Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My rear tire is almost worn downto the wear bars so with much research, deliberation and agony on my part, I ordered a Dunlop 175R16 Austone tire. It is practically the same deminsions as the E3 it will replace. By the time I receive it my current tire should be ready to be replaced. I am looking forward to trying it now that I have taken the leap. If everything I read is correct, I will only be pulling the rear wheel off to grease the splines and check the rear bearings once a year for several years to come!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Dubs;

I think you have more room on the Valk then we have on the wing. When I installed mine I had to remove the mud flap under the seat in order to keep the tire from rubbing it when you hit bumps.

The tire is taller than the E3 (~3/4")and you need to check front to back clearance before putting everything back together. Side to side the tire is actually more narrow than the E3 by a very small amount.

Because the Valk is different weight than the wing can't say what pressure to start with (maybe someone who has a Valk could chime in), but the tire is very forgiving and has a wide range of comfortable pressures you can run at. Start up near 40psi and move around from there, at 30'ish the tire willmove a bit more than I think you will be comfortable with (especially if you are pulling a trailer or riding two up).

Safe riding.

:action:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

SaiBeer, Thanks for the information! I have several friends running 205s on their Valks at 36 PSI so I would think that is where I will wind up. I doubt 30 would be enough. I didn't want a taller tire because of my 29 inch inseam but it shouldn't make that much difference. I wanted the most narrow car tire that I could get that best matched the size of the tire already on the bike. From all I have read, this is one great tire that is easy to get used to.

Dubs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.