right after I bought it, so i took it back for warranty work. Here is a list of what was done, for free.

New thermostat
New Water Pump
New Fan Switch
New 7v regulator
New Progressive 416's

I have it back, and it no longer overheats. I have put 500 abusive miles on it to weed out any more problems and here is what I found:

New rear shocks helped to point out the lack of front fork springs. I am sure they are actually there, just shot. When you brake, the forks dive, and bottom out and start hitting stuff. Also in hard braking, I become unable to make small directional corrections the forks are so bottomed out.

As for the temp, it is not overheating but the gauge is broken. I think.

If i start out cold, and do my normal commute which involves mostly open road and freeway, the temp gauge will climb about 25% of the way +/- a hair. Right in that area where the white line goes from small to bigger.

If I am in stop and go traffic, it climbs to about the 2/3 area and moves a small amount as the fan cycles on and off.

If I am going down the highway and open it up to 80-85 mph (feels like it's really pushing the engine) the temp will slowly climb to about the half way mark or a few needle widths above. And hover there. At one point on an open road I Held it wide open for a long time, and it climbed up close to the 2/3 mark, but i don't think it was hot enough for the fan to kick in.

Overall, I think this is normal, and the problem is solved. This winter's projects will include:

New timing belts
Fork rebuild with progressive springs
Fix the radio
Wheel bearings

I am so excited, and this is the first chance I have had to tell everyone. I have a bike again!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I can't confirm the high speed temps but the other tests appear just like mine.

Good luck with the rest.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Speed Demon,

I too had a wish washy front on my bike (82 Aspencade). I simply drained the fork oil completely and put in the proper amount of ATF. It was like a new bike for me after. Amazing what a few hours of time can do and $15 for ATF. It’s not hard at all.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

ITs hard to beat a set of Progressive springs for the front forks . Less than a $100 bucks I think when I bought some on fleabay.

If the temp gauge is moving , than its working . Your temp explanation sounds normal to me as well . You state the fan cycles . I'd say all is good there .

Not sure how much you ride or what the miles are but your takling about a bike thats at best 26 yrs old . Get them belts changed man .

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i have never had the temp gauge to climb to the big white on highway speeds. but might be normal on the 1100 since the RPMS are higher.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I did change the fork oil, but it did not help.

I found that the bike gets good MPG's. between 40 and 41 the last three tanks. Even being mean to it.

The radio is getting removed and sent in soon.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The amazing thing about this post is that it's an 1100 being repaired on warrenty!:shock:
Never heard of such a thing after 1984 (when the '83s ran out of warrenty)

Hey speeddemonbn86 you must got a hell of a deal!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I bought it from a place in Wisconsin called Road Track and Trail. They have something like 600 used bikes in their store at all times, and only deal in used. All of their bikes come with a 30 day/3000 mile warranty. It is supposed to cover 50% of everything, but I got kinda mad since it overheated on the way home from buying it, and they covered my half too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.